20 primal

gabenzeke

WKR
Is anyone else watching primal rights Instagram? It looks like he improved a 22 creedmoor and necked it down to 20. Getting above 5000 fps. Looks pretty cool. But I read somewhere at that velocity you're nearing the melting point of copper from friction flying through the air.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

It's interesting that his bullets aren't coming apart since he is spinning them so fast. I could see building one for coyote hunting.

B23

WKR
That sounds like a extremely hot load if anyone is sending them at 5000 fps. I have a 20-250 with a 26in Krieger that I had built to specifically shoot the Berger 55's and I'm not even remotely close to those kinds of velocities.

My smith built a 20-243, can't remember if it was a "improved" version or not, because he wanted to consistently shoot the 55's at 4000fps. If I recall it pressured out at around 4100 and I believe he smoked two different barrels trying to get it to shoot better than about .5's. My 20-250 shoots the 55's best at 3750. I've pushed harder but it doesn't like it and the groups start scattering about.

That sounds like a extremely hot load if anyone is sending them at 5000 fps. I have a 20-250 with a 26in Krieger that I had built to specifically shoot the Berger 55's and I'm not even remotely close to those kinds of velocities.

My smith built a 20-243, can't remember if it was a "improved" version or not, because he wanted to consistently shoot the 55's at 4000fps. If I recall it pressured out at around 4100 and I believe he smoked two different barrels trying to get it to shoot better than about .5's. My 20-250 shoots the 55's best at 3750. I've pushed harder but it doesn't like it and the groups start scattering about.
I think it was the 32 grain that was 5100+ fps. He also said he was leaning on it so be careful. I haven't seen any 55 grain numbers yet. It seems like he is trying to hype it up instead of just coming out with the info.

B23

WKR
I think it was the 32 grain that was 5100+ fps. He also said he was leaning on it so be careful. I haven't seen any 55 grain numbers yet. It seems like he is trying to hype it up instead of just coming out with the info.
Even with a 32 grainer that's gotta be an extremely hot load load to get those kinds of velocities. Is this Greg that's doing this 20 Creed or 20 Creed improved?

Even with a 32 grainer that's gotta be an extremely hot load load to get those kinds of velocities. Is this Greg that's doing this 20 Creed or 20 Creed improved?
I have never played with a 20 cal so I wouldn't know. Yes from Primal Rights.

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
I think it's definitely a hot load, and yeah, it was the 32 grainers. 5100 plus is what he's getting, and it doesn't seem like he's doing it often....more or less for publicity.

He’s got a thread on long range hunting about it, suspose to be posting numbers over there.

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
I would love to have a 20 cal rifle launching 55's at 4k for a calling rifle. But I wouldn't want to replace barrels that often.

B23

WKR
I would love to have a 20 cal rifle launching 55's at 4k for a calling rifle. But I wouldn't want to replace barrels that often.
Not that 20 cal barrels are easy to find in stock but fast twist 20 cal barrels are even harder to find and since they aren't particularly something barrel makers sell a lot of the wait time is often longer then the more popular calibers.

When I had my 20-250 built to shoot the Berger 55's the wait time with Krieger was around 9 months for a 20 cal barrel and knowing a 20-250 is going to be a little rough on throats I just went ahead and ordered two at the same time.

These overbore 20's I don't think you want to mess around doing much load development trying different bullets or powders that's for sure.

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
Not that 20 cal barrels are easy to find in stock but fast twist 20 cal barrels are even harder to find and since they aren't particularly something barrel makers sell a lot of the wait time is often longer then the more popular calibers.

When I had my 20-250 built to shoot the Berger 55's the wait time with Krieger was around 9 months for a 20 cal barrel and knowing a 20-250 is going to be a little rough on throats I just went ahead and ordered two at the same time.

These overbore 20's I don't think you want to mess around doing much load development trying different bullets or powders that's for sure.
Did you ever shoot coyotes with your 20-250? Curious what the fur damage was like