1st tag: MT General Elk - Solo too risky?

Selway

FNG
This map is pretty accurate
20210111_MayBePresent_GB%20map_website.jpg

I'd have serious reservations about that map's accuracy.

hobbes

WKR
There is potential to run across one anywhere here. However, stay out of the core areas and your chance of seeing one is slim. I've been here since 2011 and have yet to see one. I had something come upon my tent two years ago mid day while I was half asleep during some rain that I'm pretty sure was a bear, but I've no idea what kind because it ran like crazy when I jumped up startled in my tent.

I'm sure I'll eventually run across one because I know they are expanding into where I hunt and have occasionally been spotted. It'll probably be soon since I've said that. I try to keep a clean camp and carry bear spray. I bought a 10mm last year and never carried it. :).

I watched a brown phase black bear two weeks ago that I'm sure someone would have called a grizz because there are bear signs not too far away. I gave up on arguing with a NR in Colorado that he had seen a brown phase and not a grizz back in about 2010.

Selway

FNG
In what way?
The "may be present" layer has a lot of red flags. I don't know of any verified sightings in Mineral County (which is blue), but unit 300 has had quite a few verified sightings and isn't. Sapphire mountains have had a few sightings, not filled in, but Clark canyon reservoir area is?

Just seeing a lot of things that don't pass the smell test.

The "may be present" layer has a lot of red flags. I don't know of any verified sightings in Mineral County (which is blue), but unit 300 has had quite a few verified sightings and isn't. Sapphire mountains have had a few sightings, not filled in, but Clark canyon reservoir area is?

Just seeing a lot of things that don't pass the smell test.
Gotcha, Yeah I don't know what all they put into the "maybe" but I'm sure some of them are a stretch. I think they had a collared bear pass through Mineral Co. a few years back if I remember right.

That's funny about Clark Canyon, must be some bears doing laps in there.

hobbes

WKR
I've no idea about the map but would expect they'd use some sort of smell test on the reported sightings also. I've had a life long MT resident show me a trail camera photo of a "grizzly" near his cabin that was clearly a brown phased black bear. I didn't argue because he is in grizzly country, the photo just wasn't a grizzly.

Tallfeller454

Lil-Rokslider
Just do some research and find some non griz country. I have hunted four years in Montana in non griz country and been in elk the majority of my hunts. Dont dive into griz country solo for no reason.

Selway

FNG
Gotcha, Yeah I don't know what all they put into the "maybe" but I'm sure some of them are a stretch. I think they had a collared bear pass through Mineral Co. a few years back if I remember right.

That's funny about Clark Canyon, must be some bears doing laps in there.

Yes, you are right. The same sow that crossed 93 right through Lolo did cut across 90 in Mineral County. My apologies. That also made me look closer at the Great Burn. You can see that they have the path from the boar last year that ended up in Big Creek. He skirted Mineral County and the Great Burn to the West.

I've no idea about the map but would expect they'd use some sort of smell test on the reported sightings also. I've had a life long MT resident show me a trail camera photo of a "grizzly" near his cabin that was clearly a brown phased black bear. I didn't argue because he is in grizzly country, the photo just wasn't a grizzly.

That's not at all what I'm talking about. Why would Welcome Creek be shown as a maybe, but not the rest of the range? Did the bears get dropped off by helicopters? But watch out if you're in the Missoula Valley?

I think a lot of local bios would look at that layer and shake their heads. The source data would be interesting to look at.

jimmy33

WKR
I cant believe this is a real post in a hunting forum. Listen, whatever city you live in is way more dangerous than any trail in Western Montana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hobbes

WKR
Yes, you are right. The same sow that crossed 93 right through Lolo did cut across 90 in Mineral County. My apologies. That also made me look closer at the Great Burn. You can see that they have the path from the boar last year that ended up in Big Creek. He skirted Mineral County and the Great Burn to the West.

That's not at all what I'm talking about. Why would Welcome Creek be shown as a maybe, but not the rest of the range? Did the bears get dropped off by helicopters? But watch out if you're in the Missoula Valley?

I think a lot of local bios would look at that layer and shake their heads. The source data would be interesting to look at.
Never said it was what you were talking about just stating that I don't buy every story of a grizzly sighting. That was all that I was pointing out. Do you have a better map that you'd recommend?

OP
I
I cant believe this is a real post in a hunting forum. Listen, whatever city you live in is way more dangerous than any trail in Western Montana.

Hunter A has hunted in grizzly bear country. Hunter B has not. Hunter B desires to learn from hunter A. Hunter B posts on forum asking for advice from hunter A.

Can you believe it now?

jimmy33

WKR
Hunter A has hunted in grizzly bear country. Hunter B has not. Hunter B desires to learn from hunter A. Hunter B posts on forum asking for advice from hunter A.

Can you believe it now?

Hunter A told Hunter B that its not as dangerous as the city he lives in so go do it (advice given)

Hunter A can believe Hunter B needs advice to hunt in grizzly country as far as gear and some safety advice, but Hunter A is surprised by how Hunter B presented the information. Hunter B made it sound like he had to have a last will and testament and was going off to war in order to hunt elk in Western Montana...just a little too much for me.

Based on your post, My other piece of advice would be to to go do things that are hard and dont be so afraid. You will be a more confident man as a result of testing yourself and being out if your comfort level. I want you to be successful but most importantly I want you to be confident. There is an overall lack of confidence in men in this country and it shows. This post just was indicative of that trend.

