2014 long range idaho black bear

I was able to take this boar while he was feeding in an avalanche chute at 916 yards. Thought id share my success. I was a little disappointed to see he had no hair on his face and paws. it looked like he had frost bite on his face and paws, maybe from choosing a bad den location. A friend of mine said he had heard of bears getting mites that acted like mange on bears. It didn't look like he had rubbed his hair off to me. He still had long hair between his toes and pad suggesting he hadn't been out of the den long. He was also feeding in an open chute right below the snow line.027.jpg028.jpg What does everyone else think?

Shrek

WKR
Congratulations ! Looks like great shooting and a nice bear. Too bad about the face and front legs but luckily you don't eat that and the skull will look great .

littlebuf

Banned
nice shooting, but yup ugly bear. its all good though. hopefully that will be our out come here in 11 days.

Nice job! I've seen a couple of bears like that on the face, but they had lots of swollen ticks on them:) I shot an old boar with half of his face bald. He had 3 fight scars where the hair was missing. Your bear looked like he shaved! Fire maybe?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I shot a bear that was bald with lots of scars on his head. The taxidermist said it was probably caused by a bait barrel. Looked much different than yours though! Maybe he saw our Manscaping thread:)

littlebuf

Banned
maybe he shaved his head so no one would shoot him. guess he hadn't heard about long range hunting ;)