20 gauge slug gun help with purchase

OP
Legend

Legend

WKR
Here is the update.

I bought the stainless model from The Modern Sportsman in MN. They were great to work with. I called and they went in the back and grabbed the gun off the shelf. They took photos of the barrel nut connection and it looked great. So I bought it and sent it to my ffl in MT. Shipping was 4 days.

Took it to the range today and.....I'll be damned if it doesn't actually shoot a 1 inch group at 100yds. I was using the remington accutip 260grn in 3 inch.

I am impressed.

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
FYI.

I've been playing around with one a lot in the past year. The parkerized version, not stainless. The action and bolt release were extremely rough to use. I didn't have the hard bolt issue, but it all would bind up easily and was just rough feeling. They got a little better over time, but not much better. I filed down the plastic button/metal mating surfaces on the bolt release and it's totally different now. I don't fight it at all. I also put a bunch of lapping compound on and in the bolt where parts rub (not on the lugs like you're lapping lugs), and in the raceways in the receiver. Then I just cycled the hell out of it. I sent the bolt body off to get jeweled just for ascetics and checked headspace to make sure. Anyway, it's like a totally different gun now. I mean, it's not super smooth or anything, but it's so much better than it was. It took a ton of metal out of the machine marks.

I bought the thing NIB for a song at a local gun shop. The owner said a good customer ordered two a few years before, but cancelled one. It'd been sitting for a long time and he just wanted it out. I went in to see if he could order me one and I found it. He was like, "That's a pretty good price. I'm like...lol, you're at like 1/3 of retail now." So if I jacked the bolt all up I'd still be in for less money than a new one now.

If you adjust the length on the accustock, be extra careful. I did that a couple times (lubed them too) and the bottom plastic where the screw goes in in is all jacked up (started splitting) and I was careful. A new one is $$$. I ended up just gobbing a bunch of devcon steel in there to hold the screw.

jrl80

FNG
Mossberg 500 20ga with a rifled cantilever barrel. It’s hard to beat. Good accuracy with rounds doing 1600-1700fps.