Sold 1946 Winchester Model 70 .270

Status
Not open for further replies.

willd

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Letting fate decide which Model 70 I'm going to keep - I've got my JOC Tribute posted in another ad.

Selling my 1946 Model 70 chambered in .270 - first year of the transitional rifles. This one is in good condition, some blueing loss at the front of the barrel but overall in great shape considering it's age. The stock does have a red recoil pad, never had the leather boot off so not sure if it's factory or not but the boot does raise the comb which makes using a scope much easier. Leupold scope shown in pics is not included.

Looking to get $1,200 + the ride. Will ship in a plano rifle case.

First I take it gets it.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Here's some pics with the leather boot off. Stock has been cut & fitted with an aftermarket Hawkins pad. There is some wear/glue on the top of the comb where the leather boot was. I didn't try too hard to clean it up but I think it could very easily.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I’d just hang onto it if I were you. I’ve got more than my share of them and plan to pass them on to my grandsons. Glad to see there are still a few folks who appreciate the quality of the old workhorses and their contributions to shooting in general. They are a thing of beauty and just feel like you’d want a bolt gun to feel. If I didn’t already have several from the same period I’d consider this one. GLWS.

OP
W

willd

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d just hang onto it if I were you. I’ve got more than my share of them and plan to pass them on to my grandsons. Glad to see there are still a few folks who appreciate the quality of the old workhorses and their contributions to shooting in general. They are a thing of beauty and just feel like you’d want a bolt gun to feel. If I didn’t already have several from the same period I’d consider this one. GLWS.
I had never thought about selling it until recently, but I'm a bird hunter first and a big game hunter second so having two .270 Model 70's doesn't make much sense to me and I'd rather let someone else appreciate one of them. I do appreciate the craftmanship on it though and the action is incredible, on top of Mr. O'Connor's history who is also a native Arizonan.

Whichever one sells first will dictate which one I keep.

OneSkinnyHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had never thought about selling it until recently, but I'm a bird hunter first and a big game hunter second so having two .270 Model 70's doesn't make much sense to me and I'd rather let someone else appreciate one of them. I do appreciate the craftmanship on it though and the action is incredible, on top of Mr. O'Connor's history who is also a native Arizonan.

Whichever one sells first will dictate which one I keep.
Are you in AZ?

SloppyJ

WKR
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Wow what a great deal! If I wouldn't have bought my nightforce yesterday at the gun show, I would have bought this. There's no love for M70s here and that's a shame. Congrats on the sweet purchase.

Wyoming Nimrod

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wow what a great deal! If I wouldn't have bought my nightforce yesterday at the gun show, I would have bought this. There's no love for M70s here and that's a shame. Congrats on the sweet purchase.
Cheers, SloppyJ. Model 70’s, especially the pre64’s, are a gentleman’s rifle. And Willd is a gentleman. Me, that’s debatable. But Model 70’s and Mausers and Ruger M77’s always have my vote, I’ll say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.