2 on/2 off work schedule

Fire_9

WKR
Anyone here work a 2 weeks on/2 weeks off or 3/3 schedule? I have always thought about working the north slope in AK but have never pulled the trigger on it. I have a 6 year old boy which is the biggest hang up for me now but I'm curious to hear from anyone that does it with a family. Is it worth is to have the big blocks of time off? Thanks!

Ikmclean

Lil-Rokslider
I worked a rotating schedule for about a decade, 3 years was on the slope. This was before my wife and I had kids and I couldn't imagine doing it now with young kids at home.

That being said if you are already in the industry a 2x2 could be better than a 60hr+ unpredictable schedule, it's hard being gone but you can be completely there when you are home.

schmalzy

WKR
Anyone here work a 2 weeks on/2 weeks off or 3/3 schedule? I have always thought about working the north slope in AK but have never pulled the trigger on it. I have a 6 year old boy which is the biggest hang up for me now but I'm curious to hear from anyone that does it with a family. Is it worth is to have the big blocks of time off? Thanks!

Did it for a few years before kids while wife was in grad school. Loved it.

I’d be cautious doing it with small kids, but wouldn’t abandon the idea either. I think the best factor is your relationship with wife and her personality/temperament. I have plenty of friends that worked this schedule for decades and have great family life. Just takes BOTH of you to do it. Plenty of examples of dudes coming home from a 2 week hitch to empty house and empty bank account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TaperPin

WKR
Dad worked on the n slope. It worked great until he found a girlfriend. Big surprise, the girl friend didn’t last as long as the divorce did.

As many will attest to, one week away is much more doable than two weeks.

It depends on the people involved - I’ve known spouses of both genders that would do well being away half the year, and almost as many that you get that gut feel they wouldn’t.

Catchfish

WKR
Currently work a week and week schedule but I’m still home everyday.

I grew up with a dad who worked week and week and it was good for breaks at time, but it was a bummer he couldn’t be there to coach all the time or make those commitment’s. He also worked a 2x2 when I was younger and I can tell you I thought it was to long.
I would not be able to do the 2x2 for my kids.

akn300wsm

FNG
I did 2 on/off after I finished college while my wife was still in school, I can’t imagine doing it now with kids.

OP
F

Fire_9

WKR
Thank you for the replies. Having a kid at home is definitely the biggest hang up. The idea would be to pull him out of school so it would be all family time on the weeks off but not matter what the setup was, the time away would be tough. I have a pretty decent gig now, decent pay for the area and 4/10's, but the job itself doesn't take much brain power and it's been wearing on me.

Catchfish

WKR
Thank you for the replies. Having a kid at home is definitely the biggest hang up. The idea would be to pull him out of school so it would be all family time on the weeks off but not matter what the setup was, the time away would be tough. I have a pretty decent gig now, decent pay for the area and 4/10's, but the job itself doesn't take much brain power and it's been wearing on me.
Not sure how old your kid is, but pulling them out of school sounds like it would work but my kids have other activities that don’t work like that. softball, baseball, gymnastics, xc skiing etc. To keep the kid open means removing them from opportunities for other activities which I don’t think is fair but to each their own.

OP
F

Fire_9

WKR
Not sure how old your kid is, but pulling them out of school sounds like it would work but my kids have other activities that don’t work like that. softball, baseball, gymnastics, xc skiing etc. To keep the kid open means removing them from opportunities for other activities which I don’t think is fair but to each their own.

He's 6 so not real entrenched in any activities but you I definitely see where you're coming from. I have talked myself into and out of this stuff so many times. Pros and cons to every setup...

mcr-85

WKR
I worked on drilling rigs up until 2 weeks after I got married. There is no way I'd leave my family for 6 months of the year. They grow up too fast as it is.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk