168 or 178 Eld-m in the .30-06?

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Curious if anybody out there has experience with either of these bullets in the .30-06 for hunting. Game will be anything from deer sized up to moose sized. Rifle is a t3x battue with 20" barrel. Ranges at this point will be from 0-400 yds. However, after a scope upgrade I would like to work on stretching my effective range out to 600 yds. Both bullets are available to me locally and are somewhat reasonably priced so I can work on laying in a supply of them for practice. Thanks for any info you're willing to share I'm really new to the match bullets for hunting game!

SteveALA

FNG
I don’t shoot a 30-06 but I will say that you shoot whichever bullet gives the best and most consistent accuracy. Either bullet placed straight the leg middle of the body will definitely do the job.

bluumoon

WKR
My .308 win (18" barrel) round this year was 168gr eldm, hits 1800 fps right around 550 yards with pretty conservative loading. No terminal ballistics to share.

schmalzy

WKR
May not help you but I’ve used 178 eldx in my 06 with success. Very accurate in my rifle. Great performance at 2-300 yards. A little much sub 50 but devastating never the less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mojave

WKR
I had really good luck with a 165 Accubond in my Tikka 30-06.

I wish I still had that rifle, it was awesome!

Shot a couple of hunting rifle matches with it.

Don't overthink it. Run the numbers on any ballistic program. Based on the ranges you stated, which one, if any, has an advantage in trajectory. BC's aren't much different. From my experience with the '06 and similar bullet weights, velocity probably won't be more than 100 fps different with loads you work up.

It's encouraging to hear you say reasonably priced and local in the same breath! Merry Christmas!

Get a good supply of each. Work up loads, pick the best one for your endgame and practice away with the one that doesn't make the cut.

Food for thought. From a hunting perspective I think more bullet weight is better, all else equal once it reaches the target. Bullet weight is a constant, the more constancy the better, IMO.

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
Look at the Nosler 165 grain Accubond's as noted above. Its their Trophy Grade (not Long Range Trophy Grade). Ballistics are slightly better in the 165 than the 168s. Its a small gain, but when stretching it out, every little bit helps.

OP
M

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate the info so far guys. For those that recommended nosler that's pretty much a no go for me. They are at least twice the price of hornady's here in Canada and availability is not nearly as good. I want to go with the 168's as they are $10 a box cheaper here in town but I would go with the 178's if there is a measurable increase in terminal performance being heavier for caliber. This is also for handloading only. Thanks!

Bringing this one back up. Considering the 168eldm in my 30-284 (30-06). Looking at numbers in a ballistic app, if I can hit 2950 with the 168, it would have 10" less drop and similar drift at 800yd to what I currently have with a 185 juggernaut moving at 2825fps from the muzzle. It would also extend the range due to higher required terminal velocity of the jugg.

And I'd get a bit less recoil and it's cheaper bullet.

What are you guys getting for 168 eldm out of an 06? What powder?

ZWA

Lil-Rokslider
I am building an 18” 300WSM and the 168 eldm is on my short list. In the eldm family there is not a giant leap in BC until you go to the 208gr. So the 168 with velocity looks to shine. 4 more months until the build is finished sorry I cannot share more.

bluumoon

WKR
Put a load together for a friends -06, 168 TMK at 2960 out of a 20” barrel. IMR 4350, 1 gr under max book load. Would have to look up BCs to compare

Guy

Lil-Rokslider
Loaded the 178 gr ELD-X in my 30-06 with Ramshot Hunter. Muzzle velocity was 2790 fps. Accuracy was excellent. I zeroed the rifle at 200 yards and took it on a cow elk hunt in Oregon.

Long stalk followed by a 405 yard shot in a stiff crosswind. The shot broke her foreleg, then penetrated the heart. I was surprised when she managed to make it another couple of hundred yards before I could catch up to her and finish her with another shot at modest range.

I was reasonably impressed, and am now working with the 212 grain ELD-X which is also shooting well from my 30-06 rifle.

qnxXLK1h.jpg

aktOwX8h.jpg

Regards, Guy

Loaded the 178 gr ELD-X in my 30-06 with Ramshot Hunter. Muzzle velocity was 2790 fps. Accuracy was excellent. I zeroed the rifle at 200 yards and took it on a cow elk hunt in Oregon.

Long stalk followed by a 405 yard shot in a stiff crosswind. The shot broke her foreleg, then penetrated the heart. I was surprised when she managed to make it another couple of hundred yards before I could catch up to her and finish her with another shot at modest range.

I was reasonably impressed, and am now working with the 212 grain ELD-X which is also shooting well from my 30-06 rifle.

qnxXLK1h.jpg

aktOwX8h.jpg

Regards, Guy

Guy I based a load off the one you shared on UR. I had some Hunter and 178 grain ELD-X. Superb accuracy and 2750 fps out of my late dad’s 1:10 twist Interarms Mark X. May the 30-06 continue for another 100 years.

IMG_9198.jpeg

Reactions: Guy

qnxXLK1h.jpg

aktOwX8h.jpg

Regards, Guy

Funny... I just happened to read your hunt report article on another site. Nice work.

What velocity are you getting with the 212 and what load? I'd considered the 200eldx or 208eldm but would need to have my barrel throated farther out