.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

IDVortex

WKR
.223 is perfect for deer, with a few important points though. ..you have to use a slow expansion bullet. keep shots under 150 yards. obviously others here will debate but believe me. my picks are barnes tsx as mentioned above or better winchester deer season...the bullet has to be slow expanding.
what not to do...dont use varmint rounds up close, no penetrate
dont use fmj or matchkings far out. theyll wound but not good enuf
do not try headshots they nearly never work on deer anatomy
ok let flames start
I feel you read the thread, then decided you'll discredit everything in it and go the opposite of what the thread showed.

IDVortex

WKR
Hunters love to exaggerate how big/tough/hard to kill that animals are.
Well, it also goes back to me not actually looking into how big the vitals truly are on the animals I'm hunting. I'm just still living and following the way I was taught when I first started archery that as long as you put the arrow behind the shoulder you'll hit something because the lungs take up such a huge area.

Just learning something new and trying to be humble that in fact I don't know shit. 😂

Big T C

FNG
DON'T HAVE TIME TO READ 176 PAGES? HERE'S THE CHEAT SHEET.

“Bullets matter more than headstamps.”

“Spent primers offer the supreme tutorial”.

I’ve read it here and elsewhere online. It got my attention. I started digging and asking questions and listened.

The 77gr TMK delivered by a .223 is where I ended up after many discussions and objective data regarding bullet performance and numerous pics of field results.

Now for the delivery system. Accurate. Repeatable. Reliable. Reasonable weight to afford steady shot placement and the ability to spot my own impacts yet packable. Tikka T3x, vertical grip, Sportsmatch rings, SWFA 6x MQ in mills. Replaced the trigger spring with a yo Dave, adjusted to my liking, then degreased everything and locked all of the screws down with loctite and got started.

The package checks all of the boxes. Plus, it’s FUN! Time at the range is spent learning to call wind, trigger control, spotting your own impacts and figuring out why a shot did or did not end up where you wanted it. No brake. No flinch. Inexpensive to shoot. The fun factor plus the ability to be able to afford to shoot a lot goes a long way to learning and understanding shooting, accuracy and precision.

With all of that said, I’ve decided to use 77 TMK out of a .223 from this delivery system for bear, deer and elk this season.

Opportunity presented itself a couple of days ago. I killed a mature, dry sow with the 77 TMK. Bullet performance exceeded all expectations! The terminal performance is on par with anything I’ve seen in a .284 or .30. Unreal performance. The bullet is a BEAST!

Practice will continue throughout the summer in preparation for the upcoming deer and elk seasons.

Based on my sample of one, the 77 TMK out of a .223 is truly a lethal combination well suited to a dedicated lower 48 big game rifle.

Would love to hear about others experiences with this bullet or similar bulletts!
About any caliber will kill I would not recommend using a 223.

Axlrod

WKR
About any caliber will kill I would not recommend using a 223.
I agree 100%. The only 223 caliber bullets available are 40 & 45 grain, intended for 22 Hornets that were originally a .223 bore. A much better option is .224 caliber in say a 223...

WKR
What would really be nice on this thread is for FNG'S or whoever to actually read the ENTIRE contents before they make a post.

Randy
I'm not sure that's a fair ask anymore. When it was sub 200 pages it was fair, but even that was a homework assignment most wouldn't have time for. I'm lucky I read it when i did. Now, it's at least 150 pages of reloading/ammo search/rifle selection/off topic drivel.

If there was a sticky post with the updated table of content, 100 pages of necropsy and kill photos/data, and maybe three or four redundant arguments by different fng/dissenters, that would be a fair assignment. Just enough to be like, "here's the data, here's photographs of proof, here's 5 people who already made the same argument you think might be new."

Tons of great info in here, but no way I'd read it start to finish at 360+ pages.

IDVortex

WKR
I'm not sure that's a fair ask anymore. When it was sub 200 pages it was fair, but even that was a homework assignment most wouldn't have time for. I'm lucky I read it when i did. Now, it's at least 150 pages of reloading/ammo search/rifle selection/off topic drivel.

If there was a sticky post with the updated table of content, 100 pages of necropsy and kill photos/data, and maybe three or four redundant arguments by different fng/dissenters, that would be a fair assignment. Just enough to be like, "here's the data, here's photographs of proof, here's 5 people who already made the same argument you think might be new."

