Late Season Tent Upgrade

In the market for a new late season tent option. What’s everyone running for those cold late October-November hunts? Looking hard at the Peax Solitude vs Argali Absaroka 4P vs SO Cimmaron w/ stove. Will be used on a Montana rifle hunt this year. Really like the height and trekking pole feature in the Solitude. Open to other options as well.

OP
D
In the market for a new late season tent option. What’s everyone running for those cold late October-November hunts? Looking hard at the Peax Solitude vs Argali Absaroka 4P vs SO Cimmaron w/ stove. Will be used on a Montana rifle hunt this year. Really like the height and trekking pole feature in the Solitude. Open to other options as well.
This will be a 2-3 man option as I’m currently running the SO Silex for solo hunts.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not at all familiar with it, but there's a photo on the Peax website from the top down of the interior of the solitude, with two guys, gear, and stove. It looks incredibly cramped, both guys jammed up against the wall of the tent, anything touching it no doubt wet from condensation, a bit too close to the stove for how I'd be comfortable sleeping.

For three guys and stove you're looking at a Redcliffe minimum. Seek and Argali both say their respective tents are two person with a stove.

OP
D
I'm not at all familiar with it, but there's a photo on the Peax website from the top down of the interior of the solitude, with two guys, gear, and stove. It looks incredibly cramped, both guys jammed up against the wall of the tent, anything touching it no doubt wet from condensation, a bit too close to the stove for how I'd be comfortable sleeping.

For three guys and stove you're looking at a Redcliffe minimum. Seek and Argali both say their respective tents are two person with a stove.
Sorry should have made that more specific planning 2 guys w/ the stove, 3 w/o if it comes down to it. I also saw that picture and it made me nervous making the purchase. Looked on the website and saw the dimensions are very similar to the Argali w/ more head room in the Peax so was confused on the congestion in that photo on the website.

Bearsears

WKR
If you want to have 3 people, gear and wood/stove in the tent then Id go with the Redcliff from Seek Outside. If you want the same with 2 people then a Cimmaron will work. I have both and Ive used both in terrible conditions late season. They have held up to heavy snow, rain, and high winds well. I'm not sure about the other two but in my opinion, Id go with the tried and true options and not be a guinea pig for new products coming online. I do like Argali a lot though and I think Brad is really invested in making quality gear so his stuff would be my 2nd choice.

TxLite

WKR
What direction did you end up going? I am in a similar boat and the Peax and Argali seem to be the front runners.

OP
D
@TxLite I ended up going with the Peax Solitude. So far I’ve put 15 nights in it. 7 of the nights being with the argali stove setup. The highlight of the Solitude is the crosstrek stabilization by far which i think is the real deal. It held up really well in the 25+ winds on a prairie mule deer hunt where I had almost no wind breaks. It also is awesome for hanging gear to dry out. With the stove I got to run it down to single digit temps on a mountain hunt with a small amount of snow/ice and it held up really well. As mentioned above, it was a tight fit with 2 guys and a stove. We placed a stockpile of wood at the stove door and just used one door as an entrance/exit which is also where we placed packs when it was snowing. Like I said it was tight but doable. I was pretty impressed on the durability actually as I’m pretty rough on gear. I did manage to break a plastic tension piece by one of the doors trying to relocate camp in a hurry when it was frozen solid to the ground. I don’t necessarily put the tent at fault for that though, as like i said, I’m pretty rough on gear and the piece itself still works but just takes a little more work to loosen up. Overall, I’m happy with how it performed so far. I will be doing one last hot tent out of this setup on an 8 day hunt in mid December and will follow-up if I find any problems.

Whiskey_Z

FNG
@TxLite I ended up going with the Peax Solitude. So far I’ve put 15 nights in it. 7 of the nights being with the argali stove setup. The highlight of the Solitude is the crosstrek stabilization by far which i think is the real deal. It held up really well in the 25+ winds on a prairie mule deer hunt where I had almost no wind breaks. It also is awesome for hanging gear to dry out. With the stove I got to run it down to single digit temps on a mountain hunt with a small amount of snow/ice and it held up really well. As mentioned above, it was a tight fit with 2 guys and a stove. We placed a stockpile of wood at the stove door and just used one door as an entrance/exit which is also where we placed packs when it was snowing. Like I said it was tight but doable. I was pretty impressed on the durability actually as I’m pretty rough on gear. I did manage to break a plastic tension piece by one of the doors trying to relocate camp in a hurry when it was frozen solid to the ground. I don’t necessarily put the tent at fault for that though, as like i said, I’m pretty rough on gear and the piece itself still works but just takes a little more work to loosen up. Overall, I’m happy with how it performed so far. I will be doing one last hot tent out of this setup on an 8 day hunt in mid December and will follow-up if I find any problems.
I’m in the hot tent market (debating the same 3 choices you did) and would be interested in hearing how the Solitude is holding up for you so far and your overall opinion on it. Any regrets or wishing you’d have gone with the Argali Anatole or SO Cimmaron? Thanks

3 man and stove in a Cimarron would be no go unless the 3rd was a kid. I run a SO 6 man tipi with stove for rifle. My buddy and I are both 6'5". Plenty of room. 3rd would be doable but not as comfortable

OP
D
I’m in the hot tent market (debating the same 3 choices you did) and would be interested in hearing how the Solitude is holding up for you so far and your overall opinion on it. Any regrets or wishing you’d have gone with the Argali Anatole or SO Cimmaron? Thanks
No regrets, the tent is awesome. The biggest thing I wish Peax would come out with is a half insert similar to the Argali version to help with condensation if you’re somewhat close to the road.