2" barrel velocity loss in 6.5 prc and 7 prc

What niche would a 25 prc fill? 130gr bullets at 3k? Sounds like a 6.5 prc to me.

Factory 25 cal with >50 grains capacity, high quality brass, and a non- belted, non-rebated case. A .6+ bc bullet at ~2900 fps from a 16" barrel with very manageable recoil and great case life.

B23

WKR
I have a 22" 6.5 PRC and have never wished it was longer.
I have them with considerably longer barrels and some with considerably shorter but IMO a 22in tube is a good compromise. A 22 with a brake or suppressor still isn't so crazy long that it makes you hate using it but shorter, even with a suppressor, definitely makes them noticeably louder. Also, the more overbore something is the more you'll notice it getting louder the shorter you go with the barrel and if you're using or wanting to get a suppressor make sure to check the specs on what cartridge and how short of a barrel the suppressor is rated for but with any decent 30 cal suppressor you should be good to go with nearly any length 6.5 or 7 PRC.

Benjblt

WKR
My question is if you are at 20 - 21" in barrel length how much are you really gaining in fps going from a 6.5 creedmoor to a 6.5 PRC. It only appears to be just over 100 fps which can be the difference in the variety of powders available for a given bullet and cartridge sometimes. . Thoughts? Especially in a light rifle, the added recoil is more significant then the increased fps when we're talking about a lightweight (6lbs ish) 20 inch barreled rifle.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
My question is if you are at 20 - 21" in barrel length how much are you really gaining in fps going from a 6.5 creedmoor to a 6.5 PRC. It only appears to be just over 100 fps which can be the difference in the variety of powders available for a given bullet and cartridge sometimes. . Thoughts? Especially in a light rifle, the added recoil is more significant then the increased fps when we're talking about a lightweight (6lbs ish) 20 inch barreled rifle.

You are gaining the same FPS disparity regardless of barrel length- about 200fps at like pressures. It is a myth that certain rounds are more “efficient” in shorter barrels- they all lose 20-30fps per inch on average.

Make sure you have sufficient impact velocity for your specific bullet at the farthest distance you will legitimately shoot animals, that’s it. If your chosen bullet from your cartridge won’t make it to your range, then you change bullets to one that gives you longer range, add barrel length, or go with a larger cartridge. Very few hunters need a 6.5PRC over the 6cm. We kill elk and deer without issue with 18-20” 6.5 CM’s, and lots of them well past 600 yards.

Benjblt

WKR
Very few hunters need a 6.5PRC over the 6cm. We kill elk and deer without issue with 18-20” 6.5 CM’s, and lots of them well past 600 yards.
This is where I'm leaning. I like the idea of the PRC but want a lightweight rifle that I can still shoot well. I'm not a recoil weenie but I still don't love it.

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
You are gaining the same FPS disparity regardless of barrel length- about 200fps at like pressures. It is a myth that certain rounds are more “efficient” in shorter barrels- they all lose 20-30fps per inch on average.

Make sure you have sufficient impact velocity for your specific bullet at the farthest distance you will legitimately shoot animals, that’s it. If your chosen bullet from your cartridge won’t make it to your range, then you change bullets to one that gives you longer range, add barrel length, or go with a larger cartridge. Very few hunters need a 6.5PRC over the 6cm. We kill elk and deer without issue with 18-20” 6.5 CM’s, and lots of them well past 600 yards.
What bullet are you using/recommend for elk with a 6.5 cm?