Talk me out of it. New rifle decision.

OP
D
You don't say what you will do with it. What can it realistically do that your 300 Win Mags can't do?

While you are dreaming ... how about a Havoc Slam in 7 PRC instead?
Elk first, deer second. I currently use a 338 RUM. That and my 300 win mag have killed just as well as each other. So really nothing that either round cannot do.

Buddy, that would be an awesome rifle. For a long time I turned my nose up at any hunting rifle that didn’t have a wood stock and had the fancy modern design. Wood tells a story.
Yep. It really comes down to how you view a firearm. If you view it as a companion or a prized possession then I feel that you should get something with a wood stock.

If you view it as a tool or something less intimate then I say go for plastic! I love my plastic bolt action, but it has no soul. It sounds insane but when you feel the two, the wood just has that special something!!

Jeff_Gibbons

Lil-Rokslider
Tough question. For hunting at distances my ethics dictate, seems a toss up. For banging steel at extended distances, PRC. Can’t speak to the rifle as have zero experience with seekins.

Flyjunky

WKR
So I agree with the 7 PRC recommendation… Having shot both, the jump in recoil is very noticeable and unless you're shooting a mile, I don't think there's really much benefit. It's definitely easier to more accurately shoot the 7 PRC than it is the 300 PRC.
I’ve always wondered about this statement when referring to the 7prc vs a 300. If recoil is a factor in shooting accurately than why not just go to the 6.5prc? 300prc to 7prc is like a 32% reduction in recoil. 7prc to 6.5prc is like a 28% reduction. The difference in ballistics from 300 to 7prc is about the same as 7prc to 6.5prc. So, why doesn’t the recoil and ballistics argument for the 7prc hold for the 6.5prc?

I’m not picking on you, just wondering why the 7prc advocates don’t take their own advice? I’m genuinely curious.

Flyjunky

WKR
I have my mind set on a Seekins PH2. I am on the fence on a 300 prc or the 300 win mag. I have reloading components to last my lifetime for the 300 win mag, but the prc just checks all the boxes for me. I only have the 300 win mag components because I have a few rifles chambered in that caliber. They are back ups, but I felt it necessary to stock up. The fiscal choice is a 300 win mag, but if I’m spending the money on my dream rifle I feel I should get the caliber want as well.
What current rifles do you have in 300wm?

Have you considered taking one of those actions and putting a new barrel on it, custom reamer for the long, heavies? Add a nice stock and you’d have something more tailored to exactly what you want, for less money most likely.

Just throwing that out there as an option as well.

I’ve always wondered about this statement when referring to the 7prc vs a 300. If recoil is a factor in shooting accurately than why not just go to the 6.5prc? 300prc to 7prc is like a 32% reduction in recoil. 7prc to 6.5prc is like a 28% reduction. The difference in ballistics from 300 to 7prc is about the same as 7prc to 6.5prc. So, why doesn’t the recoil and ballistics argument for the 7prc hold for the 6.5prc?

I’m not picking on you, just wondering why the 7prc advocates don’t take their own advice? I’m genuinely curious.
I understand what you're getting at, and it comes down to a couple of factors, one of which is different for everyone. That is manageable recoil. I know that I, as a shooter, can very easily manage the recoil of the 6.5 PRC and shoot it accurately, as well as the 7 PRC. I also know that I as a shooter can more accurately shoot the 7 PRC than I can the 300 PRC because of recoil. Plus, it's more enjoyable to shoot the 7 PRC so I can become more proficient as a shooter.
Now, my reason for the 7 PRC over the 6.5 PRC comes down to the ability to push heavier bullets for larger game.

yeti12

Lil-Rokslider
10 years from now, the 300PRC will be what the 300WSM is now. Dead. The 300WSM didn't unseat the 300WM. Matter of fact, the 300PRC and 6.5PRC are already taking a back seat to the 7PRC. Remember when the 6.5CR was the rave? Meanwhile, the 300WM will continue to be a top 10 cartridge just as it has been for like 70 years....for good reason....it works.
6.5 creed is still very common...

None of the prc's are going anywhere, and if they do who cares? I'll shoot the cartridge that replaces them. The shooting community is so tradition based they get mad when company's stop supporting decades old rounds when they have new rounds that outperform them. Barrels are a wear item, if I go to rebarrel and I can no longer buy what I need I'll just change cartridges.