2 bags, how cumbersome?

180ls1

WKR
Looking at a 3rd season Co hunt this year with my dad where he needs more insulation. We are not huge backcountry guys so we can deal with some weight and inconvenience.

His current pad and bag (good to 35*) will need to add a foam pad under it and use one of my sleeping bags which is conveniently a little larger than his. Has anyone done similar?

I am also considering selling it all and just getting a better pad (XTherm) and 1 warmer bag/quilt.

Fetty Wapiti

Lil-Rokslider
I believe a well insulated pad is more important than a bag for keeping you warm. Why not get a better pad with a high R value and wear puffy pants and a jacket while you sleep if needed for extra warmth. I have been comfortable in near 0 degree temps with an xtherm and a 28 degree quilt

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
I believe a well insulated pad is more important than a bag for keeping you warm. Why not get a better pad with a high R value and wear puffy pants and a jacket while you sleep if needed for extra warmth. I have been comfortable in near 0 degree temps with an xtherm and a 28 degree quilt

Yeah, that's not a bad idea. Is that 28 the comfort or limit?

Dennis

WKR
Not quite sure of temp rating of a 35 degree bag inside another, but 3rd season in Colorado can be cold and snowy. Not saying that won’t work, but dad needs to be warm. Add a foam pad or two and he should be good especially if you have a wood stove and or heater if needed.

Are you sleeping on the ground or cots, stove in the tent?

You said he has a 35 deg and will be using one of your bags as well, so he will be double bagging it. Without knowing the limit of your bag, combining two 35 deg bags should do what you need as the post above said.

Honestly, I would go with one pad with an R rating appropriate for winter camping (X-Therm fills the bill) and a 0* or lower rated bag. Good for cots or ground, always can open the zipper or vents to control warmth, but can't add heat if the bag isn't warm enough.

Using clothes for the warmth is last-ditch for me. Make the bag and pad the main things. I strip down to thermal underwear, beanie cap, warm socks with a warm water bottle (heat water on the fire) in the foot of the bag. Then you start the next day with water, not ice in the bottles.

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
Are you sleeping on the ground or cots, stove in the tent?

You said he has a 35 deg and will be using one of your bags as well, so he will be double bagging it. Without knowing the limit of your bag, combining two 35 deg bags should do what you need as the post above said.

Honestly, I would go with one pad with an R rating appropriate for winter camping (X-Therm fills the bill) and a 0* or lower rated bag. Good for cots or ground, always can open the zipper or vents to control warmth, but can't add heat if the bag isn't warm enough.

Using clothes for the warmth is last-ditch for me. Make the bag and pad the main things. I strip down to thermal underwear, beanie cap, warm socks with a warm water bottle (heat water on the fire) in the foot of the bag. Then you start the next day with water, not ice in the bottles.

On the ground. Possibly cowboy camp if weather allows. We have a truck/cabin to fall back on.

I was just pad shopping he can move from his Ether Light XT r3.2 to a Nemo Tensor Extreme r8.5 and it will weigh the exact same. Or move to the Tensor All Season r5.4 and save 3oz.

mt100gr.

WKR
I used to double up an Army surplus lightweight bag over a 20degree northface bag on nothing more than a thermarest foam pad. It worked pretty well. I did some trimming on the surplus bag and used it as a quilt over the mummy bag. I can probably get some more specific info if you're interested.

I've also had very comfortable sleep wearing puffy gear inside my 20degree quilt down to 0degrees. If hunting conditions are going to be cold, consider adding the puffy pants and jacket that can be used during the days, too.

On the ground. Possibly cowboy camp if weather allows. We have a truck/cabin to fall back on.

I was just pad shopping he can move from his Ether Light XT r3.2 to a Nemo Tensor Extreme r8.5 and it will weigh the exact same. Or move to the Tensor All Season r5.4 and save 3oz.
👍
You mentioned you weren't concerned about a bit of weight, if this is a dedicated pad for winter use, go with the r8.5 pad. However, you mention the weight difference when comparing the r5.4 pad. Keep us posted what you decide.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
Agree that the pad is key part of the system---if weight isn't an issue look for a big warm pad. Sleep is important. Double bag can work great if the outer bag doesn't compress the inner one too much.

I have a couple of the "patrol bags " from the MSS sleep system that are great overbags for my down mummy bags. They are big enough not to compress loft . Another option is a sleeping bag liner ,Sea to summit make a bunch of different ones. Like everyone is saying a warm pad is a big part of the system. For me the best change I made in pads was to go to a wide one, my arms used to always end up on the ground off the pad on standard width pads.

I took my 15*F KUIU Superdown bag (very snug dimensions) along with my 15*F Mt Hardware synthetic bag (slightly larger dimensions than the KUIU) up polar bear hunting in the Arctic in February. Total weight was about 5#s and they were more than adequate in a tent. I never totally zipped the top bag up around my face.

But for normal use in October in BC I take the 15* KUIU mummy bag and wear my Superdown pants and jacket in the bag on cold nights with any extra clothes around my feet with at least a couple pair of wool hiking socks on. And also a warm hat.

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
I had my 15 bag in my old 0 bag this year in single digit weather and I was nearly sweating it was so warm, but in a good way. Easy to just unzip your bag when you get too hot.

I generally prefer to be very warm while camping and this worked great for me. The first night I was freezing in my 0 bag. I’ll definitely be bringing both again for this years hunts