2 elk in one season

WCB

WKR
for a solo guy I wouldn't recommend killing to elk in one sitting. But I also couldn't see going to field with just a cow tag if bull tags are easily available. You are already going to be there. Just because you buy the tag doesn't mean you have to fill it. If a cow walks out and your happy with killing it do it. Get her taken care of then decide if you want to try and fill the extra tag in your pocket.

I can tell you I have NEVER regretted buying a extra tag. I have regretted not buying an extra or tag say for another hunt when all my tags are full and there is still season left to hunt.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had 3 elk tags every year for 20 yrs and many years shot 3 bulls. We had a big family and few would turn down free elk meat. If my body was still up for packing out multiple bulls a season I would still do it. If you have the opp and want more time afield why not. You only get so many elk seasons 👍

roymunson

WKR
my family killed 7 whitetails and a bull moose last year. I plan on an elk and at least as many deer this year as well. But we have a population issue and I have friends who don't hunt who eat the meat.

Go do it, if you don't need the meat, bless someone else with it.

Maverick1

WKR
Has anyone ever gotten two tags and filled them in a season? I pulled a cow tag but the unit and season I pulled it for has otc bull tags only. I’m contemplating getting a bull tag otc in case I get lucky on my first ever outing. Should I apply for a bull tag at the same time as my cow tag or the season after in case I’m unlucky?
I have done this a number of times with the bow in the same season. And would happily do so again in the future. (Have gotten elk, elk, bear, and moose combinations of tags filled all within the same week before, too).

One thing to consider is the logistics of storing the meat, hide, and perhaps antlers from the first animal while you kill and pack out the second animal. I’d suggest having that figured out - or at least a plan - ahead of time.

farmermail

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone ever gotten two tags and filled them in a season? I pulled a cow tag but the unit and season I pulled it for has otc bull tags only. I’m contemplating getting a bull tag otc in case I get lucky on my first ever outing. Should I apply for a bull tag at the same time as my cow tag or the season after in case I’m unlucky?
You might want to think about this differently. Instead of "should I take two elk in a year?", think "Do I want the ability to shoot either a cow or a bull while hunting?". I am pretty darn sure even the diverse Rokslide folks would agree that more options will treat you better. Don't assume a cow hunt is easy. Can't tell you how many stinking times I have had a cow tag, and all I run into are bulls. Or, vice versa. Got a bull tag, and there is a group of cows 300 yards from the truck, and 50 yards from me. Buy the tag, go hunt. Get one on the ground, go from there. If the tag is $50, well, kind of like insurance for your car. There if you need it.

Jn78

WKR
Unless you have a specific goal about the class of animal you shoot, my advice is buy both tags - hell, buy a bear tag too. Shoot the first thing you are happy with. Assuming you have a place for the meat, decide on the second tag after you have packed out the first. But if you haven’t cut up an and packed an elk solo, don’t shoot two at the same time.

I have had two elk on the ground, by myself twice. It is hard.

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
Echoing a lot of what's been said. If you're planning on shooting both, have a plan. A real plan. Couple years ago I killed a bull and my buddy killed a cow within minutes of each other further from the truck than a person with good sense should be for that kind of thing. It was awesome but the cool factor wears off VERY quickly and the suck factor cranks way up.

TaperPin

WKR
I don’t understand - you have an opportunity to kill the biggest bull of your life and your not sure if you want to? Please call an ambulance - there’s something wrong.

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
My kids and I have harvested 2-3 elk many years, only twice killed two bulls at the same time. One elk is a lot of work, 2 elk is a more than twice as hard due to being very tired before the packing meat even starts. Two elk in one week should be fine if you have 2-3 people to help pack it out, lots of cooler space, and a plan for processing and storing the meat, before you shoot. I would buy the second tag and then decide after you have the first elk in a cool place near your truck.

Sadler

WKR
See if there’s a packer in the area that’ll help you out. If so, do it. I’d still do it if there wasn’t but that’ll make things easier.

You got the important part out of the way, you're a resident so tags are "cheap", you're new at it too. Odds over everything else in my opinion. Get the reps in by increasing your opportunity. When I was learning Western hunting and didn't have a mentor I got every tag I could for the season I hunted to increase odds. My family life doesn't allow me to take more time, so more opportunity is where I choose to invest.

If you focus on getting your first, and not getting in over your head harvesting two of you can't handle it, $100 for an elk is still a killer deal.

Jaquomo

WKR
Five times for me with archery. No longer need to, now that my "new" wife is also a killer. :)

If you can get a second cow tag, shoot a cow and focus on hunting a bull. Takes a lot of pressure off for the rest of the hunt, along with a freezer full of meat.

grfox92

WKR
I have 3 elk tags this year. Archery Bull and two late season cow tags. I fully intend on filling all 3 of them.

I also have a mule deer tag, a buck antelope tag and a doe antelope tag. I plan on filling all of those too.

I'm going to need a bigger freezer....

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have killed 2 bulls in one season multiple times. We eat alot of elk. On the second bull i usually keep the backstraps and give the rest to my employees. win win. Right now i am down to 6 packages of elk steak and i killed 2 last year. I like elk meat, alot.

I get a bull and cow tag every year with the mindset “If it’s brown, knock it down!” Of course know your target and know what is legal. That being said I have had two opportunities to shoot multiple elk in a single herd and passed both times because I was solo - despite one pass on a really nice bull I initially did not see. One elk is plenty of meat for me and my family, and I would love for there to be plenty of elk left for my kids one day.

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all for the replies. I definitely don’t see myself taking two elk. I think my question was more of a “do you value buying an extra tag just in case” kind of question. Once again everyone’s replies have been great insights!

Speck1

Lil-Rokslider
I had two bull tags last year for the first time. I faced the same problem. My family can only eat one bull a year. Killed in NM and still went to CO to hunt that tag. Had already made the decision it would have to be a stud in CO for me to loose an arrow. Saw lots of elk but they were all my usual 240” CO bulls😁

AnthonyC

FNG
Looks like you’ve already got a lot of good advice here. Having a bull and cow tag in your pocket will definitely increase your chances for success. Do not underestimate the amount of time and labor required to field dress, pack out and process 2 elk though. Depending on weather, terrain and distance from the road/camp, it might not even be possible without losing meat. If you’re paying resident prices, I would get the 2nd tag to better your odds & options and/or extend your season. I would avoid shooting the 2nd elk until you had the 1st one packed out, unless you are really close to the road/camp, or have a couple buddies ready to help pack it out. Just my opinion.