2016 Idaho Wilderness bucks

martin_shooter

Lil-Rokslider
Buddy and I went 2/2 on spot and stalks on our deer hunt. Packed in about 6 miles and hunted from there. First morning out we spot my buddies deer, make the stalk, and he gets a 150yd shot. Third one is the charm and we bone his deer out. Decide to leave it hanging there overnight as it was cooler than where we were camped. Next morning buddy goes to pack his meat and I go glassing. Hike about 3 miles from camp to a spot where I could see several different drainages and miles of country. After about 2 hours of glassing and not seeing any deer I used the spotter to glass the farthest drainage I could see. I spot a group of muley butts and spent about 15 min fiddeling with the focus on my vortex trying to make out any details through the heat waves. I finally can tell one deer has antlers. I look at my gps and figure the deer are 3.5 miles with about 4k feet in elevation change away. I stick all my stuff in the pack and take off for the drainage they were in. I make it there in a little over an hour and cant find any sign of them. I climb back up the mountain I just came down about 700 feet to a rock outcropping where I could see most of the bottom. I spot a group of deer feeding in a mountain mahogany patch and make my way toward them. I came upon the deer several hundred yards sooner than I expected, but the mountain mahogany kept me hidden. I saw the old brute trying to sneak around behind his group of 4 does. He stopped between some trees showing me only antler tips and the neck/ shoulder junction. Made an accurate 50 yard neck shot and downed one of the largest mulies I've ever seen alive. It was a long hike back to camp with 80+ pounds of deer on my back and an ever longer hike out the next morning with our deer and camp. Wouldn't have it any other way!

Buddies deer

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Both are some great bucks but yours is a truly a special deer

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Congratulations on fantastic animals, hard earned and well deserved!!!

Awesome! Great story, sound like you worked hard for him. It's always worth it though, especially when you down a beauty like that. He is a toad!

Juan_ID

WKR
Looks like you guys had a great season, congrats to you both! Your buck is a flat out stud!

mcr-85

WKR
Sounds like a good trip. Awesome bucks, especially yours! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Wow! Great deer guys! Congrats. I bet that hunt was an absolute blast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk