mini excavator

tdhanses

WKR
I have a 2ton, it works great for what it’s intended for, wouldn’t excavate a basement with it but for fine detailed work and smaller jobs it is great. I have access to a larger E45 my buddy owns that is great for a tad larger projects.

The best aspect of owning vs renting is you can use it when it suits you time wise and not be on the clock rushing. If you get to a point you don’t use it much just sell it, they don’t tank in value fast.

I got a mini hoe on my bx23s. Use it weekly. Planting apple trees, digging trenches for new utility lines,digging up tree stumps, moving dirt around my farm. I love it. IMG_2598.jpeg

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I would never consider buying one for home use unless I had A LOT of use for it. Those little ones are basically useless anyway - you might be able to out dig it with a shovel 😂

Everyone also underestimates how expensive equipment is to maintain after it’s a few years old.

M-Wig

Lil-Rokslider
Full disclosure, we own an equipment rental company, so not unbiased. That said, I'd just rent what you need. The smallest machines we carry are about 3500lbs. (John Deere 17G). That size is very limited on what you can do. Also, bucket sizes available in comparison to what job you are trying to do is something to keep in mind.

Definitely positives to owning if you continually have jobs to do, and they typically require the same size machine.

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a 7500# Kabuta bought it for $5k in need of repairs paid for itself in a couple jobs but I was in the business good used might be better than POS new but then again if you can rent one for less than interest cost probably better deal

Beendare

WKR
I have a couple of them....great machines but a little bit of a learning curve to run them well.

I think for a farm it would be hard to beat that little Kubota tractor above in post #22 with a shuttle shift transmission in it.

We have a 43 HP JD 4600 MFD tractor with a JD 480 rear mounted hoe as well as 460 loader attachment. Been great around our house build and subsequent landscaping. Snow removal too as well as digging up a leaky water line and planting more trees, etc. Have <$20,000 in it and its been reliable for the past 15 years and was bought used. Hydro transmission is great for bucket work.

tdhanses

WKR
I have a couple of them....great machines but a little bit of a learning curve to run them well.

I think for a farm it would be hard to beat that little Kubota tractor above in post #22 with a shuttle shift transmission in it.
Yeah when I got my little 25hp tractor I elected to not get the backhoe, just seemed like a small mini would be a much better tool then having a backhoe on a small tractor, cost is pretty similar when you consider those backhoes cost $10k+.