Has Anyone Made a Good Homemade Protein Bar?

I only found one thread on this from 2015, and it had no replies. So starting a new one....

I've been trying to up my protein intake, and I have found that I need 1-2 "snacks" outside of normal meal times to try and hit the 1g/1 lb of body weight ratio I am shooting for. Shooting for something that is high in protein (obviously) and low in sugar and fat. Quest bars have been really good for that, but they are somewhat expensive for a daily thing. I found an online recipe that checks the boxes, but it's more of a sludge than an actual bar and, while edible, it's not great. I certainly wouldn't want to eat it every day.

So.... Has anyone been down this path and created anything that they actually enjoy consuming? "No bake" recipes would be great due to the simplicity, but I'm not hell bent on that.

While researching for hunting / backpacking meals I came across the Hungry Hiker. She has a ton of great videos and a fair number of ideas I took. One was these bars. They take protein powder added well.

Does it have to be an all-in-one? I like the Rise Honey Stinger but it's expensive. Most of the other bars have whey or soy protein. I can't tolerate either one. I can do pea protein but there aren't that many products with it and they don't taste good.

So it's jerky for me, and that's such an easy, tasty way to get X grams that I just use that, and my "bar" is for other stuff: vitamins, carbs, etc. It was a lot easier to just double-fist two products than try to get one magic bar that was perfect in every way...

Affordability is definitely why I'm looking at homemade options. I fully agree there are some great options out there if you're willing to pay. Carnivore snacks are another one that I'd buy a ton of if I could "afford" it. I'm certainly not skimping on my health, but I'd like to find something I can make myself in order to keep costs more reasonable. I also prefer knowing what's going into what I'm eating if possible.

While researching for hunting / backpacking meals I came across the Hungry Hiker. She has a ton of great videos and a fair number of ideas I took. One was these bars. They take protein powder added well.

Thanks. Definitely looks like it would taste good! Looks like it would be quite high in fat content for what I'm looking for on a daily basis, but I could see how it may be good for something like a backpacking trip/hunt.

I make my own using a food processor. It's amazing how easy it is to make something far, far better tasting than a store-bought Larabar with ingredients from Costco.

One pretty simple recipe:
Pistachios
chocolate protein power
dried cherries or blueberries
coconut oil
dried dates (or figs work fine also)

Back