140 ELDM vs 147 ELDM Terminal Performance

I know a lot of guys are using the 147 grain ELDM out of the 6.5 PRC, is there any noticeable difference in terminal performance between the 147 grain and 140 grain .264” ELDM bullets?

Foster_65

FNG
Interested as well. On a whim I tried some 140s in my prc and it loved them. Haven’t tried 147s but if performance is similar I’ll stick to 140s

swavescatter

Pain in the butt!
I'm no expert but I did listen to Form's podcast on terminal ballistics. My takeaway:

For equal impact velocities and bullets of similar construction, penetration will be proportional to weight. That said, 140's kill any animal in north America, recommended impact velocities above 1800fps. 147's have better BCs so that's what I shoot, but inside of 500 yds I doubt an elk would notice...

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
^^^^Bingo, I'm of the opinion that at average hunting range the 140 ELDm is the ticket in a creed. I actually wish they made a 130. I feel like the 130 Berger Hybrid shines in the creed due to this. Inside of say 600 velocity carries a big stick as all VLDs have a high BC.

Many times we get wrapped up in BC without looking at all of the Data and matching a bullet to the capabilities of the case capacity.

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
^^^^Bingo, I'm of the opinion that at average hunting range the 140 ELDm is the ticket in a creed. I actually wish they made a 130. I feel like the 130 Berger Hybrid shines in the creed due to this. Inside of say 600 velocity carries a big stick as all VLDs have a high BC.

Many times we get wrapped up in BC without looking at all of the Data and matching a bullet to the capabilities of the case capacity.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
I know a lot of guys are using the 147 grain ELDM out of the 6.5 PRC, is there any noticeable difference in terminal performance between the 147 grain and 140 grain .264” ELDM bullets?
There might be a slight penetration difference between the two because of the added weight, but with variables like distance and angle of impact, etc., you would have to shoot a lot of animals to see any measurable difference.

Foster_65

FNG
this is good info and my thoughts as well. my shorter barrel is moderately pushing these at 2940 so i think they will work fine. 147 is on the block to try, its just i cant make these shoot bad in this rifle for my intended distances. primary species for this is deer sized game but elk occasionally will be on the menu. i should have a few examples by the end of the season but my limited experiences with the ELDMs and Xs has been favorable however my velocities have been less. i usually shoot a heavier per caliber given the cartridge.

OP
I
Thank you for your replies, I’m debating about a short (18”) barreled 6.5 PRC. I’m not sure the velocity difference between the 147 and 140 but I know guys are getting 2850 fps or a bit better out of straight 140’s in 18” barreled rigs.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for your replies, I’m debating about a short (18”) barreled 6.5 PRC. I’m not sure the velocity difference between the 147 and 140 but I know guys are getting 2850 fps or a bit better out of straight 140’s in 18” barreled rigs.
18" is what I run. Keep in mind the minimum of 1800fps of impact velocity as your range limit. I like to use more than that as a margin of error.

OP
I
18" is what I run. Keep in mind the minimum of 1800fps of impact velocity as your range limit. I like to use more than that as a margin of error.
Are you happy with the 18” barrel? Or do you wish you had went longer or shorter?