Missouri Breaks elk hunt game cart? Ideas? Designs? Pro/Con

Looking at applying in the Breaks this year. A friend who has hunted 700 and 410 a fair amount via foot & boat has suggested having a game cart in our bag of tricks. Any feedback on this? I know it would have to be dry but would this be an asset or liability (we are old guys!)

Single wheel Game Tote style or double wheel? Brake, no brake.

Feedback welcomed. Thanks

With two guys a single wheel cart is much easier to get around in. You can side-hill, go over logs, fences. I really like mine. My father and I made them together using a motorcycle wheel and it has brakes which area must.

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
Never try a wheel barrel. Did it once never again. Game cart though hell yes. Like 6mm said, single wheel and brakes are key.

Here is a picture of my son's first elk. A really nice cow he shot. We each have a front quarter in our packs and the rear end is on the cart. Simple pack job!

No trail we just took her down the ridge to the truck. Come to a log you cannot go around it's simple to lift the wheel up over the log. Brakes are a must! It also folds up very easily to throw into the back of the pickup.

My son when he was 18 months old. Grandpa was packing precious cargo down to pick up a whitetail doe I had just shot.

Now he's no monster, but a spike bull again whole on the cart heading to the truck. Buddy of course taking a photo. A elk whole is a two man job. An antelope or buck deer out in the sage one guy can handle, but it is built for two. I packed 3 antelope on the car by myself once just to test the waters and it was not too bad. You don't have the side balance like a two wheel cart but the terrain you can take these on trumps anything about two wheels!

Mikealoo

FNG
I got myself a rage game cart for deer hunting, it's pretty big but I love it!

catchthemeasy has some reviews of models that you can check out if you're stuck.

Hope that helps!

Gumbo

WKR
I always have a game cart with me but depending on where you are it might be easier to pack them out on your back. The more rolling areas would be good for a high quality cart but some of that stuff consists of ridiculously nasty knife ridges. You might have to pack your elk to a ridgeline and then cart it out from there. In all honesty I have decided it is simply easier to pack animals out on my back in most cases, especially if it is a long walk back to the cart, in rugged country, or has lots of brush/sage. I'd at least be prepared to pack them a little ways on my shoulders, and take a full load out on my way to retrieve the cart.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
in addition to the crazy terrain (steep, ridges that simply end in a cliff, etc) the soils in the Breaks have a lot of clay in them and I mean a lot of clay- a rain event can end any wheel travel (even walking is extremely difficult)