2 stroke dirt bike for older rider?

OP
J
Think I want lighter weight (both bikes are probably 270lbs wet) and boring.

I'd have no issue w GasGas or Beta....but if it's a decent bike in 2014ish vintage...they go quick and generally $6K. Like to find juuuuust a little cheaper than that.

Braaap

WKR
Think I want lighter weight (both bikes are probably 270lbs wet) and boring.

I'd have no issue w GasGas or Beta....but if it's a decent bike in 2014ish vintage...they go quick and generally $6K. Like to find juuuuust a little cheaper than that.
I saw a 2016 ktm 250xc near me with low hours for $3,800 recently. That would be a great bike for a great price. The ktm 200 and 250 are more fun motors than the 300.

180ls1

WKR
Ive owned the 300 and the 380. The 380 was my favorite, that low end grunt was nice. However, no fuel injection. FI is worth the $$$.

I would also highly recommend a Rekluse clutch, game changer.
Lowering the gear ratio with a front sprocket is also money well spent.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
KTM 150, 200, or Beta 200.

300s are kind of boring.
How is a bike with more snap boring? I don’t disagree all the bikes you listed are great single track motorcycles. I’m just curious on the boring part and what your expectations are. I rode today with a very good rider on a 125. He did fine but he worked a lot harder than us. He like the 125 for the challenge.

Braaap

WKR
How is a bike with more snap boring? I don’t disagree all the bikes you listed are great single track motorcycles. I’m just curious on the boring part and what your expectations are. I rode today with a very good rider on a 125. He did fine but he worked a lot harder than us. He like the 125 for the challenge.
I found the 300 boring also. It’s smooth, no hit, and doesn’t have the typical quick revving snappy two stroke feel. It’s a great engine and super effective but just not as much fun to ride imo. I wouldn’t say the 300 has snap. It has torque and traction. The ktm 250 and 200 and the jap 250’s all have more snap or what I call snap than the 300. The 300 is probably the next bike I buy even after all that. I’m currently riding a ktm 350xcf and I really like it but often ride stuff that I’m sure the 300 would be a lot better.

180ls1

WKR
I found the 300 boring also. It’s smooth, no hit, and doesn’t have the typical quick revving snappy two stroke feel. It’s a great engine and super effective but just not as much fun to ride imo. I wouldn’t say the 300 has snap. It has torque and traction. The ktm 250 and 200 and the jap 250’s all have more snap or what I call snap than the 300. The 300 is probably the next bike I buy even after all that. I’m currently riding a ktm 350xcf and I really like it but often ride stuff that I’m sure the 300 would be a lot better.
Yup. I raced a bunch of the 250’s and they are just as fast at the 300 when wide open and in the power band. That said under the curve, it’s a whole different story. Way less shifting and work with the bigger bike.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
The new tbi 300s are definitely way more advanced in the linear power and snap. I see the argument with the older ones being boring. It all depends on what you are looking for.

3Esski

Lil-Rokslider
I had a CR 500 that I put a weighted flywheel and a few other simple mods that made it a great trail bike that still had the 500 powerband and all the fun that entailed. Lots of options out there for two strokes to be more trail friendly but you do miss putting a paddle tire on and heading to the dunes.

Bluefish

WKR
Ive owned the 300 and the 380. The 380 was my favorite, that low end grunt was nice. However, no fuel injection. FI is worth the $$$.

I would also highly recommend a Rekluse clutch, game changer.
Lowering the gear ratio with a front sprocket is also money well spent.
I disagree on the efi. On a 4-st a game changer. 2-st I would rather have a carb. Simple, light, easier maintenance. Only reason for efi is to deal with emissions.

380 was an awesome bike.

ODB

WKR
Older KDX 200s were awesome. My first bike was a 93 KDX Jeff Fredette special. As a matter of fact Jeff modified the forks for me. That was a fun, tractable bike. Didn’t go anywhere fast, but went anywhere. Raced Hare Scrambles with it even. Fun fun.

180ls1

WKR
I disagree on the efi. On a 4-st a game changer. 2-st I would rather have a carb. Simple, light, easier maintenance. Only reason for efi is to deal with emissions.

380 was an awesome bike.

I wouldn't say only reason. The density altitude variations where you ride is important. In the fall I could be in the dunes 0ft, 50* high humidity or elk camp at 9500ft, 75* and low humidity. Not having to re-jet is a big plus.

Bluefish

WKR
I wouldn't say only reason. The density altitude variations where you ride is important. In the fall I could be in the dunes 0ft, 50* high humidity or elk camp at 9500ft, 75* and low humidity. Not having to re-jet is a big plus.
I do rejet as I run in Colorado 9k-11+, Moab at 4K, and the Midwest that’s 1k. I have a chart and change needles, mains, and pilots as needed. Still prefer the carb on a 2-st. Not having to deal with a fuel pump, injectors, fuel filters is worth it to me. Soon I expect all efi bikes will be locked down and changing fuel curves will be no more. Already a problem on some of the exc’s. Have to buy a new ecu to get the bike to run right.

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I'm rapidly approaching 70 and have a yamaha WR450F. It's heavy for the tighter single track/technical stuff. But it has done the job in many differing terrains, sand, slick rock, woods, etc.
The 250 might be better/easier

The only reason 4 strokes are on MX tracks is because of AMA rules. They are not better.

The newer 2 strokes are pretty incredible and much lighter but be aware older KTM's have
reliability issues.

Used bike prices are dropping . My son picked up an older Husky PE (?) 250. Great for tight stuff

You might keep your eyes open for something like that. Or an older 250 4 stroke that will run
forever with virtually zero maintenance.

Two friends have the X-trainer; makes a guy look like a pro. But I doubt any used one
would be in the price range.

Wrench

WKR
I 100% agree. My dad rode a ktm 200 for years and it was an awesome bike. The 200 is underrated.
I had a 200exc and it was a blast. It was everything you need and nothing you don't.

I miss that bike.....125 chassis with endless torque and revved forever.

Beta X trainer is a great bike. I have two older riding pals with them.
I am still liking my XCW 300.

TRS XTrack 300 has me intrigued. It’s is 160lbs, electric start, and seat pops off to have legit observed Trials bike. It would be a great mountain and trail bike as long as you packed extra fuel.