Tenmile 3x18 FFP vs NF 2.5-10 SFP

mopar411

FNG
Hey all, I'm looking at picking up a new scope for my mountain hunting rifle and have narrowed it down to these two options. I'll be hunting the Washington cascades so shots will be mostly sub 350, but has potential for 600y (my max). I also plan to do predator calling, so I want to be able to have quick target acquisition at dark close range.

The tenmile checks all the boxes except for eyebox and close shots at 3x. The NF checks all the boxes except for price & zoom. I'm assuming if I need to hold for wind, I'll be at 10x so 2FP isn't an issue.

The Tenmile's 18x and FFP is a huge benefit over the NF, but the NF's weight and close range ability is a huge benefit

I've found deals with the Tenmile for $1300 and the NF for $1550. Which would be the better option for my needs?

OP
mopar411

mopar411

FNG
NF all day for your use case.
Yeah that's what I've been leaning towards. The NF seems better suited for short - medium range hunting, and the tenmile for medium - long. Plus the 20 oz compared to 24 oz is a huge plus.

My one reservation with the NF is the zoom level at 600. My local range is only 300, and 10x is np with shooting 4 inch plates. However 600 is a lot farther

bober90

FNG
Do you find yourself needing more than 10x magnification for 600 yards? I have the NSX 2.5-10x and it’s great. It’ll serve you well for your use case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mopar411

mopar411

FNG
I'm unsure on if I'll need more than 10x, I just don't have enough real world experience yet. I'm worried about getting a clear sight picture on an animal at 600 with 10x. The area I hunt has plenty of brush for a color phase bear or deer to blend into.

Also turns out I was wrong on price. 1300 for Trijicon and 1760 for NF. Pretty sizeable price jump

Wrench

WKR
Are you hunting big game or squirrels? A 350yd big game scope can be virtually anything....you're talking about 12ish inches in almost any cartridge.

In the jungle turrets can be more harm than good.

OP
mopar411

mopar411

FNG
Are you hunting big game or squirrels? A 350yd big game scope can be virtually anything....you're talking about 12ish inches in almost any cartridge.

In the jungle turrets can be more harm than good.
Hunting black bear and mule deer in brushy and mountains environment

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I'm unsure on if I'll need more than 10x, I just don't have enough real world experience yet. I'm worried about getting a clear sight picture on an animal at 600 with 10x. The area I hunt has plenty of brush for a color phase bear or deer to blend into.

Also turns out I was wrong on price. 1300 for Trijicon and 1760 for NF. Pretty sizeable price jump
Using a SFP Trijicon credo so I’ll throw this in - I’m not to 10x much let alone 15, when trying to spot shots/impacts. For paper I can see more mag, but having looked through both wouldn’t be worried about mag over the reticle itself.

OP
mopar411

mopar411

FNG
Using a SFP Trijicon credo so I’ll throw this in - I’m not to 10x much let alone 15, when trying to spot shots/impacts. For paper I can see more mag, but having looked through both wouldn’t be worried about mag over the reticle itself.
I’ve taken a look at the SFP credo, how has that scope been?

180ls1

WKR
Yeah that's what I've been leaning towards. The NF seems better suited for short - medium range hunting, and the tenmile for medium - long. Plus the 20 oz compared to 24 oz is a huge plus.

My one reservation with the NF is the zoom level at 600. My local range is only 300, and 10x is np with shooting 4 inch plates. However 600 is a lot farther

The range is *vastly* different than hunting in my experience. I've never needed more than 10x but I've never killed past 500. Many in the 100-450 area.

OP
mopar411

mopar411

FNG
Totally agree. I’ve got a good sale on the Trijicon so I might just pick that up, try it out, then sell used if I don’t like it. Can always get the nf for msrp later on

OP
mopar411

mopar411

FNG
Totally agree. I’ve got a good sale on the Trijicon so I might just pick that up, try it out, then sell used if I don’t like it. Can always get the nf for msrp later on
Plus where I’m at shooting, need more magnification for load development and longer shots. Nxs seems great down the toad

Dukhtr3

FNG
What's the best price you have seen on the trijicon? I have been shopping for one. Best I have seen is 1169.00 at optic planet.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

OP
mopar411

mopar411

FNG
Just picked up the 3-18 ffp mrad from Florida gun exchange for 1300. For this model I couldn’t find cheaper
What's the best price you have seen on the trijicon? I have been shopping for one. Best I have seen is 1169.00 at optic planet.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Bado20

FNG

I'm shooting an NRL hunter match this weekend with the NF 2.5-10 and didn't feel like I was undermagnified even on the 750 yard target. YMMV

No first hand experience with either but I have an SHV 3-10 and have shot it to right at 570 and didn’t have an issue. This evening I was doing some dry fire practice and ranged a spot at 742 and don’t think I would have had an issue shooting that spot at 10x even at 6x I think it would have been very doable.

str8ripon

FNG
I have the Trijicon and the only thing that really stands out comparing it to quite a few other scopes in last couple of days (LRHS2, Leupold VX6, Minox ZP5, ATACR 4-16), IMO is the turrets. To me (not super experienced) you definitely have to concentrate when adjusting the Trijicon more than all the others.

IQ, eye box, eye relief, etc not really noticeable (Minox and ATACR a cut above the rest obviously). Trijicon by far the best illumination.

ElPollo

WKR
Plus where I’m at shooting, need more magnification for load development and longer shots. Nxs seems great down the toad
Respectfully, some of your assumptions about what you need in a hunting scope may not improve your performance.

1) I generally find high magnification to be more of a hindrance than a help for hunting. I’ve used 3-15s in the past and have not felt the need to turn them above 10 in the field (generally not above 6x). Higher magnification means more time getting on target, less ability to spot your own shots, and more time for follow-up shots. None of that is good for hunting.

2) If you ever have to hold for wind, a SFP variable scope is not the way to go. FFP and mils, if you are going to use a variable scope. See the discussions on here about quick drop and wind brackets or listen to the recent Shoot2Hunt podcast on mils vs MOA.

What I’m saying may seem antithetical to your experience, but I’ve been down that road thinking I needed to upgrade and found that it really didn’t help me. My favorite western hunting scope is still the $300 fixed 6x SWFA with a mil reticle. It’s simple, durable, fast and accurate. And unfortunately it’s really hard to get right now.