Tons of great info in here, but no way I'd read it start to finish at 360+ pages.
Then I'd assume it would be fair to not respond to a thread that you haven't read.

WKR
Then I'd assume it would be fair to not respond to a thread that you haven't read.
*In its entirety- that's all I was pointing out. I think someone could read half of it and have a fair right to post. I'm not sure how reading hundreds of posts about reloading data and sources for tmks would make a difference in what someone's opinion on hunting with 223 might be.

I get it. It's tiresome to see the same argument over and over by people who clearly haven't read any of it. But this thread has become quite the obese monster.

I'm partly pointing this out to try and nudge people to stay on topic instead of using it as a bin for anything 223 related. I love checking in and seeing the recent bear updates any any other proof of use posts.

I treat it like a girly magazine. Just look at the pictures.

P

IDVortex

WKR
I get it. It's tiresome to see the same argument over and over by people who clearly haven't read any of it. But this thread has become quite the obese momonster.
I agree but also disagree, if one is willing to sift through all of it, there's some very good data, arguments and proof. But, one also has be willing to have a more open mind on the subject, I feel most of the noobs who are just commenting one comment then never reappear aren't even willing to debate it or have a open eye on it. So no matter if this was only a 10 reply thread, you'd still have the same guys adding their vague argument.
If only there was a way to lock commenting until you’ve viewed every page. Like those terms and agreements that you have to scroll through the whole thing before it lets you click the box.
Wait, you're supposed to read that stuff? I just scroll until I can sign it. Then I blame the world when I get screwed over.

Can we at least agree that future bullet/ammo/gun sourcing topics should be directed to another thread? I’m aware of a thread for built rokslide special guns, but there is such a cult following for one specific recipe that I think it warrants a rifle “how-to” thread for first timers as well as a “where to source” 223 hunting ammo and reloading components thread. That would really clean up this one by sticking to terminal performance.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I agree but also disagree, if one is willing to sift through all of it, there's some very good data, arguments and proof. But, one also has be willing to have a more open mind on the subject, I feel most of the noobs who are just commenting one comment then never reappear aren't even willing to debate it or have a open eye on it. So no matter if this was only a 10 reply thread, you'd still have the same guys adding their vague argument.
I agree. Though, I avoided even opening this thread as I disagreed with it for a few years. Then @fwafwow drug me into it with the bear stuff, then I read it all, then I changed my mind.

This has certainly become an unreadable morass, I don't even try to keep up with it, and open it to read the last page or two about once a month.
Wait, you're supposed to read that stuff? I just scroll until I can sign it. Then I blame the world when I get screwed over.
:ROFLMAO:

Can we at least agree that future bullet/ammo/gun sourcing topics should be directed to another thread? I’m aware of a thread for built rokslide special guns, but there is such a cult following for one specific recipe that I think it warrants a rifle “how-to” thread for first timers as well as a “where to source” 223 hunting ammo and reloading components thread. That would really clean up this one by sticking to terminal performance.
This would be nice, but I don't think it would happen. There are several threads on 223 loading, but they don't get the traffic and responses like this one does.

This would be nice, but I don't think it would happen. There are several threads on 223 loading, but they don't get the traffic and responses like this one does.
If it's started and monitored by a knowledgeable WKR or admin it could do well. I've seen a few come and go by newbies looking for some advice but none that I can remember being specifically related to the "rokslide preferred" 223 hunting loads.

BigNate

WKR
I have an a 223 remington 700 from 2012-ish. It doesn't give the twist rate. What do you think it would be? 1:10? What bullet would you recommend for bear and deer? I want my son to use the gun when he starts out.
I think I have one that's a couple years older, it's not 1:10 for sure. I think mine is 1:12.

The best I've used on deer is 64gr WW PowerPoint, or 64gr Nosler bsb. I do have 50gr ttsx loaded right now but have not killed anything big with them.

Mine is very accurate with 45gr tsx and the 50gr ttsx. Hornady 55gr sp are accurate enough, but I didn't spend much time on them.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
If it's started and monitored by a knowledgeable WKR or admin it could do well. I've seen a few come and go by newbies looking for some advice but none that I can remember being specifically related to the "rokslide preferred" 223 hunting loads.