20" barrel too short for 6.5-284 Norma?

I have a Remington Sportsman 78 in .30-06 (identical to 700 action as near as I can tell) that I got from my late uncle. I want to use the action for a project because I'll likely never use it as a .30-06 given everything else already in the gun safe. It would be used for tree stand whitetail hunting (maybe), mule deer, and I possibly would carry it occasionally for elk on nasty hikes if I don't feel like lugging my .300 Win around. My thought is a shorter barrel around 20" to keep the weight down. I don't plan on using this for extremely long shots, so I'm not looking for max performance. I know I'm wasting cartridge potential with that short of a barrel. But, I'm curious whether anyone else is using this cartridge on a barrel that short, what twist your barrel is, what bullets you're using, and whether you like that setup before I go any further. I'm also curious if there's another cartridge someone thinks I should consider. I'm honestly only thinking of the 6.5-284 because I've always thought it was a cool cartridge. I also really like the .260 Rem, but I would prefer to build one of those on a short action. Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.

20" will be fine, but I'd lean towards a 24-26" light contour if you're concerned with weight. If you're using a suppressor I'd go 20" 100%. When I had my 6.5x284 I used 140 VLD's and they worked great in an 8 twist.

OP
Radosilver
Thanks. I should have probably included that I am planning to shoot suppressed. I am also leaning toward VLDs or ELD-X in that 140 range...but more likely the VLDs. I had an issue with a 212 .30 cal ELD-X at short range. 143 in 6.5 might be a completely different story though.

My last 6.5-06 was a 21" barrel. It did just fine. Load heavies with fast powders to get the most out of it. You may give up 150-200fps over a 26" barrel, but with today's optics and in almost every hunting situation that 99% of us are in, you won't be undergunned at all.

The 6.5-284 is a great old round too. You could also consider doing a .260 AI throated appropriately for 145+ grain bullets or some of the heavier mono-bullets. That way you could seat them out further and make use of the extra mag space the LA will give you.

Carbon vs stainless is purely personal preference. A 3B or similar contour stainless barrel will be lighter than a Proof Sendero type carbon and half the price. It also seems like the majority of poorly performing barrels that are produced are carbon wrapped, regardless of MFG and stainless has a much lower percentage of poor quality barrels. You can also have a stainless barrel fluted for maximum weight savings or if you simply want it fluted for looks.

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
I just finished (eh, is a build ever REALLY finished?) on a Howa action.
1:8 twist 20" carbon barrel
6.5-284 Norma
Stocky's CF VG2 stock
Banish Backcountry suppressor is still in ATF jail
Shooting ELD-X and ELD-M in 143 and 147 grain varieties.

Dunno what the velocity is yet as some dummy broke his chronograph when a gust of wind knocked the tripod over.

First groups came in at 0.22 MOA

A cabin build has waylaid load development for the moment but I was using Lapua brass, and 52.0 (?) grains of IMR4831 powder, and whatever primers I could scrounge up.
EDIT: IMR 4831 powder not H4831

Last edited:
OP
Radosilver
I just finished (eh, is a build ever REALLY finished?) on a Howa action.
1:8 twist 20" carbon barrel
6.5-284 Norma
Stocky's CF VG2 stock
Banish Backcountry suppressor is still in ATF jail
Shooting ELD-X and ELD-M in 143 and 147 grain varieties.

Dunno what the velocity is yet as some dummy broke his chronograph when a gust of wind knocked the tripod over.

First groups came in at 0.22 MOA

A cabin build has waylaid load development for the moment but I was using Lapua brass, and 52.0 (?) grains of H4831 powder, and whatever primers I could scrounge up.
That sounds a lot like what I'm aiming for. Thanks for sharing the details.

BDWMT

FNG
I started with a 24” 6.5-284 then built another with 22” and wish I would have went with 20”. It still pushes 140 Berger’s fast enough to be effective at long range without a problem.

Thank you. Do you have any thoughts on carbon vs stainless, or contour if planning to shoot suppressed with a 20" barrel?

I would go with a SS barrel and either flute it for a small weight savings gain, or leave it so that if you want to cut it down even more you can.