2015 NV mule deer hunt w/ Jimmy (slim Jim)

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
A big thunder cell with rain came in on us and I don't like lightning so I high tailed it back to camp. Getting caught high on a ridge line with thunderstorms scares the hell out of me! While at camp tented up, we played cards for a bit till it cleared up. Glassing now but it looks like another cell is getting ready to hit us. Maybe that's why we're not seeing bucks today.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
It just now stopped raining. It poured hard with heavy winds. I think the morning is going to be great!

Travis, I'm on airplane mode most of the time. I tried checking the message you left but it won't load

Shrek

WKR
Good thing about the rain is it will wash away all the scent you two have been leaving and help the deer settle down. Good hunting !

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Nothing all morning so far but young bucks. Hopefully we spot something soon so we can put him to bed and go to work

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Since nothing good showed itself, I decided to head down to the spot where I've shot my last 2 deer and there is a 22" wide tall fork below me at 220 yards. I wish he was the big 4 cause the wind is perfect right now.
Gabe stayed back at camp where he spotted a 135" class 4x5. He's contemplating going after him. He doesn't really want to shoot anything smaller than a 140" class but we'll see

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Once I got back to camp, Gabe said he went after the deer but got winded at about 100 yards out.
This afternoon we're going to glass up a peak that's holding the biggest deer we've seen so far on this trip. I don't want to go anywhere near him tonight because I don't want to push him. I know where he beds and it's not stalkable. His beds are at the top of the peak where there is some nasty boulders and shale all around so it's very hard to be quiet. My plan is to get up there real early and beat him to his bed. Hopefully it works out. Even if not, from that peak we can glass up the other side of the basin where I seen the big 4 on the way in.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Once I got back to camp, Gabe said he went after the deer but got winded at about 100 yards out.
This afternoon we're going to glass up a peak that's holding the biggest deer we've seen so far on this trip. I don't want to go anywhere near him tonight because I don't want to push him. I know where he beds and it's not stalkable. His beds are at the top of the peak where there is some nasty boulders and shale all around so it's very hard to be quiet. My plan is to get up there real early and beat him to his bed. Hopefully it works out. Even if not, from that peak we can glass up the other side of the basin where I seen the big 4 on the way in.

Sounds like a plan!

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
We didn't turn up the big boy but we did locate the herd he was with the other day. There is a nice 4x3 that looks to be about 170" in that group. We'll see what comes to bed in the morning.
I will update in the morning. Now for some ramen and tuna for dinner

keep at it Jim - you have me at the edge of my seat. Will join the fight in just over 2 weeks !

NVCHUKAR

WKR
Thanks for all the posts ets me excited. I wont be able to get out in the field until september chasing some cow elk directly east of you guys on the other side of the valley and the my buddies bull in october. So until then i am hunting through your posts. I hope you nail a toad of a buck.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Put em to bed and greet em for breakfast. As one of my traditional buddies says, "If there is wood in the air, there is hope!"

Randy