1 Piece of Advice to pass onto a New Hunter

Having a mentor is immensely valuable. If you can find someone that is willing to show you the ropes, you will learn and pick it up way faster than going at it alone.

After you find and learn from that mentor, pay it forward and help other new hunters in the future.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Having a mentor is immensely valuable. If you can find someone that is willing to show you the ropes, you will learn and pick it up way faster than going at it alone.

After you find and learn from that mentor, pay it forward and help other new hunters in the future.
RuggedYogi nailed it! A good mentor is the most valuable asset you can have. There is plenty of good advice on this thread. That said -with a good mentor all else will fall in line.

If you plan on hunting anything close to backcountry, your bow or rifle is not the gear you should focus on most. Boots, pack, knives, weather gear, etc...will make or break a good hunt, especially if you kill something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is the number one advice I give to people.

Don’t buy points. Hunt OTC and Invest the money that you would have spent on points in an account and go on guided trips as soon as you retire.

I have a minimum of $10,000 invested in the points system at this point and in 30 years that would be a lot of guided hunts on private land where I wouldn’t have to deal with the DIY crowd on a “high pressure point hunt”…..

Rocky723

FNG
I’ve only been hunting for a few years however this is my 2 cents. Don’t look at your “failed” experiences as failed experiences. Look back on them and see what went wrong and where you can fix it. I’ve learned more from messing up and learning the hard way then I have from actually harvesting an animal over these last few years.

Dsnow9

FNG
Get to hunt a day or two before the season opens and stay till it ends. (Colorado that is) other states that may not be reasonable. Also stay out before sunrise till after sunset.

- Enjoy the experience and don't forget to bring others into the sport
- Go hunting with your Dad every chance you can, even if it means cancelling other plans. You never know when it will be their last season
- "Hunt while you can because you will run out of health before you will run out of money." - Randy Newberg
- Keep it simple, don't get caught up in the hype for gear or think you need to be rich just to go hunting. Get a gun, get some comfortable clothes and go for a hike.