18" barrel restricted or non restricted?

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
"(b) a firearm that is adapted from a rifle or shotgun, whether by sawing, cutting or any other alteration, and that, as so adapted,
  • (i) is less than 660 mm in length, or
  • (ii) is 660 mm or greater in length and has a barrel less than 457 mm in length,"
So long as it's stock (not adapted) from the manufacturer, not on the list of prohibited firearms, and not less than 26" in length you're fine. As the 870 TAC is stock, over 26" overall length, and approved by the government, it's legal.

Where it gets sticky with me are custom guns as I'm telling a smith to cut the barrel to a specific length. I will stick to the 457mm rule when I have my barrels done. I don't see a need to go shorter for my hunting rifles so I've left it unchallenged.
yes the word is approved by the gvt and saw what happened to 1500 rifles last time. i do agree about custom can be tricky.

anyway wish the best to the OP to get in time a FRT# just in case.

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
All of Canada this way?
If so I’m shocked cause the 16-18 inch guns are so popular here.
this is a federal law so yes it is for all Canada but as stop making sense wrote if the gvt approved one kind like the TAC with a shorter barrel do not ask. up to the time they are banning rifles with no reasons.

i can tell you that up to october 2025 few people here are still enjoying some rifles that are no safe in the safe only as they are prohibited for use ...

we got as well prohibition selling or buying handguns ...
but this is not the first our politicians banned firearms we have a long history of this,

may the next election in fall 2025 will bring a different kind of politicians and that kind of politicians will get rid of some idiotic rules we have regarding firearms if they have the will of course.