1st Elk Hunt - Colorado

I've been itching to get out Elk hunting for years, primarily had an interest in going for archery, and I finally am going to make it happen next year with a friend and his dad. I've been doing all kinds of research throughout the past year using Outdoor Class, Go Hunt insider, Treeline Academy, etc., so I feel like I have a good idea on how to successfully plan a hunt. My definition of success will be to have multiple plans in place so we are left to make it up on the fly, and by no means does success mean tagging out. I think just being able to put eyes on some elk would be a win and would be something we'd all be happy about. We are planning to head out for 1st rifle season to hopefully cut down on the amount of pressure (emphasis on hopefully) while also still possibly catching some late rutting activity and decentish weather. We all have 1 point and are planning to apply to a unit (we have several in mind) where we have high draw odds. What I am wondering is if it makes sense for all 3 of us to actually apply for a tag. With it only being a 5 day season, and all 3 of us being new to elk hunting, is it a waste of money for me to also buy a tag? I would honestly be thrilled to go out with them and help both of them track down and tag a legal bull. However, my buddy thinks that is stupid and that I should put in with them as well. Thoughts?

Gerbdog

WKR
5 day rifle season looks like.

It's doable. Buy the tag. I know a group of 5 dudes who go first or 2nd rifle and all tag out in 5 days. 2 seasons in a row with the line up trophy photos to prove it.

If your successful you'll be 7/8th the way to deaths door though.... especially on your first elk hunt... cant wait to see the post photo of exhaustion haha

OP
T
5 day rifle season looks like.

It's doable. Buy the tag. I know a group of 5 dudes who go first or 2nd rifle and all tag out in 5 days. 2 seasons in a row with the line up trophy photos to prove it.

If your successful you'll be 7/8th the way to deaths door though.... especially on your first elk hunt... cant wait to see the post photo of exhaustion haha
I imagine it will look something like this...1702487466292.png

I've been itching to get out Elk hunting for years, primarily had an interest in going for archery, and I finally am going to make it happen next year with a friend and his dad. I've been doing all kinds of research throughout the past year using Outdoor Class, Go Hunt insider, Treeline Academy, etc., so I feel like I have a good idea on how to successfully plan a hunt. My definition of success will be to have multiple plans in place so we are left to make it up on the fly, and by no means does success mean tagging out. I think just being able to put eyes on some elk would be a win and would be something we'd all be happy about. We are planning to head out for 1st rifle season to hopefully cut down on the amount of pressure (emphasis on hopefully) while also still possibly catching some late rutting activity and decentish weather. We all have 1 point and are planning to apply to a unit (we have several in mind) where we have high draw odds. What I am wondering is if it makes sense for all 3 of us to actually apply for a tag. With it only being a 5 day season, and all 3 of us being new to elk hunting, is it a waste of money for me to also buy a tag? I would honestly be thrilled to go out with them and help both of them track down and tag a legal bull. However, my buddy thinks that is stupid and that I should put in with them as well. Thoughts?
Your friend is right. Buy the tag. Just tagging along as the 3rd wheel wo an elk tag lesens the experience. As a CO resident, I've had friends from back East come out (without an elk tag) and joined me during past archery and rifle hunts. In most cases, they've said they wish they had a tag in the their pocket. I also think that one works harder and is more motivated to succeed when one has "skin in the game". You'll regret it big time especially if the group gets on elk.

Either way, enjoy your trip out West, focus on learning the ways of wapiti, and keep expections in check.

Westensee

FNG
I think the question to ask is, would your buddy come along with you the following year even without a tag? If not, how does that shape your plan?

OP
T
Valid points. I forgot to mention that immediately after the hunt, I will be heading up to MT for a mule deer hunt. I know a buck tag isn't a guarantee in MT, but just was trying to keep costs in check as well. I'd prefer if I could follow up next year's elk hunt with future years of heading out for archery elk, but I'd have to first nail down someone who'd be willing to join me. So, would my buddy go the next year without a tag just to help me....probably not. Between the 2 of us, and pretty much anyone else I know, I am by far the most obsessed and into hunting (at least big game hunting).

I have just as much fun as a tag-less tag-along as I do with a weapon in my hand. If you can find a hunting partner with the same mindset, you could alternate applying for points vs. tags and get yourself in the elk woods more often than if you take a year(s) off to build points so you can both draw together. Multiple novices in new country in a short season filling multiple elk tags isn't impossible, but I wouldn't bet on it. Also consider that if you apply as a group, you draw as a group (either everyone gets a tag or no one gets a tag). If you're on the bubble points-wise, your odds of someone in the group getting a tag are better if you apply individually (but you could end up with some drawing and others not).

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
When someone has never got an elk before they really want one, and going without a tag is difficult. However, in my experience, the more adventures you go on and the more success you experience your attitude changes. Being willing to go without a tag isn't a big deal.

I think you all three put in. Even if only one person draws you all three go out to help. If all three draw great, but I would have realistic expectations, which you seem to have.

Here is one for you. One or two of you put in for the tag this year. Next year roate who puts in (now one person should have 2 points). Roate who gets the tags.

My hunting partner and I plan to rotate who puts in for a tag. Yes one of us will not have a tag. But the tag we draw should be pretty good (because we both are not burning our points every year). And realistically me and my partner killing an elk in a trip is very likely. Killing two has happened, but not very often. But I trust my hunting partner to go out and help me when he doesn't have a tag.

cnelk

WKR
Guessing your referring to Colorado and it’s 5 day 1st Rifle season.

You all can apply as a group. CPW only recognizes the lowest PP number of the group. So you either all draw or none draw.

Read the Stats and you’ll see what units you can draw.

Good luck.

My son and I did our first and only elk bowhunt so far in 2019.

We had some basic goals. First to hear an elk call, 2nd to have a elk respond to my calling either by coming in or calling back, 3rd was to see an elk, 4th a shot opportunity and finally the ultimate goal to shoot one.

Goal 1 was accomplished within 15 minutes of getting to our camp on the ridge across from where we had our number one spot. We actually had 3 bulls calling from the next ridge the Thursday evening before Saturday's opener. At dark I pulled out my bugle ad called to have 5 bulls call back! the three we heard originally and one farther up and one farther down the drainage.

The next morning we went to town and got our licenses then scouted the drainaige to figure out how to get to where we herd the eld the night before. On our way down I called and got a response from where the 3 were the night before. On the way down the drainage it was super thrick with ferns that were taller than me and hid many dead falls. I tripped over one and the only thing that kept me from falling over a 15 ft cliff was a trekking pole that promplty bent 90 degrees when I threw it to my side. This spoked me enough to decide we wouldn't make the 1/3 of a mile 1000ft vertical ridge to wait until the sun was tarting to come up. As we worked our way down the next morning we heard an elk bugling farther down the drainage so we went downstream instead of our originally planned upstream where we had heard the elk the previous 2 days. We got cliffed out and had to turn around and go back up. As we stopped to have something to eat we see a successful hunter coming from where we planned on going. When he see's us he says "Oh shit you're not my friends." I congratulated him on his elk. We started talking and I asked if he got it upstream where the next drainage came into this one and he said yes. He asked where else we had planned on hunting because they would be packing out today and ruin today but it would be likely better latter in the week. During the conversation he told me that he had never seen anyone hunt that drainage in teh 10 years he had hunted it because no one wanted tow ork that hard. Talking about the other spots he told me that if any out of towners deserved to get an elk it was us. He had killed elk in 4 of the 5 spots I had figured had the best odds for us. He gave me two easier ways of accessing two of the spots and wished us luck.

Day 2 didn't see or hear anything. Day 3 we were hunting over a water hole and had a cow come down to about 80 yards from us only to have the wind swirl and she ran back over the ridge where she came from. The next day we planned on trying where we met the other hunter but I couldn't wake up my son. I was so pissed I almost left him at camp. Fortuneatley I didn't because when he finally woke up at 8:30 his eyes were nearly swollen shut, he said his whole body hurt and he was nauseous. He had altitude sickness. I took him over 2000 feet lower into town and 4 hours later and having drunk 2 quarts of gatorade and another quart of water he wasn't feeling any better.

At that point I knew we had to cut the hunt 5 day's short or my son would end up in the hospital more than 2000 miles from home. He was so upset that he ruined my hunt. I pointed out we attained all of our goals short of actually killing one and that wasn't likely on our first hunt anyway. We pledged to come back the next year but then Covid hit and the world changed since then he joined the Navy and is currently deployed on an aircraft carrier.

Good luck on your quest. My advice is do it! You can't be in good enough shape, and have fun with the planning!

