1st archery Elk, Colorado OTC DIY 2012

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Congrats on the bull. I do have one question though. What elevation were you hunting? I wasn't seeing much at all up past 10K when I was out this weekend and it looks like you where up past that. Just curious.

OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR
Congrats on the bull. I do have one question though. What elevation were you hunting? I wasn't seeing much at all up past 10K when I was out this weekend and it looks like you where up past that. Just curious.
I killed my bull 8/31 at 11,200 feet. He was in the first basin below timberline. I ran into two fork bulls about 200 feet higher than that about 30 minutes before seeing this one, and this one had another fork bull with him.
Almost all of the bulls I was seeing up until last Wednesday were over 10,500 feet. I headed out of the mountains Thursday.

OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR
Figured I would update the thread.
Hunted hard for a mule deer but never even saw one to my liking. Biggest I saw was 22-24" wide 4x4, and was looking for something better.
I spent 14 days of my 25 days packed in somewhere 3-7 miles from a trailhead, covered elevation from 7600'-12,000' and saw several bucks within range. After covering about 14 miles in two days when packed in I was on the way out and saw a decent buck. Out of frustration I put a stalk on him, and I did release one arrow but was a horrible shot execution and knew I had missed at the time of release. I had a chance at another shot on him and just let him walk.

Left Colorado Saturday and went to Amarillo to be home for a going away party, packed everything into storage or my truck and headed back to Colorado.
Dropped my truck and some stuff off at Jake's (JG358) and jumped in with my wife in her trailblazer for a vacation up to The Grand Teton and Yellowstone national parks, out through Idaho, Oregon, and California to visit family.
After that have a first rifle cow elk tag to fill, then looking for jobs and a house in Colorado Springs.

Glad to finally be making the move back to Colorado.
All of you Colorado guys be on the lookout, A3d is back! ;)