2016 Alaska Draw Results are out

Flojoe

FNG
I know I'm a little late to this thread, but new to the forum. I was one of those lucky few that drew the DS203 tag! Needless to say, I'm pretty friggin excited.

Snyd- would love to hear more about your hunt in that area. Have you posted anywhere in the forums about your hunts?

Floorguy

WKR
Does that trail at the end of maud go up into the mountains or down into knik river bed?
Neither, it dead ends in between the two. There might be a trail that goes up, but it isn't well defined.
You could go to the rifle range and shoot one of the sheep above the range if it tumbles right you wouldn't even have to do hardly any climbing.

Ray

WKR
To get to Friday creek you need to ride along the Knik, cross Jim creek then head up towards the hills. I've walked all over the Jim Lake trails at the end of Maud and unless someone has recently cut a new trail, they just loop around back to the pit above Jim Lake.
Most the critters on the lower hillsides are ewes with lambs and goats. But you never know what could be hiding in there for an any ram tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AK4

FNG
Thanks guys I'm heading up that way on the wheeler this time home to take a closer look.

Thanks guys I'm heading up that way on the wheeler this time home to take a closer look.

I've hunted that area by accessing either on foot (walking from Jim Lake), or by canoe before it went to draw. Either one would be my choice over an ATV, although that would get you to the mouth of Friday Creek if that's an area you want to look at. The last guy I know that hunted it on a draw tag reported that the number of good rams was pretty slim, as you would expect with the general population woes in the Chugach. Might have to look a while for something decent. Despite good ground access in places, you might still consider flying in as an option.

Yk

Maverick940

Banned
Ron:

For that hunt area and during any given hunt period within that hunt area, you can sometimes presume that 40% of permittees will be in both forks of Friday Creek and that at least 20% of permittees will be in both forks of Wolverine Creek. That's not a hard-and-fast rule, but it tends to be the case in most years. You can also figure that about 10% will not hunt. So, you can thereby presume that 30% of the permittees will be trying to access sheep via walking along the Matanuska Peak Trail or via ATV access from the Knik River. That information might help you narrow things down to a specific location that's worthwhile and aesthetically pleasing.

Maverick

AK4

FNG
Thanks for all the good info guys, I am flying in for the hunt, the wheeler trip is to just get out and enjoy spring with a little hiking / glassing and figuring out the area a bit more, I feel extremely lucky to have pulled this tag and want to make the most out of the opportunity. The break down in theoretical percentages is great info and I look forward to the challenges the mountains will bring (just hopefully not to many of them!) talk about an addiction even when you havnt hunted sheep yet! It has started!

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
No sheep tags for us this year, I think I must have run my luck out when I drew DS204 2 times in 3 years, sure would like to see the wife draw one for a change.

For anyone that's drawn the DS204 tag, if you happen to be hunting up Riley Creek or Jarvis, swing by our camp (The Taj Mahal) and say hey and I might be able to point you in the right direction to find a ram if you haven't had any luck on your own. We'll be there moose hunting from the 4th to the 15th.