100 yard zero or 200 yard zero for M.O.A.

OP
C
Here we gošŸ˜
I zero dialing scopes at 100.
- easier to exactly shoot and check zero, no wind inputs,.easier to find range etc.
- you gain nothing zeroing at 200 except moving your zero stop to that point. You gain exactly zero scope travel or anything doing so.
- when I'm actively walking and hunting a tailor my zero to the terrain. Open country mulies, dial to 300.
-Brush county bull tracking, leave it at 100.
-If you want to do a max point blank range zero on your scope , just figure out what that is and dial to that for walking around. If long shots, dial accordingly.
That's a good idea about dialing the yards to the range. And that's what I kind of thought that I wouldn't really be gaining anything by zeroing at 100 or 200. And thanks for the input.

OP
C
I was going to say trying searching that topic but don't. It's way more confusing.
lol,
Here we gošŸ˜
I zero dialing scopes at 100.
- easier to exactly shoot and check zero, no wind inputs,.easier to find range etc.
- you gain nothing zeroing at 200 except moving your zero stop to that point. You gain exactly zero scope travel or anything doing so.
- when I'm actively walking and hunting a tailor my zero to the terrain. Open country mulies, dial to 300.
-Brush county bull tracking, leave it at 100.
-If you want to do a max point blank range zero on your scope , just figure out what that is and dial to that for walking around. If long shots, dial accordingly.
I think it really depends on your style of hunting. Iā€™ve done both, but Iā€™ve settled on a 200 yd zero. I think if youā€™re hunting the plains or wide open areas where youā€™re just about always dialing and you have ample time to set up, 100 yd zero works great. But if youā€™re doing a mix of timber hunting/open country hunting, 200yd is the way to go. I consider anything from 0-300 ā€œcloseā€ I like to be able to pull up, point and shoot. Last year, I was still on 100 yd zero, and I had an antelope pop out at 330, and the drop at that range with 100 zero was just too large for an accurate holdover, so I had to pull out the range finder, dial up and then try to shoot, and I lost the opportunity. This year the same thing happened but I had a 200 zero, at that range, it was just a 6ā€ hold and I got it done.
In the end, I think both ways work, it just depends on your style of hunting and what works best for you.

Like most things, it depends. A few years ago I spent 80% of my time hunting bean fields with lots of opportunities for 200+ yard shots. Although I didn't take many of those shots, my rifle was zeroed at 200 yards. The last couple years I've spent 90% of my time in the thick timber where the longest shot is maybe 80 yards, so I switched back to a 100 yard zero.

Probably just need to have multiple guns with different 0s for different situations. I think I'll try to convince my wife that I need a new Springfield Waypoint for that very purpose. :)
Yeah I have a 270 that's zeroed at 100 yards for the timber I hunt. This gun I'm taken to the high country of Idaho, so I needed something for longer distances, and I was just trying to figure out why the gunsmith would say my gun needs to have 100 yard zero for a proper MOA adjustment.

H80Hunter

WKR
Is it possible he was just explaining that the 1 click = 1/4" only is valid at 100 yards?