12” Grendel bullet

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
I’m enjoying a 18” Grendel as my first AR platform deer specific rifle. I’m now starting to build a 12” Grendel. It’s going to be a multi purpose truck woods and critter gun including deer. I’ve settled on hand loads of 123 grain SST and 125 grain partitions for the 18” So I’m trying to decide on maybe adding another bullet or 2 for in the 12” hand loads. I keep hearing 129 grain ABLR bullets for their low expanding velocity. Not that I can’t buy them but having tuff time justifying twice the money for a bullet especially that heavy n slow.
What might be other options of a bullet at 123 grain or less that’s not a mono bullet.
I’ve been thinking maybe 123 SST , 120 ,123 or 100 grain ELD match , possibly 90 grain TNT or 95 grain v max? Anyone used these from a 12” barrel Grendel on game and got good performance?
Should I just swallow my pride n get 129 ABLR’s and they work that good out of a 12” barrel?

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
I thought that also but.
Well I ran numbers on the 90 tnt and 95 v max the 100 gr ELD ran better with its higher bc and showed a better energy at farther distance. However it still didn’t carry energy as well or as far as a 123 ELD or SSt. Lighter were definitely faster but had less energy. Maybe why back in the day they used really big slow musket balls?
But then again velocity counts too and not sure it’s just about most energy. Why I was asking if folks had any game experience with these bullets

ThorM465

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I don't have any game data to present on my 11.5" Lilja barrel, but I can report my muzzle velocity from a range of bullets I've worked up loads on.

Weight - BulletMuzzle Velocity FPS
123gr Hornady SST2272
123gr Nosler HPBT2278
129gr Nosler ABLR2153
100gr Barnes TTSX2521
95gr Hornady Vmax2449
109gr Hammer Absolute2300+ (In work)
110gr Lehigh Defense2300+ (In work)

Taudisio

WKR
I don't have any game data to present on my 11.5" Lilja barrel, but I can report my muzzle velocity from a range of bullets I've worked up loads on.

Weight - BulletMuzzle Velocity FPS
123gr Hornady SST2272
123gr Nosler HPBT2278
129gr Nosler ABLR2153
100gr Barnes TTSX2521
95gr Hornady Vmax2449
109gr Hammer Absolute2300+ (In work)
110gr Lehigh Defense2300+ (In work)
Seeing this, I would go with the 95g vmax.

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
I really enjoy the Grendel. I will say after moderating countless debates in the grendel Facebook groups the most common theme i see with the guys running 12" barrels is bragging about who's deer ran the least. It sounds like an archery debate.

If it were me I would probably try 123 eldm and 120 Nosler BT. Keeping shots close.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks gentlemen for the information. I chose the Grendel because it has excellent ballistics and range. Is it my beloved 30-06 of so many years and deer? No but it’s an excellent cartilage for multi purpose and medium game. I wanted something lighter and different than my bolt 06.
Thus I built an 18” Grendel. After seeing its abilities i decided to convert my 300 blk to Grendel also. I’m trying to figure out what bullets to work up and try and which not to try.
Anyone taken deer with a short Grendel and can give input on bullet used, performance would be appreciated.

ThorM465

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I personally wouldn’t put distance and a 12” Grendel in the same sentence. I personally don’t like the Grendel though.

What's the old saying? It's better to remain silent and appear the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt? haha But seriously man, you should take another look as it will surprise you. Both the theoretical and real world data demonstrate the Grendel as a very capable round from an 11.5" to a 24" barrel and everywhere in between. Check out this real world data on a 12" Grendel.

ThorM465

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I really enjoy the Grendel. I will say after moderating countless debates in the grendel Facebook groups the most common theme i see with the guys running 12" barrels is bragging about who's deer ran the least. It sounds like an archery debate.

