Quitting Alcohol

barnguy

FNG
I don't have any personal experience with this struggle. But good luck man. I do know several people that have struggled with this and it's not easy to kick the habit.

One day at a time.

12/31/23 was my last twisted tea at a Seahawks game. I have typically done "dry January" in the past, however this year I just kept it rolling. Its amazing the difference it has made. My goal is 1 year just to say I did it. At this rate though, I want to keep it going.
I was at that game too! Go Steelers!!

Sorry...couldn't resist :)

Sawdog

FNG
I am putting some thought into this as well. Seems its the new thing. Maybe an age thing or a priority thing. Its (drinking) been part of my life for long time and honestly very few issues and very little drama associated with drinking but part of me keeps saying it might be time to rethink it.

JENSEN

FNG
Sobriety or abstainance, sobriety which can make some folks a bit leary using that word, is a beautiful thing. I started working on getting sober at 22, but I had a lot of issues...my issues had issues to be exact. I'm 35 and have not drank in 10 years and it's helped me grow as a person. I will have a bud zero or a Heineken zero here or there but alcohol and i have had a dysfunctional relationship. I know a lot of folks who cut back for health or just decide that they want to quit for one reason or another. Either way it can be empowering to some folks. It can be strange to not drink because we associate alcohol with so many activities and that's probably the hardest part - learning to work through those associations we have. Anyway, the health benefits are plentiful and altering a behavior like quitting alcohol can be a catalyst into other behavior such as getting more exercise, better sleeo hygiene, etc. I always to try encourage folks who set out on the journey one way or another, so whoever is working on trying out not drinking - awesome, whoever is in recovery - keep it up. 👍

Lost my best friend of 43 years in October who was 43 years sober. Met him 60 days after he stopped. Speaker at AA meetings. Watched him and helped him through the process. Skin Cancer, Open Heart Surgery, Lung Cancer. Two wives and innumerable girlfriends. Watching a 12 year old little girl give her Daddy his 1 year chip is pretty amazing. Wishing all of you fighting the demons associated with alcohol the very best. You can do it.

I added the pic below to show those fighting this battle that it can be done. Dan gave me his 42 year Chip in appreciation of being his very best friend in life and his "Brother from another Mother". Dans 42.jpg

Last edited:

eamyrick

WKR
The 27th of this month will be 5 months no drinking. I cannot tell you how clear minded i have been and how much i enjoy feeling good. Been to a few events where alchohol was the center piece and i just hung out soiber but had a great time. I placed 14th in a charity texas holdem tournament out of 300 and was sober first time playing poker. As others have stated i wish i made the decision 10 years ago. Keep posting the positives i enjoy reading them.
I think I’ve mentioned it in this thread before but after 3-4 months sober I experienced a fog lifted off of my brain. Just passed 10 years in April I can’t imagine my life any other way. I take my wife out to events regularly and just have soda and lime.

3Esski

Lil-Rokslider
Heading into year 4 of not drinking. Was a big change at the start but don't miss it a bit. Heading into a really nasty divorce and haven't even thought about drinking. Seeing this post and just thought I would chime in and say some folks can drink in moderation and that is great for them, I can’t and it took a long time to realize that. I can say for sure quitting was the best thing I have ever done for myself. It is hard at first and your friendships will change, but once you have some clarity it will become obvious that it was a positive. Best of luck for those who try. Feel free to reach out if you ever need to talk.

LFC911

WKR
I don't know if I'll be in front of a computer tomorrow, so I'll post this today...6/7/23 my hunting buddy and I mounted a scope and each of us finished off half of a 12 pack of 16oz. silver bullets. That is the last time I drank, so I guess I'm officially one year sober! I was 250+ lbs at that time and now I'm down to 235. I can't say that i "feel" any better, physically, but i wake up better every day knowing I'm better for it. I get my annual bloodwork tested on Monday and will report back if there are any significant changes. N/A Cheers guys and keep up the great work!

Lots of comments about weight and health, post drinking.

What I learned in my journey of sobriety is that there's still struggles, health issues, and mood swings. Though, I handle all of them very differently now.

It took me almost a year to drop noticeable weight. I thought that when I stopped drinking, that the weight would just fall off. Not the case. I did lose 5-6lbs immediately and no longer have the big weight swings, but it still took quite a bit of exercise, dedication, and sweat to drop the nearly 30lbs. It's also much easier to keep it off. When I drank, I became lazy in both my diet and workout routine. Sober, it's much easier sticking to the plan or getting back on track.

I've always been relatively healthy, even when drinking. Still, I get injured, slow and stiff when I wake up (old age crap!), and my eyesight is drastically going downhill. I've got lots of problems/issues without drinking. Though, I couldn't imagine how much worse off I'd be if I were still drinking.

schmalzy

WKR
Lots of comments about weight and health, post drinking.

What I learned in my journey of sobriety is that there's still struggles, health issues, and mood swings. Though, I handle all of them very differently now.

It took me almost a year to drop noticeable weight. I thought that when I stopped drinking, that the weight would just fall off. Not the case. I did lose 5-6lbs immediately and no longer have the big weight swings, but it still took quite a bit of exercise, dedication, and sweat to drop the nearly 30lbs. It's also much easier to keep it off. When I drank, I became lazy in both my diet and workout routine. Sober, it's much easier sticking to the plan or getting back on track.

I've always been relatively healthy, even when drinking. Still, I get injured, slow and stiff when I wake up (old age crap!), and my eyesight is drastically going downhill. I've got lots of problems/issues without drinking. Though, I couldn't imagine how much worse off I'd be if I were still drinking.

Well said. I’ve had a few situations over the last few years that would have crushed me if I was still drinking. They were still difficult, but my ability to navigate through them undoubtedly was in large part due to being clear minded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk