10yrs of BL alcohol stove use.

A decade ago I built a Bud Light bottle alcohol stove using this tutorial
and have been using it as a backup because its so light and boils 2 cups of water, no more no less.
4de3d0df5953bf35e081ef67f7f09d14.jpg
f35ee61ec3f8eb21a220bc4174eb6ce9.jpg
f2f02105e38f2112aae5dcbaf6829cd5.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
I've made them from hairspray cans (just pop holes in the rim after you cut it and place your cup on top), two pop can bottoms stuffed into each other and several penny stoves. They work and are cheap...but don't spill the fuel. It's near impossible to see.

here's my can stove in action.
P1010083_zpse238023d.jpg

Are you using these at altitude? Using a wind shield of some sort? I used one briefly and it was hard to get my water boiled.

rclouse79

WKR
I was obsessed with those things at one time and built many different ones with different numbers of holes to see which one would boil water faster. I went on an elk hunt in the snow with a friend and found out they were finicky in the cold at high elevation. After a week of watching him crawl into his sleeping bag after eating his mountain house while I was still trying to get water to boil, I decided to buy a jet boil. I still thought the alcohol stoves were cool and would bring them on occasion. The last time I used it my pot of soup fell off and I almost set the hillside on fire. I threw it away after that.
They are fun to tinker with but not the best option when you want to eat and get to sleep when hunting, at least in my experience.

Beendare

WKR
My evolution:
I did alcohol for a couple years due to a backpacking buddy being obsessed.
Then I made a little Sierra stove with fan that burned wood sticks.

Both worked, the wood was time consuming.
When hunting its not worth tinkering around, i light my Butane stove and Im eating in about 15 minutes.

Last edited: