18" barrel restricted or non restricted?

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
I'm flying into Edmonton via United Airlines from Denver then on to Norman Wells via Air Canada. My rifle has a factory 18" barrel, XLR Atom folding chassis.

Is this rifle restricted or not. I've been scouring and have read it needs to be 18.5" or longer. I've also read so long as it's a factory barrel at 18" it's fine opposed to sawed off.
There is a brake that extends barrel to 19.5" but it's my understanding that does not count.

Any definitive answers? I'm not comfortable or confident with "it should be ok". I do t want to run into the wrong agent and have a problem on my hands.

Brent9477

FNG
I think you will be fine . Also length folded needs to be 26” . Think you will be right at it . Double check folded measurement . Travel with it folded out . Most customs guys a girls are pretty good but I see a couple evertime I’m there that are little tougher to deal with . I’ll be traveling to Norman Wells Aug 27th when you going

OP
j3butch

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
I think you will be fine . Also length folded needs to be 26” . Think you will be right at it . Double check folded measurement . Travel with it folded out . Most customs guys a girls are pretty good but I see a couple evertime I’m there that are little tougher to deal with . I’ll be traveling to Norman Wells Aug 27th when you going
July 31st.

cbeard64

WKR
Only the actual applicable regulations will provide the real answer. Plus maybe a call to verify and/or answer any questions or needed clarifications.

Do not ever give foreign agencies a reason to give you trouble. Even if it’s only a slight chance. My 2 cents.

A restricted firearm - "(ii) has a barrel less than 470 mm in length"

What's the definition of a barrel?

"(2) For the purposes of this Part, the length of a barrel of a firearm is

• (a) in the case of a revolver, the distance from the muzzle of the barrel to the breach end immediately in front of the cylinder, and
  • (b) in any other case, the distance from the muzzle of the barrel to and including the chamber,
but does not include the length of any component, part or accessory including any component, part or accessory designed or intended to suppress the muzzle flash or reduce recoil."

Close the bolt and measure from the hard bolt stop to the muzzle. That's my interpretation of the rules.

As far as folding, it must be 26" or longer when folded.

" (c) a firearm that is designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm by folding, telescoping or otherwise, or"

OP
j3butch

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
So after a lot of phone calls, transfers etc..I finally got someone to help. And BTW, everyone I spoke with in both the Royal Canadian Mounted Police department and the Firearm Technology Unit were very kind and helpful.
In short, the CFR firearms technical division is working on an FRT Record # so I can bring it. 🤞🏼
They have all the specs, pictures, pics with tape measure…I should have a record number stating it is a non restricted rifle.
This will hopefully just be used if I run into the wrong person checking me through.

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider
So after a lot of phone calls, transfers etc..I finally got someone to help. And BTW, everyone I spoke with in both the Royal Canadian Mounted Police department and the Firearm Technology Unit were very kind and helpful.
In short, the CFR firearms technical division is working on an FRT Record # so I can bring it. 🤞🏼
They have all the specs, pictures, pics with tape measure…I should have a record number stating it is a non restricted rifle.
This will hopefully just be used if I run into the wrong person checking me through.
Oh boy, when is your hunt, 2028?

In all seriousness we've seen in Canada the firearms lab and their FRT reports have taken multiple years to be issued. Hopefully not the case for you.

What rifle make/model is this?

gbflyer

WKR
It’s easy if you have a factory rifle as they have an approved list. Never considered the custom aspect. Good idea to have a paper trail. Even at that, ultimate authority lies with the border agent. I’ve found them to be reasonable over the years. Our guys could take a lesson.

OP
j3butch

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
Oh boy, when is your hunt, 2028?

In all seriousness we've seen in Canada the firearms lab and their FRT reports have taken multiple years to be issued. Hopefully not the case for you.