If it were me I would probably try 123 eldm and 120 Nosler BT. Keeping shots close.
Blaming a Grendel for poor performance in whitetail is like a fat**s blaming their genes. You're not fat because of your genetics, you're fat because you lack the discipline and don;t put enough work in. If you can't reasonably drop a whitetail with a Grendel it's 10% bullet choice and 90% shooter inadequacy. A larger caliber is your ozempic. It's an easy button to cover up the real problem that will eventually get you if you don't do something about it. Get out and shoot.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
LOL I hear ya. Rifle wise ive used a few different ones over the years on deer but doing a 12" Grendel at its lower velocities has me uncertain as to what bullet would work well in it. Right now im thinking ill just run with the 123 SST or maybe ELDM that i have lads for and using in 18". Its not my 30-06 so i believe the bullet choice will be bit more critical.

I'd probably run factory 123 ELMs. I'd even try the 100gr ELD-VT if we're just talking deer/hogs. Then again I likely wouldn't choose a 12.5" 6.5 grendel over a 11.5" 5.56 due to simplicity.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for that ARK_Ginger.
I decided on the 12" Grendel to replace a 300 BLK i keep in the truck and grab when i need something. Ive came to the conclusion after much research that it would be tuff to beat the 123's . As for simplicity I dont use or shoot much 5.56 anymore and don't have one in a pistol. Im converting my 300 BK pistol over to 6.5 Grendel pistol to help keep things simple. I also feel the added range and ballistics of the 6.5 in a pistol would better fill my multi role gun as well as work on deer if needs arouse.

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Blaming a Grendel for poor performance in whitetail is like a fat**s blaming their genes. You're not fat because of your genetics, you're fat because you lack the discipline and don;t put enough work in. If you can't reasonably drop a whitetail with a Grendel it's 10% bullet choice and 90% shooter inadequacy. A larger caliber is your ozempic. It's an easy button to cover up the real problem that will eventually get you if you don't do something about it. Get out and shoot.

I'm well aware... I practice more than most. I'm just the moderator stuck dealing with the screaming children who are proud when "my deer only ran 70 yards" and it's a common theme i see with the 12" Grendel debates. It's not a topic that comes up when people compare and talk about longer barreled grendels.

What's the old saying? It's better to remain silent and appear the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt? haha But seriously man, you should take another look as it will surprise you. Both the theoretical and real world data demonstrate the Grendel as a very capable round from an 11.5" to a 24" barrel and everywhere in between. Check out this real world data on a 12" Grendel.

I am a fool for having an opinion, got it. I don’t need to check out any “real world” data as I’ve collected it myself and the grendel doesn’t do what I want or need it to.

ThorM465

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I am a fool for having an opinion, got it. I don’t need to check out any “real world” data as I’ve collected it myself and the grendel doesn’t do what I want or need it to.
Yes. All opinions are NOT equal, some are in fact foolish.

I’ve had excellent terminal performance on whitetail size game with 100 grain Nosler ballistic tips in both 20” barrel@ 2800fps and 12.5” barrel @ 2350+fps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Have you looked at the 105 Cavity Back Bullet? I'm loading the CBB in my 6arc, and its very promising. The 105 6.5 was basically designed for better terminal performance while hunting with short 6.5 Grendels. I think 6arc has a better range of weights for hunting than Grendel, but with the 105 I'd happily do what you want to do with yours.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to all of you that gave your input on velocity and bullets. I’ve taken few deer with a recurve bow and few with compound. I’ve shot deer with 222 to one with a 300 win and many calibers in between. I understand shot placement and only taking shots when they are good shots to take. I hunt for the adventure and my soul but I shoot for my freezer and table. I believe the Grendel is a great cartridge within its limitations. I’m a bit ocd about handloading so I try to pick best bullets for whatever Im using the firearm for. I’m older so I tend to go with tried and true be it hunting or fishing. I like to learn from others experience. Like the owl says. A smart person learns from their mistakes but a wise person learns from others mistakes. I do truly appreciate folks responding to my questions and giving any constructive input.