110gr Barnes TTSX in 308

Figured I would throw this in here as I haven't been able to find much online about this load since it isn't available as a factory option. I just put together a lightweight 16" 308 Win as a close to medium range hunting rifle and wanted a fairly low recoil - but high velocity point blank - round for deer out to about 300-325 yards, give or take.

Using 47.7gr of A-2230, along with Winchester magnum rifle primers (all I can find right now), I'm getting 3109 FPS on average with the 110gr TTSX bullet. Velocities were a little higher for a 16" barrel than I expected based on load data, but I'm chalking that up to being in a dry climate (powder at 30% humidity) and using magnum primers.

With the fact that the TTSX bullets retain 100% weight, it's going to be closer in performance to a 130-150gr standard cup and core bullet with regard to penetration. Plenty for deer at reasonable ranges in my opinion. I've had a few people scoff at the load and act like because it's light for caliber that it's not enough, but that seems odd to me since the same folks are fine with 100gr 243 Win, or 110gr 300 BO, or 123gr 6.5 Grendel using cup and core bullets, all at slower velocities. Sure, some of the other loads have better SD's, but you still have to look at that within the context of bullet weight and velocity, along with its terminal sectional density - which the cup and core bullets are poor at.

Anyways, just though I'd put this on the forum as a potentially light recoiling or flat shooting option to discuss for deer sized animals.

Schmo

WKR
Classified Approved
I just ran the numbers through 4DOF. At 3100 fps muzzle, 1-11” twist, 5,000 elevation, you’ll carry 2,000 fps just past 400 yards. You’re good to go.

OP
I
I just ran the numbers through 4DOF. At 3100 fps muzzle, 1-11” twist, 5,000 elevation, you’ll carry 2,000 fps just past 400 yards. You’re good to go.

1-10” twist, 3,000 feet elevation. I was getting around 2,200fps at 400yds on my app. It’s not the most advanced ballistics app though. But yeah, I think it should work well out to 400! I generally don’t feel great shooting too much beyond 300 though.

I had better downrange performance with the 120 grain version (not the TTSX) of the TAC-TX in my 308.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
I
I had better downrange performance with the 120 grain version (not the TTSX) of the TAC-TX in my 308.

Nice! I think the Tac Tx is designed for lower expansion velocity, so depending on range and velocity I believe either could work well.

pbroski

Lil-Rokslider
I have loaded the 110 TSX in my .308 with 18" barrel. I went as high as 53 grs of Varget with Win brass and Fed 210 primer. Velocity was about 3010 fps. I shot a deer broadside behind the shoulder from about 30 yards. It ran about 40 yards. Complete pass through and a good blood trail.

I was looking at 300 blackout ammo just the other day and was thinking the tac-tx bullet might be great in my 308. Have you killed anything with them? Shed peddles?

Schmo

WKR
Classified Approved
The Tac-TX might be a better choice. It’ll expand more aggressively, and possibly shed the nose petals. You’ll still get plenty of penetration. Either bullet you’ll be totally fine.

OP
I
The Tac-TX might be a better choice. It’ll expand more aggressively, and possibly shed the nose petals. You’ll still get plenty of penetration. Either bullet you’ll be totally fine.
I was looking at 300 blackout ammo just the other day and was thinking the tac-tx bullet might be great in my 308. Have you killed anything with them? Shed peddles?

The supposed only difference between them is the expansion velocity. So my understanding is; higher velocity caliber, probably use TTSX, slower rounds, Tac TX.

I’ve used the Barnes TTSX before on animals and as long as your velocity is around 1,800- 2,000 fps it expands well and you have 100% weight retention. I’ve never experienced it not expanding, and no shed petals. Usually ends up out the other side or lodged against the far hide.

So yes, either one should work great.