What rifle make/model is this?
Haha, the agent helping me realizes I have a little over a month to get this done and she was not concerned so I'm hopeful.
The rifle is a custom 6.5 PRC from Viking Armament built on a Lone Peak Razor TI, XLR Atom chassis. Doesn't help it has that "AR" look to it!
Overall length when folded is at 29.5"

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider
Haha, the agent helping me realizes I have a little over a month to get this done and she was not concerned so I'm hopeful.
The rifle is a custom 6.5 PRC from Viking Armament built on a Lone Peak Razor TI, XLR Atom chassis. Doesn't help it has that "AR" look to it!
Overall length when folded is at 29.5"
I bet it will be fine. Sounds like a nice gun.

There is only one entry for Lone Peak but it is the Fuzion-Ti but seeing how yours is also a bolt action from Lone Peak I really don't see why the classification would be anything other than non-restricted.

For anyone interested in seeing if their rifle would be useable to hunt with in Canada, https://www.armalytics.ca and enter or search your rifle make/model and see if it is non-restricted.

Honestly though, a bolt action with an overall length of 26" or more is going to be non-restricted 99.9% of the time. 0.1% chance of stupidity from our Government and RCMP.

OP
j3butch

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider

There is only one entry for Lone Peak but it is the Fuzion-Ti but seeing how yours is also a bolt action from Lone Peak I really don't see why the classification would be anything other than non-restricted.

For anyone interested in seeing if their rifle would be useable to hunt with in Canada, https://www.armalytics.ca and enter or search your rifle make/model and see if it is non-restricted.

Honestly though, a bolt action with an overall length of 26" or more is going to be non-restricted 99.9% of the time. 0.1% chance of stupidity from our Government and RCMP.
Let’s hope so

cbeard64

WKR
It’s easy if you have a factory rifle as they have an approved list. Never considered the custom aspect. Good idea to have a paper trail. Even at that, ultimate authority lies with the border agent. I’ve found them to be reasonable over the years. Our guys could take a lesson.

100%. I have had way more trouble with USBP coming back than with CBP when entering. Never any real issue, just harassment and delay when they realize I am a hunter. It’s absolutely infuriating to be treated like a criminal by your own countrymen/women.

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider

A restricted firearm - "(ii) has a barrel less than 470 mm in length"

What's the definition of a barrel?

"(2) For the purposes of this Part, the length of a barrel of a firearm is

• (a) in the case of a revolver, the distance from the muzzle of the barrel to the breach end immediately in front of the cylinder, and
  • (b) in any other case, the distance from the muzzle of the barrel to and including the chamber,
but does not include the length of any component, part or accessory including any component, part or accessory designed or intended to suppress the muzzle flash or reduce recoil."

Close the bolt and measure from the hard bolt stop to the muzzle. That's my interpretation of the rules.

As far as folding, it must be 26" or longer when folded.

" (c) a firearm that is designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm by folding, telescoping or otherwise, or"
your definition that you posted doesnt allow the remington 870 TAC with the 14 inches barrel to be non restricted .... good luck to understand our rules lol ... the OAL is 26.3 but still a short barrel.

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider

do not forget CBSA as it is what the OP will have to deal first.

your definition that you posted doesnt allow the remington 870 TAC with the 14 inches barrel to be non restricted .... good luck to understand our rules lol ... the OAL is 26.3 but still a short barrel.

"(b) a firearm that is adapted from a rifle or shotgun, whether by sawing, cutting or any other alteration, and that, as so adapted,
  • (i) is less than 660 mm in length, or
  • (ii) is 660 mm or greater in length and has a barrel less than 457 mm in length,"
So long as it's stock (not adapted) from the manufacturer, not on the list of prohibited firearms, and not less than 26" in length you're fine. As the 870 TAC is stock, over 26" overall length, and approved by the government, it's legal.

Where it gets sticky with me are custom guns as I'm telling a smith to cut the barrel to a specific length. I will stick to the 457mm rule when I have my barrels done. I don't see a need to go shorter for my hunting rifles so I've left it unchallenged.