14'r/Tarryall/Woodsman for day/upland/whitetail?

Felix40

WKR
Fair enough. Then I think you made a good choice. No reason to burden yourself with more pack than you need. The 14r is going to cost you a good bit more though.

Last edited:
OP
kodiakfly

kodiakfly

WKR
Fair enough. Then I think you made a good choice. No reason to burden yourself with more pack than you need. The 14r is going to cost you a good bit more though.

Good bit more than what?

But yeah, the day comes that I need a pack to carry 100+, I've got those bases well covered. What I'm wanting to do could actually be done in a big fanny pack, or turkey/game vest.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
I think you will be happy with your purchase. From what you described in your original post, I think it will be more than enough pack. I probably use mine to it's capacity and beyond. It's a great pack. I just recently had to remove the stays and wash it in the bathtub because it was completely trashed with mud and blood so that I could take it on our Christmas snowboarding trip. For 4 days I loaded it down with my 3 kids skiing/snowboarding gear to haul up and down the mountain at Breck. Lots of warming layers, snacks and skis and small snowboard lashed to the outside. Like I said, the pack can fill many roles big and small. What color did you get?

i've gone back and forth with everything from a small fanny pack to a full 26" external frame pack for day hunting whitetail. i've used multiple packs from mystery ranch, stone glacier, and kifaru. when i'm hauling a climber and extra layers up the mountains the full frame pack is awesome, but feels like massive overkill for anything else. i don't want to slip out my back door and do an evening sit, or do a still hunt through thick woods with a big frame pack on. furthermore, i don't want to have to be constantly switch my stuff over from pack to pack to suit the situation.

when i bought a spike camp i thought it was perfect. not so big that i won't use it for the less intense stuff, but big enough that i can load my late season layers in it and hike in for an all day hunt. i can strap a treestand on the back and i don't have to worry about it ripping apart and the suspension is heavy enough to handle any load i could put on it, but light enough that i don't feel like i'm strapped to a board. then they had to go and put out the 14'r which basically improves every short coming the spike camp had. i picked one up during the black friday sale and so far i'm loving it. i think you'll be happy with your purchase.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
Kifaru has always had a design or two that I really like but lately they've put out some stuff that I really can relate to. Good to see that the 14'r is doing well. I received mine right before Ranger Green touched down and i definitely would have gone that route. Mine is Coyote, and I love Coyote, but the RG with Coyote webbing looks really nice! Oh, well, I always end up wanting what I don't have.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
Heck yeah!....Ranger Green is sweet. I have seen a lot of RG in person and it's an ok color but the Kifaru RG looks darker, and really cool. I like it that it has Coyote webbing too. I was probably the only one disappointed when they came out with Multicam webbing to match the Cordura. I've always liked the contrasting webbing.

OP
kodiakfly

kodiakfly

WKR
I'm CB in everything else I have, but I like the color by itself, but yeah, add the contrasting straps and it looks awesome.

OP
kodiakfly

kodiakfly

WKR
Got the 14'r today and took it out tonight for a couple of miles after dark with temps in the teens. Loaded it with some puffies and basic survival as I might hunting deer. Really like it and I see even more features I appreciate. The zipper access to the center compartment with an internal sleeve on either side is perfect for putting dead birds in the middle through the zipper and still having gear on either side separated and clean. I'll figure out what pockets I want on the side for small stuff and MicroSpikes, but for the first hike and seeing it's layout in-hand, it's really a great bag for what I want to do with it.
1c3451336d513824e473187fafe08b49.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
That Kifaru Ranger Green looks nice. I loaded mine down the other day with about 53 lbs of sand bags for a workout and it was really comfy. I'm travelling with it right now. It's a bit cumbersome as a carry on but I wear it when I know i will be spending the whole day at airports.