284 WIN Throat Length

wabash503

Lil-Rokslider
RS Nation,

For you guys running 284 WIN, what's bullets are you running and what throat length / reamer did you go with? I'm pretty interested in this cartridge, but want to know more about getting the throat right for high b.c. bullets in 165-175 grains. Similar to the Nosler ABLRs or Berger VLDs. Thanks!

I have a 284WIN barrel from PBB that they say is a sammi reamer. It that is accurate the throat has plenty of room to seat all of those optimally and not be on the lands, I can't find my notes on all the bullets I measured but my preliminary measurements has the 162ELDM at ~3.187 COAL touching the lands, which with the bullet seated optimally is ~0.06" off. There is plenty of neck to support the bullet if wanting to get closer to the lands. Hope that helps.

284 win SAAMI chamber has an older style throat that doesn't have freebore. Rather, it starts at a significantly over bore dimension 0.290" in front of the case mouth and has a constant taper until it it is below groove diameter. Most custom designed chambers or new cartridges now use a parallel freebore slightly larger than the bullet diameter and then a shorter lead instead. How important that is or isnt i cant say but I'd probably look for that if having a custom barrel made.

Keep in mind, freebore diameter and leade angle play into how far a bullet has to move forward before making contact with the lands in addition to freebore length.

I have a 284WIN barrel from PBB that they say is a sammi reamer. It that is accurate the throat has plenty of room to seat all of those optimally and not be on the lands, I can't find my notes on all the bullets I measured but my preliminary measurements has the 162ELDM at ~3.187 COAL touching the lands, which with the bullet seated optimally is ~0.06" off. There is plenty of neck to support the bullet if wanting to get closer to the lands. Hope that helps.

If you're seating a 162 eld optimally puts it 0.006" off the lands, that still is a little shorter than Id think ideal and a longer bullet will be in the donut area. Not saying theres any reason that wouldn't work acceptably though.

Hi OP

My 284WIN rifle has a Carbon Six barrel. Was told they used a Manson reamer w/a 2019 design date (+ C6 described as SAAMI chambering).

So far I've loaded 3 different bullets using RL26. 165 TGK, 175 EH, and 195 EOL. Accuracy for all 3 bullets is impressive with wide/forgiving nodes, easy to load for. Rifle has a medium action length so mags can fit up to 3.25" OAL. To contact with lands, each bullet measures TGK @ 3.22", EH @ 3.24", and the EOL @ 3.31".

Also have a very accurate 7WSM (Benchmark) throated to shoot 195 EOLs. Can load a bit longer with my 284WIN, both are ideal for maxing out a medium length magazine. 165 TGK bullet is my easy favorite for both rifles.

Hope this helps!

Shameless plug: I have 100 pieces of 284WIN brass listed for sale if anyone is interested. See ad under gun classifieds.

Back