Truck Suspension Upgrade

Which coilover/rear shock setup?

• Total voters

TxLite

WKR
Can’t speak to the others listed but I have the 6112/5160 on my tundra and have been very happy with them for the price. Next step for me is to dump the 20’s and move to 17’s.

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
I would adjust the speedometer for the tire size and run it before worrying about gearing. A lot of the newer trucks with the 8 and 10 speed transmissions adapt to larger tires much better than expected as long as you tell the truck the correct wheel circumference. You wouldn't think it but getting that right makes a much larger difference than people think in how a modern truck drives.
Thats what I’ve been reading about the 10 speeds. Dealer will do the install, adjust the tire size, flash the adaptive transmission to reset the learned shift points, and make sure the headlights are aimed properly.

LitenFast

WKR
I have a 21 f150 with 5.0 and 3.73 gears. I put fox 2.0 coilovers up front set at 2”. A rear +1.5” block and icon rear shocks on the back. I had already put on 275/70r18 Duratracs that fit fine stock height. Those are right at 33” about an inch over stock but quite a bit heavier.

Truck handles those tires no problem with 10 speed, just drinks more fuel. 20ish mpg at highway 70-75mph speeds down to more like 17 now.

I’m pretty happy with how it handles forest roads over stock. Less jittery on washboards is biggest improvement.

If I did it again I’d go with icons tremor clone front set up with new ucas and spindles. I can’t complain about what I have as alignment has been great and great even tire wear but I like the idea of spindles and ucas designed for the lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
Have put Bilsteins on a Tundra, 4runner and now a F250 ford. There has been great ride improvement on all vehicles. On the F250 I dropped wheel diameter to 17" and increased tire size a bit. Then did the Bilsteins. Rides a ton better on rough roads now.

TSAMP

WKR
Looking to increase the performance and comfort of my '23 F150 on forest roads and level it out at the same time. I've been reading up on these options and have a winner or two in my head, curious to see what others think. I'll also be putting 33's/34's on 17's with a CASE compressor for air down/up. Will also install rear shocks to match and new UCA's up front.

I don't think my use case necessitates adjustable reservoirs, but if it's reallyyyyyy worth it I'm open to it. Or if it's really beneficial to have them in the rear but not quite as necessary up front, that would help keep cost down a bit. I think airing down will lessen the need for adjustable resi's. No towing/hauling concerns besides hunting gear and coolers, boat doesn't even require putting the truck in tow mode. I am aware that some of these are rebuildable and some are not.
My ford is older 2014, but I cleared 34 inch tires without a level and had no rubbing. I did a rough country coilover and rear shock setup. Front ended up 2" of lift and left rear stock height as is. Tires are 275 65 r20 for reference.

Braaap

WKR
I would sell your truck and buy a used raptor. Even after you spend thousands on suspension, tires, gearing etc it won’t come close to the raptor.

I have a tundra with bilstein 6112 fronts and 5160 rears and it’s pretty darn good off-road. I can drive it pretty fast through rough terrain. I then bought a ‘21 F150 3.5 ecoboost. Nice truck, lots of power but sucked off-road. Even on 33’s it had terrible clearance. I sold the ‘21 F150 and recently bought a 2013 raptor (gen 1 with the 6.2 v8). The raptor is so much better it’s hard to put into words.

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
I would sell your truck and buy a used raptor. Even after you spend thousands on suspension, tires, gearing etc it won’t come close to the raptor.

I have a tundra with bilstein 6112 fronts and 5160 rears and it’s pretty darn good off-road. I can drive it pretty fast through rough terrain. I then bought a ‘21 F150 3.5 ecoboost. Nice truck, lots of power but sucked off-road. Even on 33’s it had terrible clearance. I sold the ‘21 F150 and recently bought a 2013 raptor (gen 1 with the 6.2 v8). The raptor is so much better it’s hard to put into words.
Lol that’s not gonna happen. Especially since they don’t make the raptor in a 6.5’ bed.

Yep, it is an FX4.
Have you already taken it out on rough roads and weren’t happy?

Just curious. Speed bumps don’t necessarily equate to off pavement performance, but I found it to be a buttery smooth ride over any pavement bumps. I also drove a non FX4 and the difference was noticeable.

Marshfly

WKR
Can’t speak to the others listed but I have the 6112/5160 on my tundra and have been very happy with them for the price. Next step for me is to dump the 20’s and move to 17’s.
This is the secret that people don't want to accept. More sidewall makes for a significant increase in ride quality. 18s ride better than 20s and 17s ride even better. Some trucks can't take 17s due to brake size but they all can take 18s.

