1 week for non hunting vacation

Jmort1754

WKR
If you had one week to take a vacation with a young child (7) from western PA where would you go?

MTtrout

WKR
I never lived in PA and don’t know any background of your question. But steelhead should be running, the PA Grand Canyon, Allegany camping trip, Adirondacks of NY, camping at your favorite local spot and just camp and search for whatever and eat some good meals. What does your kid like to do and how far do you want to travel? We’ve been camping with our kids since they were born. If you want to travel further then we could give some more suggestions.

I refuse to go east of Minnesota and Minnesota only with bribes. My grandkids are attracted to camping and fishing. For really memorable experience, I take them placer mining for gold. Another option might be to pan sapphires at gem mtn west of Philipsburg Mt. but I have kind of limited thoughts on entertainment.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
I never lived in PA and don’t know any background of your question. But steelhead should be running, the PA Grand Canyon, Allegany camping trip, Adirondacks of NY, camping at your favorite local spot and just camp and search for whatever and eat some good meals. What does your kid like to do and how far do you want to travel? We’ve been camping with our kids since they were born. If you want to travel further then we could give some more suggestions.
We camp, fish, he's not totally into the outdoors, came from a single mother household before me and never really had anyone to take him outdoors. He's getting more into it. I thought about taking him on a fishing trip someone place on the coast.

Can you leave the kid behind?

But seriously, without knowing his interests or the budget... It's a shot in the dark.

My niece loves going on "big boats" (cruises).

Marble

WKR
Camping near a place I could be near the ocean, with trails and activities for kids at a park, must have a beach, a near by town that I can take them to get treats and maybe a trail to go for walks on.

A big or decent size lake would also suffice.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

MTtrout

WKR
Man I’m just guessing with what I understand from above. But camping, fishing sounds right. Make the woods something that is adventurous. I can’t tell you how many logs and rocks we picked up to look for critters while fishing. My oldest kid is five so I cannot truly relate so please don’t take this out of context.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Our favorite vacation with the kids was a road trip to Mt. Rushmore with lots of stops to cool places along the way; John Deere museum, John Wayne’s birthplace, Laura Engle’s Wilder first homestead, ect.

If this is more for him then like MuleyFever said, ask him what he wants to do. If he's not really into the out doors but is starting come around and you do decide to take him fishing/camping just make it fun for him. Know and be will to recognize the sing early if he's not having fun so you can redirect the situation. The moment it becomes unfun for them the chances of him wanting to try it again start to diminish.

Good luck and I hope you too fins something to do that will create great memories and a long lasting bond.

Rich M

WKR
Just remember that kids have the attention span of 5 seconds. Gonna be bouncing all over the place, looking for stuff to play with if he's not addicted to some hand held game. My stepson was addicted to the computer games and would make himself sick if we took him out in the boat and he wasn't catching fish all the time.

Try the camping and fishing thing and if that doesn't work, you can always relocate down by the beach or to a more distracting type environment.

Btaylor

WKR
If he is not really into the outdoors just yet maybe break it up and do a travelling road trip with a night or two camping with a big fire but also throw in a night or two at hotels with indoor pools if it feels needed.