1/2x28 Threaded 30 Cal Rifles - Suppressor Horror Stories

Oldffemt

WKR
I have a tikka t3 lite in 300wsm cut to 21” and threaded 1/2x28. Have about 5-600 rounds through it. I’ve hunted with it a couple years with no issue, multiple day backpack style hunts. Can is griffin recce 7 16oz

OP
MTMeatHunter
I have a tikka t3 lite in 300wsm cut to 21” and threaded 1/2x28. Have about 5-600 rounds through it. I’ve hunted with it a couple years with no issue, multiple day backpack style hunts. Can is griffin recce 7 16oz
That’s really solid information. Thanks for sharing! Almost exactly what I’ll be doing soon.

Oldffemt

WKR
That’s really solid information. Thanks for sharing! Almost exactly what I’ll be doing soon.
I used this break/taper mount. It’s intended for .224 cal, I kept the 1/2x28 threads and had my smith open the bore up to an appropriate size for .30 cal. This way I avoided any adapters. I was working in the aerospace industry building prototype helos when I did this so I had unlimited access to engineers. They kinda laughed when I first started asking about it.
I think the manufacturers just don’t want unnecessary liability and that’s why they don’t recommend 1/2x28 for 30 cal. Why others feel the need to parrot bad info? Human nature I guess 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• FCD92CB6-08A7-49E3-B008-3D651595B6BE.png
    FCD92CB6-08A7-49E3-B008-3D651595B6BE.png
    187.8 KB · Views: 45

Sled

WKR
It's no different than threading a pencil barrel for 1/2x28 and running a break... no one is having issues with breaks blowing up because of that. It's more of an operator error.

xdeano

Uh, you have an 8" muzzle brake?

I realize you're talking about bore to thread diameter but you'll get away with threads that or out of concentricity with a brake more often than you will with a long suppressor. Eventually the lines will cross.

As for the mouth belling out, yeah you're correct.

Last edited:

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
Check this gun out.
https://weatherby.com/store/meateaterrifle/

So this gun from weatherby comes with 1/2x28 and it's a #2 Sporter. It's chambered in a few big boy calibers. It is marketed as muzzle break and supressor ready. So looks like even major manufacturers are starting to shift. People want muzzle breaks and supressors on sporter barrels. There is a lot of fake news out there these days. Okay so if you drive your truck over you gun with the supressor on the 1/2x28 will be a weak point. I usually use my guns for shooting not as wheel chocks

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider

7mm08 and some other smaller calibers even have a #1 contour!

WKR
TBAC stated that their concern they had was with falling or dropping rifle and bending with 1/2. I would imagine that is pretty rare.
If it's about dropping the rifle and not related to the power of the cartridge, it seems that horror stories (or lack thereof) about suppressed 9mm and 357mag rifles threaded 1/2x28 might be applicable.

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
Kimber threads their rifles 7/16x28 that is less than 1/2x28. They sell an adapter that is 5/8x24 for use with a supressor...

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
Christensen arms threads their 30cal mesa rifles 1/2x28 for a break, not sure they market it as "suppressor ready"

gbflyer

WKR
The pin gauge that wouldn’t pass in the muzzle may pass after threading 1/2”. I think the concern is potential loss of accuracy because of that. May or may not effect your barrel.

WKR
It seems like there should be some country science on this one. If a guy had a burnt barrel that was already threaded, could we design some tests for durability? Make something thread on to replicate the mass and shape of a can and drop test it? Drop stuff on it?

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
It seems like there should be some country science on this one. If a guy had a burnt barrel that was already threaded, could we design some tests for durability? Make something thread on to replicate the mass and shape of a can and drop test it? Drop stuff on it?
what we need is some youtube star who makes money off of breaking shit. He need to get 2 rifles of identical material and caliber in 1/2x 28 and 5/8x24 and he need to get 2 identical suppressor. He then needs to slowly mess with them until one breaks and keep going until they both break.

WKR
what we need is some youtube star who makes money off of breaking shit. He need to get 2 rifles of identical material and caliber in 1/2x 28 and 5/8x24 and he need to get 2 identical suppressor. He then needs to slowly mess with them until one breaks and keep going until they both break.
I have a 7mm thin sporter barrel with 1/2x28 threads on it that I pulled from a 90s ruger 77. It wasn't completely shot out but i was losing my groups and it was pretty rusty and firecracked, so I'm having a 7prc done.

I though about making a mock can out of steel pipe and doing some drop tests and maybe dropping something on it. Then boring it out to .308 in just past the threads and repeating the tests. Then either ramping up the tests until failure occured or increasing the bore dia until failure occurred.

Not perfect but a cheap way to test. I'm definitely open to suggestions if it's a worthwhile endeavor. I just have the barrel and figured that might be a way to put it to science. If it snapped at the threads at .284 without much impact, that would be a result. If it held up to a ton of abuse at .308, that would be a result. Anywhere in the middle would be somewhat indeterminate.

Is it worth doing anything like this? I'm not a youtuber. I'm not even a good photographer, so my wife says. I'm happy to donate my barrel to anyone willing to take up the cause.

ChrisAU

WKR
Two common impacts:

1) The classic lean against a tree and falls. Pretty easy for anything to withstand.

2) The other is a much harsher impact even if you don’t realize it. The shouldered but snags or hits a thick limb or tree. Dragging a 220+ lb weight to a dead stop. Close to swinging it into a hard stop.

I could see #2 doing damage.

CentennialState

Lil-Rokslider
Check this gun out.
https://weatherby.com/store/meateaterrifle/

So this gun from weatherby comes with 1/2x28 and it's a #2 Sporter. It's chambered in a few big boy calibers. It is marketed as muzzle break and supressor ready. So looks like even major manufacturers are starting to shift. People want muzzle breaks and supressors on sporter barrels. There is a lot of fake news out there these days. Okay so if you drive your truck over you gun with the supressor on the 1/2x28 will be a weak point. I usually use my guns for shooting not as wheel chocks
Good to know since I’m about to slap my AB Raptor on my 300WM 😆

Old post, I know... but I'm running a 5/8" direct thread suppressor on a Howa 1500 sporter barrel with factory 1/2" threads with an adapter. Zero issues. Incredible repeatability/groups.