2 bows

So I’m In a bit of a dilemma and can’t make my mind up. I’ve got a bowtech realm and a realm sr6. I shot them both through the chrono with a 400 grain arrow and got 278 out of the realm and 292 from the sr6. So my dilemma is I’ve got two different arrow builds, the 400 grain set up and then a closer to 500 grain. If you were in my situation would you use the lighter arrow with the faster sr6 and single pin or the heavier arrow and use the light set up for the realm with a 3 pin. Probably not that big of a deal but I’m curious, thanks!

Ho5tile1

WKR
I have a realm and killed a buck with a 650 grain arrow at 60 yards with a 3 pin slider the bow was 72 pounds at 29 inches in comfort. I like 550 grains now works very well. I let my buddy use it now to hunt with cause his hoyt don’t go out to 31 inches. He has tried his best to buy it from me but I won’t sale it plus he uses it for free. He has been my best friend for 40 years. Imo the heavier arrow is the way to go and you can shoot them at the longer shots as well. But like above shoot what works the best for you. The realm is a great bow smoothest drawing bow ive ever owned. I now hunt with Mathews bows..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B
I have a realm and killed a buck with a 650 grain arrow at 60 yards with a 3 pin slider the bow was 72 pounds at 29 inches in comfort. I like 550 grains now works very well. I let my buddy use it now to hunt with cause his hoyt don’t go out to 31 inches. He has tried his best to buy it from me but I won’t sale it plus he uses it for free. He has been my best friend for 40 years. Imo the heavier arrow is the way to go and you can shoot them at the longer shots as well. But like above shoot what works the best for you. The realm is a great bow smoothest drawing bow ive ever owned. I now hunt with Mathews bows..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I whole heartedly agree, I don’t see much about the realm but I can’t find a bow I like better!! I’ve shot all the new stuff just to see and i haven’t came across anything id trade my realm for. Especially not for the money they’re asking

Beendare

WKR
I have a RealmX, great bow…quieter than my Levitate but not quite as fast.

I look at the whole setup as a system. IF you are shooting a very efficient Broadhead like a two blade or three blade cut on contact then you can use just about any arrow and still get pass throughs.

If You are using a very inefficient large mechanical head then I would err on the side of using a heavier arrow as it will enhance the effectiveness of those broadheads.

Overall, I think an arrow in the 430 to 480 grain range gives you the best sweet spot for all around Performance.

OP
B
I have a RealmX, great bow…quieter than my Levitate but not quite as fast.

I look at the whole setup as a system. IF you are shooting a very efficient Broadhead like a two blade or three blade cut on contact then you can use just about any arrow and still get pass throughs.

If You are using a very inefficient large mechanical head then I would err on the side of using a heavier arrow as it will enhance the effectiveness of those broadheads.

Overall, I think an arrow in the 430 to 480 grain range gives you the best sweet spot for all around Performance.
That levitate has some good looking specs! I was shooting 440 grains last year and it worked well for me but the guy who made my arrows this year forgot to add in the weighted insert, I reckon I’m gonna use a 150 grain broadhead

I gravitate towards a faster setup. I'm comfortable with a 290-300 fps setup, when I get slower, I tend to not notice stuff that might be in the way. I shoot that speed a lot, when I have used hunting setups down into the 260's I have had instances of ignoring things in the flight path.

I'd shoot whichever setup I shoot best tho, regardless of speed. Using a 3 pin I usually still shoot it as a single, just with high/low holds so sight is kinda irrelevant for me personally. Except maybe I'd notice my top pin is in a branch with 3 pins, but I doubt it. Once I get to full draw, focus on target.

OP
B
I gravitate towards a faster setup. I'm comfortable with a 290-300 fps setup, when I get slower, I tend to not notice stuff that might be in the way. I shoot that speed a lot, when I have used hunting setups down into the 260's I have had instances of ignoring things in the flight path.

I'd shoot whichever setup I shoot best tho, regardless of speed. Using a 3 pin I usually still shoot it as a single, just with high/low holds so sight is kinda irrelevant for me personally. Except maybe I'd notice my top pin is in a branch with 3 pins, but I doubt it. Once I get to full draw, focus on target.
Thanks! Do you get plenty of penetration with a lighter arrow? Based on the calculations I’m looking at around 74 ft lbs of ke and .5 slugs of momentum

wnelson14

WKR
I would make a 450 grain arrow and shoot it out of both. Main bow and back up bow.

Thanks! Do you get plenty of penetration with a lighter arrow? Based on the calculations I’m looking at around 74 ft lbs of ke and .5 slugs of momentum

Yes, I haven't had penetration issues.

I think most penetration issues come from poor tuning, get straight arrow flight with a reasonable broadhead for penetration, and you won't have issues.

I haven't put numbers on my setups in years, however personally I haven't had issues shooting elk at sub 400 gr, I'm not going to recommend it, but I have sent arrows long ways through elk with big mechanical heads. And my specs fall in what I'd consider average.

292 w/400 gr is better than several setups I have used, and way better than a lot of what I have seen used. Good arrow flight, hitting behind your pin is the best recipe. I have seen the heavy setups stopped by the shoulder joint, mostly because the animal was also reacting to the shot, but I personally don't believe you can make an arrow that is 100% reliable for an animal that is recoiling away from the arrow anyways.

Best solution, shoot what you can put behind the pin, and be at a point that you can hit behind your pin when you shoot. There's no magic fix one way or another.

OP
B
Yes, I haven't had penetration issues.

I think most penetration issues come from poor tuning, get straight arrow flight with a reasonable broadhead for penetration, and you won't have issues.

I haven't put numbers on my setups in years, however personally I haven't had issues shooting elk at sub 400 gr, I'm not going to recommend it, but I have sent arrows long ways through elk with big mechanical heads. And my specs fall in what I'd consider average.

292 w/400 gr is better than several setups I have used, and way better than a lot of what I have seen used. Good arrow flight, hitting behind your pin is the best recipe. I have seen the heavy setups stopped by the shoulder joint, mostly because the animal was also reacting to the shot, but I personally don't believe you can make an arrow that is 100% reliable for an animal that is recoiling away from the arrow anyways.

Best solution, shoot what you can put behind the pin, and be at a point that you can hit behind your pin when you shoot. There's no magic fix one way or another.
Yes I agree for sure, I guess I’m just a bit of a overthinker when it comes to this stuff. I’ve blew through plenty of deer with the 440 grain set up and just wasn’t sure what difference that 50 grains would make