Also choosing the right tire size can allow you to decrease pressure with the same load capacity and further increase ride quality. I am able to inflate the 37s on my Ram Powerwagon to 35F 30R from the factory 60psi because I choose tires with huge load capacity at a low max pressure of 65psi. That's insanely low pressure for an 8000# 3/4 ton truck but it's the right pressure for the weight. Analyzing the load/inflation charts and doing the math can save people a ton of aggravation with decreased ride quality.

Simply moving from a P-metric to the same size LT tires virtually always requires an INCREASE in pressure to get the same load capacity. Well, there goes that good ride you wanted. Tire choice and inflation plays way more into on road ride quality than any shock change.

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
Have you already taken it out on rough roads and weren’t happy?

Just curious. Speed bumps don’t necessarily equate to off pavement performance, but I found it to be a buttery smooth ride over any pavement bumps. I also drove a non FX4 and the difference was noticeable.
Oh yeah, I've already been offroad about a dozen times in it between shooting, turkey, coyote, and shed hunting. Snow, rocky steep roads, potholes, and washboard. Smoother than my 2014 Ram but only a bit. Not able to go any quicker on those roads comfortably and it really gets jumpy over washboard.

I know airing down / having more sidewall will be a huge help, but I need to lift the front end anyways and I'd rather not do a puck with stock shocks. So I'm replacing them either way. My understanding is the FX4 only gets you "upgraded" front shocks, rears are no different. And changing those makes a big difference from what I've read.

Marshfly

WKR
Oh yeah, I've already been offroad about a dozen times in it between shooting, turkey, coyote, and shed hunting. Snow, rocky steep roads, potholes, and washboard. Smoother than my 2014 Ram but only a bit. Not able to go any quicker on those roads comfortably and it really gets jumpy over washboard.

I know airing down / having more sidewall will be a huge help, but I need to lift the front end anyways and I'd rather not do a puck with stock shocks. So I'm replacing them either way. My understanding is the FX4 only gets you "upgraded" front shocks, rears are no different. And changing those makes a big difference from what I've read.
More travel, larger diameter tires, smaller wheels, stiffer springs and shocks to match. That's your recipe 100%. (That's the Raptor recipe, lol) Figure out what the factory coil rate is and go up a little. Pick your kit based on overall quality and coil rate. They all offer similar shocks.

I'd do some research on the Expedition Portal forum. Those guys are using trucks the way we do. Most people on the truck branded forums are just highway cruisers.

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
If you level it, please adjust your headlights afterwards. Getting blinded sucks.
Thats what I’ve been reading about the 10 speeds. Dealer will do the install, adjust the tire size, flash the adaptive transmission to reset the learned shift points, and make sure the headlights are aimed properly.

Braaap

WKR
More travel, larger diameter tires, smaller wheels, stiffer springs and shocks to match. That's your recipe 100%. (That's the Raptor recipe, lol) Figure out what the factory coil rate is and go up a little. Pick your kit based on overall quality and coil rate. They all offer similar shocks.

I'd do some research on the Expedition Portal forum. Those guys are using trucks the way we do. Most people on the truck branded forums are just highway cruisers.
Just keep in mind he won’t gain any travel from a lift. He will simply move where his truck sits at static within the available travel that the suspension offers. The raptor offers long travel from the factory, along with 34ish tires, proper gearing for those tires, torsen front diff, internal bypass shocks or live valve on ‘19!or newer. But if he needs 6.5 ft bed then raptor is a no go.

Marshfly

WKR
Just keep in mind he won’t gain any travel from a lift. He will simply move where his truck sits at static within the available travel that the suspension offers. The raptor offers long travel from the factory, along with 34ish tires, proper gearing for those tires, torsen front diff, internal bypass shocks or live valve on ‘19!or newer. But if he needs 6.5 ft bed then raptor is a no go.
That depends on the lift but you are right that a lot don't increase travel. That needs to be on the list of must haves IMHO.

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
I'm short, but not short enough to sleep in a 5.5' bed haha. Main reason I bought a new truck was for a canopy sleeper setup. Didn't want a rooftop tent. I can leave my cot and everything in the back, be mobile all day and crash at the nearest flat spot in the road with the 6.5' bed and fiberglass canopy setup. Only problem is it's so comfortable it's easy to not want to get up and go hunt!