What unit you hunting in?? ......................JUST KIDDING- JUST KIDDING !!!!!!! By all means get the tag. Be an active participant, not just a tag-a-long.

Last edited:

Ddubs20

FNG
Something to consider:
After the 2024 season CO Regulations are going to change. The initial thought is they are going to do away with OTC archery for non residents, at least in some units if not all. In 2025 having a point or two might be necessary to draw a non resident archery tag.

1 point unit, I like the idea of three new guys having 1 tag to collectively fill and share the meat. Next year the person with a tag gets to hunt a 2 point unit, the year after and furthermore if you keep rotating then you get a 3 point unit... Of course after some experience you may want more than 1 tag to fill.

Lurch12

Lil-Rokslider
This is a personal choice. I have been out with and without a tag. Success is based on the entire trip. And you are the only person to make that choice to buy a tag or not. Sounds like you have put in the leg work on research, has he? What is your hunting style, hunt together or each do your own thing?
If they money is there, id be buying a tag.

I had to make the same decision for the 2023 3rd rifle season. I could buy a tag and hunt or save some money and just tag along. I bought the tag. Would buy the tag again.

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
My son and I did our first and only elk bowhunt so far in 2019.

We had some basic goals. First to hear an elk call, 2nd to have a elk respond to my calling either by coming in or calling back, 3rd was to see an elk, 4th a shot opportunity and finally the ultimate goal to shoot one.

Goal 1 was accomplished within 15 minutes of getting to our camp on the ridge across from where we had our number one spot. We actually had 3 bulls calling from the next ridge the Thursday evening before Saturday's opener. At dark I pulled out my bugle ad called to have 5 bulls call back! the three we heard originally and one farther up and one farther down the drainage.

The next morning we went to town and got our licenses then scouted the drainaige to figure out how to get to where we herd the eld the night before. On our way down I called and got a response from where the 3 were the night before. On the way down the drainage it was super thrick with ferns that were taller than me and hid many dead falls. I tripped over one and the only thing that kept me from falling over a 15 ft cliff was a trekking pole that promplty bent 90 degrees when I threw it to my side. This spoked me enough to decide we wouldn't make the 1/3 of a mile 1000ft vertical ridge to wait until the sun was tarting to come up. As we worked our way down the next morning we heard an elk bugling farther down the drainage so we went downstream instead of our originally planned upstream where we had heard the elk the previous 2 days. We got cliffed out and had to turn around and go back up. As we stopped to have something to eat we see a successful hunter coming from where we planned on going. When he see's us he says "Oh shit you're not my friends." I congratulated him on his elk. We started talking and I asked if he got it upstream where the next drainage came into this one and he said yes. He asked where else we had planned on hunting because they would be packing out today and ruin today but it would be likely better latter in the week. During the conversation he told me that he had never seen anyone hunt that drainage in teh 10 years he had hunted it because no one wanted tow ork that hard. Talking about the other spots he told me that if any out of towners deserved to get an elk it was us. He had killed elk in 4 of the 5 spots I had figured had the best odds for us. He gave me two easier ways of accessing two of the spots and wished us luck.

Day 2 didn't see or hear anything. Day 3 we were hunting over a water hole and had a cow come down to about 80 yards from us only to have the wind swirl and she ran back over the ridge where she came from. The next day we planned on trying where we met the other hunter but I couldn't wake up my son. I was so pissed I almost left him at camp. Fortuneatley I didn't because when he finally woke up at 8:30 his eyes were nearly swollen shut, he said his whole body hurt and he was nauseous. He had altitude sickness. I took him over 2000 feet lower into town and 4 hours later and having drunk 2 quarts of gatorade and another quart of water he wasn't feeling any better.

At that point I knew we had to cut the hunt 5 day's short or my son would end up in the hospital more than 2000 miles from home. He was so upset that he ruined my hunt. I pointed out we attained all of our goals short of actually killing one and that wasn't likely on our first hunt anyway. We pledged to come back the next year but then Covid hit and the world changed since then he joined the Navy and is currently deployed on an aircraft carrier.

Good luck on your quest. My advice is do it! You can't be in good enough shape, and have fun with the planning!
@Farmingdale's Finest Why on earth have you not returned since 2019? Get back at it!

180ls1

WKR
Its never a bad idea to buy a tag and hunt. Thats the best way to learn.