7mm PRC Build with a 20" Barrel - Elk Rifle for 2024 - Advice?

I'd like to build (or buy) a 7mm PRC. Rifle is for the singular purpose of elk hunting in the backcountry and will be backpacked in frequently. I hunt western big country but never anticipate to shoot over 600 yards.

I have plenty of time so have no concerns about lead times of components and am even open to waiting for a new rifle to release is that’s the best option.

Parameters:
Barrel: I’m set on a 20" Proof Research Barrel to allow for a Thunderbeast Ultra 7" attached to it (I just purchased the suppressor for 2024 possession)
Action: Remington 700 clone to allow for future ease into an HNT26 chassis if desired
Recoil: free recoil energy <23.15lbs consistent of a 7mm rem mag non-suppressed, non-braked in classic wood stock.
Weight: As light as possible without increasing recoil threshold

With looking at many different rifles, I love the Proof Research Elevation MTR rifle. However... it comes standard with a 24" barrel only and there is no 20" barrel option. The best idea I've figured is to buy this rifle and do a barrel swap with gunsmith and sell the stock barrel. I’ve also wondered if could modify stock barrel. I'm torn on the idea of modifying a brand new rifle altogether.

View attachment 565631

Is there a better way to get to a build as described with similar component like this more effectively or affordably? Any other advice worth considering?
Just shot my buddy's Gunwerks Nexus with the 20" barrel in a 300prc, and it was damn near a one hole group at 100yds. the stock is super comfortable, and trigger was nice and crisp as well. I need to chrono his 20' against my Gunwerks Magnus 300prc with a 22" barrel just to see what the fps difference is. For the price of the Nexus and the switch barrel system, I'm thinking I need one in a 6.5prc myself.... well a 7prc couldn't hurt either! $5685 on Eurooptic.com and that came with a Gunwerks case as well.

There's definitely lighter options, have you looked at his new CDG action?
Well I want a CRF (already have a Zermatt and wanna try something new) and I’d actually like it heavier for the build I’m going for. Don’t want a lightweight gun. CDG seems kinda weird to me and don’t need a $1800 action for this build. That’s why I’m kinda stuck on the nucleus

OP
C

cwpepper

Lil-Rokslider
Update: Abandoning Hornady 7mm PRC

With all the reports in the Hornady 175gr ELDX velocities being hundreds of feet lower than their 3000fps advertisements, and Hornady acknowledging using alternative powder substitutes after being called out by consumers but still continuing to market 3000fps on every box of ammunition, take customers money, and offer no remediation… this tipped me over the edge of finishing this project and abandon supporting the Hornady designed 7mm PRC cartridge altogether as my trust is lost with the company.

For more info check this video out:

Ultimately, as a strong supporter of capitalism I decided to speak with my dollar, and despite being at the final stages of my build, I walked into my gun shop yesterday and returned my action, barrel and HNT26 and will shifting this project to a 6.8 Western.

Unfortunately, I will not have a final update for this build. Instead, I’ll have a 6.8 Western Build in about 4 months - If anyone wants information on that feel free to reach out, but I don’t anticipate to be on this thread any longer as I won’t be connected with the 7mm prc despite being the original poster.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Update: Abandoning Hornady 7mm PRC

With all the reports in the Hornady 175gr ELDX velocities being hundreds of feet lower than their 3000fps advertisements, and Hornady acknowledging using alternative powder substitutes after being called out by consumers but still continuing to market 3000fps on every box of ammunition, take customers money, and offer no remediation… this tipped me over the edge of finishing this project and abandon supporting the Hornady designed 7mm PRC cartridge altogether as my trust is lost with the company.

For more info check this video out:

Ultimately, as a strong supporter of capitalism I decided to speak with my dollar, and despite being at the final stages of my build, I walked into my gun shop yesterday and returned my action, barrel and HNT26 and will shifting this project to a 6.8 Western.

Unfortunately, I will not have a final update for this build. Instead, I’ll have a 6.8 Western Build in about 4 months - If anyone wants information on that feel free to reach out, but I don’t anticipate to be on this thread any longer as I won’t be connected with the 7mm prc despite being the original poster.
I was going to post this in the factory velocity thread - it’s a good detailed account of “what’s up” for sure.

Are you still planning to build the 6.8 on the Hnt 26 chassis or shifting direction there too?

OP
C

cwpepper

Lil-Rokslider
I was going to post this in the factory velocity thread - it’s a good detailed account of “what’s up” for sure.

Are you still planning to build the 6.8 on the Hnt 26 chassis or shifting direction there too?
HNT26 still but had to swap from the Long Action to Short Action versions. Had to swap action and barrel too; all other items of my build will be the same.

Machingeaneer

Lil-Rokslider
I get the frustration with the advertised velocity but 6.8 Western seems like an interesting choice for better factory support. I've seen significantly more 7 PRC on the shelf than 6.8 Western and a quick ammoseek search supports this (160 results for 6.8W vs 407 for 7PRC).

The largest delta in average velocity I saw in the video was 101 fps. Yes you need to dial up a bit further but at your self prescribed max range of 600 yds you're still retaining well over 2100fps, plenty for proper bullet performance.

If it's just a matter of principle I get it but personally I'd rather have plentiful factory ammo to shoot. Just my take, good luck with the revised build.

gtriple

WKR
I'm just getting Unknown Munitions to load me up their best ELD-X 7PRC load. I was going to do this anyways because I like their consistency over factory ammo.

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
I'm just getting Unknown Munitions to load me up their best ELD-X 7PRC load. I was going to do this anyways because I like their consistency over factory ammo.
Please let us know how it shoots and what kind of velocity’s you get. I may end up ordering from them also.

Randyb

FNG
Eh, you are getting an average (at best) trigger and a mediocre action IMO.

Tikka action $700 (although I often find them for sub 600)
Proof barrel $950
HNT26 $1500
$3150

What is your realistic budget?
where do you normally look for Tikka actions for $600-$700