1/2x28 Threaded 30 Cal Rifles - Suppressor Horror Stories

Whats the difference in threading 1/2 than screwing a 5/8 adapter over that?
Isn’t the wall thickness the same,before the adapter.Is there that much strength added?

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
Whats the difference in threading 1/2 than screwing a 5/8 adapter over that?
Isn’t the wall thickness the same,before the adapter.Is there that much strength added?
I'm an engineer and took a course called strength of materials. In the course you learn a lot about shapes, composite members and moment of inertia. How two separate pieces come together has a huge impact on the ability to resist deformation. For one thing steel is incredibly strong. A little goes a long way especially in tension which this is tention. The adapter definitely helps but it will never have the same strength as when it was one piece unless you bind the adapter to the gun somehow. A strong adhesive would be great but torquing it on tight might even be plenty to add extra strength. One way of think about this is a phone book. Hold it by the spine with one hand and the pages sag. Now glue each page together with epoxy or super glue and you effectively have an indestructible brick. When stacking materials you only double the ability to resist deformation, when you bind them together the ability to resist deformation increases exponentially. For my adapter I added some locktite and put a good torque on it. I think this a reasonable precaution. The stronger the adhesive the better insurance you'll get. The main benefit of the locktite is it effectively multiplies your stress on the threads due the lubrication. This is why people who use locktite blindly strip stuff. Torque specs are usually intended for dry application adding a lubricant can double even triple the stress on the threads when applying the same torque. Unfortunately with lubricants it depends on a lot of factors and it is not an exact science but there are some good rules of thumb out there for how much a lubricant will multiply the stress on the threads which also increases the tension in the screw effectively applying more pressure to hold things together.

Awesome info,I appreciate that and learned something.
I think we have a plan and with enough barrel im going to thread 5/8 and loctite on a 5/8 threaded sleeve and machine the shoulder to that.
I wouldn’t go this route if I didn’t have plenty of barrel for the threads.I just don’t have enough for the shoulder.

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
The more meat you can keep the better however 1/2x28 works. I'm all about confidence and we all know the 5/8 is the standard. I actually do not like hunting with a supressor. Before you invest in that route make sure it's what you want. There are many upsides but personally I value weight savings and no can can ever compete with a good brake when it comes to recoil reduction. I tried using a supressor but it just wasn't worth it in the end for me. It throws off the balance of the gun, it just doesn't handle well and it's super annoying when hiking through trees and brush. I love using a supressor on my 223 which has a 2 lb optic on it which helps balance the gun out. I use it out in the plains with no trees, but that's just simple varmint hunting. Just wish someone would have told me to slow down and think about it more. Not to mention cans aren't phenomenal for suppressing big game cartridges. Still would recommend using hearing protection. Just my 2 cents. Everyone has different preferences and projects. There also so high end lightweight cans that are better than the ones I got.

I Only theories about wall thickness and thread roots from naysayers 🤷‍♂️. Not saying issues haven’t happened, but I can’t find any evidence.

I wouldn't say anything about it being a theory..
I'd be curious in looking at identical everything except barrel threading and seeing if there is a accuracy difference.
The issue isn't with strength of the material but more to do with how the material deflects with the shot and in turn effects the ability of the barrel to produce a group that would be "acceptable". At the end of the day "most" people can't shoot a 1" group

Sled

WKR
The more meat you can keep the better however 1/2x28 works. I'm all about confidence and we all know the 5/8 is the standard. I actually do not like hunting with a supressor. Before you invest in that route make sure it's what you want. There are many upsides but personally I value weight savings and no can can ever compete with a good brake when it comes to recoil reduction. I tried using a supressor but it just wasn't worth it in the end for me. It throws off the balance of the gun, it just doesn't handle well and it's super annoying when hiking through trees and brush. I love using a supressor on my 223 which has a 2 lb optic on it which helps balance the gun out. I use it out in the plains with no trees, but that's just simple varmint hunting. Just wish someone would have told me to slow down and think about it more. Not to mention cans aren't phenomenal for suppressing big game cartridges. Still would recommend using hearing protection. Just my 2 cents. Everyone has different preferences and projects. There also so high end lightweight cans that are better than the ones I got.
Going light weight and shortening the bbl will help your balance issue. The difference between my ultra 7 and nomad Lt is significant on my 20" 270wsm.

I won't say I'll never hunt without one again but I don't plan to if I have the option. Suppressors have multiple benefits that I didn't understand when I first started using them. Now I rely on some of them.

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't say anything about it being a theory..
I'd be curious in looking at identical everything except barrel threading and seeing if there is a accuracy difference.
The issue isn't with strength of the material but more to do with how the material deflects with the shot and in turn effects the ability of the barrel to produce a group that would be "acceptable". At the end of the day "most" people can't shoot a 1" group
Being that many rifle makers such as Browning, Ruger, Christensen, and weatherby who are known for out of the box accuracy, thread 1/2x28 on some of their rifles tells me this is definitely not a concern. Steel is incredibly strong. You don't need a whole lot. You can hang 5 x F150s from a 1/2 inch grade 8 bolt. Steel is impressive. It could impact accuracy. My gun smith laughed when I asked him that question. He gets that question asked alot and he's never had an issue. Biggest downside to 1/2x28 is most muzzle devices for medium bore are 5/8.

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
Going light weight and shortening the bbl will help your balance issue. The difference between my ultra 7 and nomad Lt is significant on my 20" 270wsm.

I won't say I'll never hunt without one again but I don't plan to if I have the option. Suppressors have multiple benefits that I didn't understand when I first started using them. Now I rely on some of them.
I refuse to shorten a barrel. Most of my rifles are flat shooters and I can't compromise on that. I also hunt in areas with enough trees that 22 or 24 inch barrel with a 7 inch can is just obnoxious. Earplugs are lightweight and they don't get hung up on trees. These are just my preferences. Everyone is different. I like taking long shots on paper and with a good rest I don't mind shooting game past 300 yards. Honestly with a 30 cal 600 yards isn't all that long. Plus extra fps provides quite a bit of room for error and helps with wind. I also prefer a break for magnums, no supressor can do what a nice break can as far as recoil. Again not saying youre wrong just my preferences don't align with hunting with supressors except varmints. If my hunting was close quarters I'd probably be on board.

My guns are 24 and if I do run an ultra 7 I will cut to compensate for the difference.
My hunting is mainly on my 120 acres with a chance to shoot 300-400 but that’s a rare occurrence.Tree stand,ground blind and still hunting.Mostly hardwood rolling timber with all neighboring properties being hunted hard as well.I do like the thought of being quieter.
Using one on my 16 inch 22 will get the most use by far.
I may have an antelope or western hunt every so often but it’s not the normal.

I know this is an older thread, but I have a Ruger with 1/2”x24 threads on a 300 Win Mag. I have put an adapter to go 5/8”x24 and put a can on it. Only about 40 shots so far through it, but no issues.