Advice given

Gerbdog

WKR
This threads all over the place and amusing, I've never hunted Grizzly country, to the OP.... if your not gonna enjoy your hunt because your worried Grizzlies are around, just dont go to that area. Hunting for most folks requires taking time off, traveling great distances, spending buckets of money and if the risk of grizzlies chewing on your femur would ruin your vacation? Just dont go. I wouldnt spend my vacation time on something i'm gonna be nervous about and not enjoy. Just my 2 cents.

Now mountain lions..... damn cats ;)

OP
I
Hunter A told Hunter B that its not as dangerous as the city he lives in so go do it (advice given)

Hunter A can believe Hunter B needs advice to hunt in grizzly country as far as gear and some safety advice, but Hunter A is surprised by how Hunter B presented the information. Hunter B made it sound like he had to have a last will and testament and was going off to war in order to hunt elk in Western Montana...just a little too much for me.

Based on your post, My other piece of advice would be to to go do things that are hard and dont be so afraid. You will be a more confident man as a result of testing yourself and being out if your comfort level. I want you to be successful but most importantly I want you to be confident. There is an overall lack of confidence in men in this country and it shows. This post just was indicative of that trend.

Advice given

Telling someone that the city they live in is more dangerous than MT isn't advice, it's just bravado. This was just a question about whether it's a good idea or not to hunt solo in grizzly country for a first elk hunt. There's a difference between confidence and foolhardiness. There's a difference between caution and fear.

Advice disregarded.

jimmy33

WKR
Telling someone that the city they live in is more dangerous than MT isn't advice, it's just bravado. This was just a question about whether it's a good idea or not to hunt solo in grizzly country for a first elk hunt. There's a difference between confidence and foolhardiness. There's a difference between caution and fear.

Advice disregarded.

No bravado here...just truth. You wouldn’t think twice about driving around your city but you are thinking twice about hunting in grizzly bear country. Your trepidation comes from a lack of knowledge and understanding. It is in fact safer than where you are from and the only way you will get over the lack of knowledge and trepidation is to go do it. Then, you will have the experience necessary to hunt in grizzly country and be comfortable. I truly hope you enjoy yourself and test yourself on your first western hunt.

Go do something difficult

fatlander

WKR
Grizzlies give you the pucker factor that you don’t have where they aren’t. Honestly, I think it keeps you sharper during your hunt. I’ve hunted solo in grizzly country and it’s not nearly as enjoyable as hunting with a partner. The first trip is a big enough smack in the teeth without backpacking into grizzly country solo, no reason to make a monumental task even harder.

OP
I
No bravado here...just truth. You wouldn’t think twice about driving around your city but you are thinking twice about hunting in grizzly bear country. Your trepidation comes from a lack of knowledge and understanding. It is in fact safer than where you are from and the only way you will get over the lack of knowledge and trepidation is to go do it. Then, you will have the experience necessary to hunt in grizzly country and be comfortable. I truly hope you enjoy yourself and test yourself on your first western hunt.

Go do something difficult

I appreciate the "just go do it" mentality, but if I had hunted in grizzly country I don't think I would tell someone that, unless it was qualified with something like, "but also bring a sidearm, keep a clean camp, and know how to use your bear spray." The whole "just man up and go do it" I just don't think is particularly good advice, because it's incomplete. Driving around the city is dangerous, but we also wear seatbelts and have traffic lights to mitigate risk. Same applies with bears. I think there's probably a good reason why MT FWP has a "Bear Aware" and not a "Sack Up and Do It!" campaign. Plenty of folks mauled and killed by grizzlies each year. Pretty sure that's not because they forgot to man up.

Thanks for the advice and no hard feelings.

creekchub

FNG
This is a helpful thread - I do not have any experience in Montana and in a lot of ways I am in the same boat - but from what I have gathered any area that may be "grizzly free" or very low density is going to be hunted way harder than the areas with bears. To me I think being careful and smart is the best option if it means not bumping into a team of bow hunters around every corner

Young Blood

Lil-Rokslider
I have lived in Montana my entire life and have been in Kalispell (heart of griz country) for most of it. I know all of the precautions, take them, and I still have a bit of a "pucker" factor when I'm hiking in two hours in the dark to get to my spot every time my headlamp casts a shadow on the trail in front of me. I had my 5 year old son with me this past year and we cut a fresh griz track in the snow from that night heading the same direction we were going (again hiking in pre-dawn) so we turned back and went about a mile up the road. Three years ago I quartered a 5 point bull by myself that I shot right at dark about 8 miles (as the crow flies) from where a guy was mauled by a griz about a month earlier. I was looking over my shoulder with my headlamp, on high alert, and anxious the entire time... but it was worth it to experience taking that elk by myself.

All this to say, you can take precautions and be aware but you may never fully get comfortable with them around. This is where the man-up advice from above comes in. I would love to hunt non-griz country but that would completely eliminate my ability to day hunt from home. I guess the moral of my post is that you can go out, be smart, and know that the odds of encountering a bear in a negative way are very low especially if you are paying attention. I will say having a partner hiking up the trail with me in the dark takes away all fear.... know that is not logical... the risk is the same but there is just something comforting about knowing you have company.

If you do decide to go solo in griz country, I would suggest truck camping and doing day hunts to at least eliminate one element of worry (you can keep your food in the truck and drastically reduce odors). Actually, upon further thought, I would suggest truck camping for your first trip regardless as it will help you be more mobile to actually locate elk. If you backpack in you are committed to an area and it might be a dud. Most of all good luck and have fun! And tell the wife to calm down, you are more likely to get injured in a car accident on your drive there then to be injured by a bear hunting solo! haha actually don't tell her that... I've made that mistake and suddenly I'm dealing with a different kind of bear! Now that's sound advice!