Stone glacier vs kuiu pack for tall individuals

yeti12

Lil-Rokslider
So I've ran a kuiu pack with the old suspension for the last 5 years and decided to try stone glacier this year just cause I've heard so many good things about em. I'm 6ft 7in.

I cannot get the pack to be comfortable at all, I've adjusted everything multiple different ways and SG (awesome customer service) even sent me out different stays so I can swap between the curved and straight frame. Longer shoulder straps are on the way now.

Anyone else experience this? Am I missing something? I've compared the 2 packs with 30lbs and 70lbs but haven't went and hiked for extended periods cause I'd like to send the SG pack back if I can't get it to work.

Last edited:

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 6’ 3” and like my Kuiu. Used an old MR nice frame and thought I liked it but sold it once I borrowed a sheep guide friend’s Kuiu for a hunt. My brother is 6’ 5” and loves my old MR. I think people need to try more packs with an open mind and they might be surprised to find what works best for them.

OP
yeti12

yeti12

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 6’ 3” and like my Kuiu. Used an old MR nice frame and thought I liked it but sold it once I borrowed a sheep guide friend’s Kuiu for a hunt. My brother is 6’ 5” and loves my old MR. I think people need to try more packs with an open mind and they might be surprised to find what works best for them.
Yeah im really curious how many packs people have tried before landing on sg or if that was their first pick and they recommend it without trying any others.

Bergy-Bowsmith

Lil-Rokslider
I am not tall but ill say this I have tried many many many packs but I wanted to love the kuiu packs, I just couldnt, as a avid KUIU user with well over 15k in their clothing. the pack just barreled to much for me , and didnt ride well with heavy weight, with just my gear it was fine it was packing out that sucked, also had a few durability issues, but other then that i loved the layout and the fit and function just not the real world use of the KUIU. I went to MR after that, had a ton of hip belt hot spots with MR, went to Kifaru, and again had alot of hot spots even after getting adjusted by Kifaru, im now on Stone Glacier, and have zero intent on getting rid of it , waist belt is fully adjustable to change the pressures to avoid hot spots ( important for a small fellow like me) frame is comfortable, lots of pack options and modularity, packs are still made in USA. and the customer service is top notch.

I wish I would have went SG from the start. I would consider loading it really heavy and going on a walk and adjusting out wherever your hot spots are instead of trying to fix everything at once.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
Hip belt hot spots was my chief complaint with my MR as well. Everything else about it was great.

2STRO

FNG
So I've ran a kuiu pack with the old suspension for the last 5 years and decided to try stone glacier this year just cause I've heard so many good things about em. I'm 6ft 7in.

I cannot get the pack to be comfortable at all, I've adjusted everything multiple different ways and SG (awesome customer service) even sent me out different stays so I can swap between the curved and straight frame. Longer shoulder straps are on the way now.

Anyone else experience this? Am I missing something? I've compared the 2 packs with 30lbs and 70lbs but haven't went and hiked for extended periods cause I'd like to send the SG pack back if I can't get it to work.
Buddy of mine is 6-4 and loved his stone glacier. He did brake the frame in Alaska packing a moose, but they replaced it at no cost.

I know you said Kuiu or SG but have you considered mystery ranch? Had mine for a few years now and have no complaints. Packed a ton of weight (70+lbs) and felt comfortable.

OP
yeti12

yeti12

Lil-Rokslider
I know you said Kuiu or SG but have you considered mystery ranch? Had mine for a few years now and have no complaints. Packed a ton of weight (70+lbs) and felt comfortable.
I've tried one on but nothing extensive. This really wasn't a what's the best pack post I was just curious if I was the only one who didn't find sg to be comfortable, cause it almost seems like it. Wanted to make sure there wasn't some hack I'm missing.

To my knowledge, Stone Glacier only offers one frame height (25"). And SG's 25" is a lot like Kifaru's 24" as far as load lifting ability, on my body at least.

Exo offers multiple frame heights, as does Kifaru. I know Kuiu does too. Really the one to stay away from is SG.