1st alaskan black bear hunt.

Wireman07

WKR
Hey everyone, born and raised in South Dakota. Avid hunter and mainly bow and rifle hunt whitetail, muleys and antelope. Pretty limited on what we have here to hunt, unless your super lucky and draw elk or bighorn sheep in the black hills. I'm looking to go on my first black bear hunt within the next couple years, and I want to go to Alaksa. My first time in Alaska was last July with my 2 brothers and my dad. We spent 7 days in Seward and fished 4 days out of a charter boat and it was AWESOME! So I really want to go back up there and try a lower budget hunt. I'm thinking somewhere on the Kenai Penn somewhere. Not even sure where to start. Can anyone on here from Alaska chime in and give me a few pointers by chance? You can certainly message me if you do not want any info to be seen. I have been reading other forums and posts but there's so much information out there that it's actually making it hard for me to navigate through all this. Thanks everybody!

Yooper25

FNG
I recently moved to the Kenai so I don’t have much experience here but I hear about people having luck glassing the mountains from the highway. There’s also some good info on huntingadventureswithrogermorris.com

3Esski

Lil-Rokslider
basically what was said above. glass the hillsides and you'll see bears. Lots of creeks and such so make sure you are familar with your area and have good mapping, there isn't much service in most areas. I drove down Monday for a peek and saw several bears.

Go In September, Find a trail off the highway and start hiking. Glass a lot, you’ll find bears. FYI, the bears will be a lot higher than you think.

You will find a lot in the fall up high eating berries. They will stick out. I have seen 20+ in a single day.

Look up low-traffic hiking trails on ridgelines for easy access.

Geewhiz

WKR
Sounds like a blast. Did you ever get something put together for a caribou hunt or did you bail on that idea?

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

WKR
Go In September, Find a trail off the highway and start hiking. Glass a lot, you’ll find bears. FYI, the bears will be a lot higher than you think.
Dexter
Sounds like a blast. Did you ever get something put together for a caribou hunt or did you bail on that idea?
That's still on the list as well. I would like to go next year. Just didn't have enough time to figure everything out for the caribou trip.

Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Every single pull out on the highway from Anchorage to Homer will have guys in camo with binos pointed up a at the mountains. Pick an empty one and sit for awhile. You're bound to spot one eventually.

Lori C.

FNG
Classified Approved
I am still in the middle of my very 1st Alaskan Spring Bear hunt. I got my black bear my 1st hunting day. I let my 79 yo Dad tag out 1st. My Tikka T3x 30-06 with a Leupold VX 5HD scope using Nosler 180gr Accubond ammo did NOT disappoint. I dropped my bear with 1 shot. My first hunt of ANY kind. I hope to get a brown bear tomorrow. Hunting is AWESOME!!

Attachments

• IMG_0277.jpeg
    IMG_0277.jpeg
    519.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0281.jpeg
    IMG_0281.jpeg
    523.8 KB · Views: 36

AkRyan

WKR
Glass south facing slopes from the road and you will find them. Or send me a message and I will take you out to a bait station! We don't have enough tags to manage our area alone so we always bring in people that are trying to get into bear hunting.

Butcher8

Lil-Rokslider
I'd just find an outfitter with a high success rate, do drop camp DIY hunt...central Kenai Peninsula is not terrible but hundreds of hunters in the field with you...outer coast of the KP, PWS, and Southeast have the highest black bear concentrations, and the biggest animals..

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

WKR
I'd just find an outfitter with a high success rate, do drop camp DIY hunt...central Kenai Peninsula is not terrible but hundreds of hunters in the field with you...outer coast of the KP, PWS, and Southeast have the highest black bear concentrations, and the biggest animals..
I've looked into outfitters and such, just not my thing. And I can save a ton of money by doing a diy hunt. Granted my success would be way higher with an outfitter, but to me it's more about the adventure. Thanks for the reply!