1 Piece of Advice to pass onto a New Hunter

Jauwater

WKR
I'm not a good hunter, nor do I know many, but I see alot on Social Media, and they all keep their gear in Like New condition. I mean, just off my observation, that'd be my advice. Keep your gear like new. Although, this hasn't seemed to work for me 🤷‍♂️ So maybe it's the Sitka.

Last edited:

Yoder

WKR
Scout 10x more than you hunt and always be mindful of the wind.

robtattoo

WKR
Kill the first thing you see. Don't go chasing trophies, don't be concerned with means & method, just kill the very first legal critter you see. Whether it's on day 1 or the very last day of season. Nobody is every going to judge you on the size or quality of your very first kill.

Failure breeds despondency, despondency breeds apathy.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
Keep at it and don't give up. It may take 10 hunts for the right opportunity to present itself but if you give up after going 9 times it will never happen.

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
Start hunting the moment you leave truck/camp. I've killed just as many animals nearer to a road/camp as miles away from it. Too many people hunt with a destination in mind and hike for miles before "starting" to hunt. Most of the time with their weapon on their back/pack rather than in-hand. The hills can be full of animals while on your way to a destination and you don't know when you'll encounter one. Hunting is not just hiking for miles and miles before actually focusing on the hunt.

rideold

WKR
Start hunting the moment you leave truck/camp.
And don't stop hunting until the rifle is in it's case! I've stopped hunting on the way back to the truck a few times due to fatigue or lack of motivation only to bust an animal ridiculously close to the truck. I had a pheasant flush at the end of a hedge row mere feet from the truck once. My brother-in-law got an elk at the end of the day sitting on the tailgate of his truck. It walked out of the woods minutes before the end of legal shooting 30 yards away and stared at him while he slowly grabbed his rifle!