The North Fork of the Clearwater

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
My Dad first moved to Idaho in the early 60's and his first job was on the N. Fork for the forest service working in the Ribies eradication camps. Wild country back then. He would tell stories for hours about the adventures he had including meeting the "Wild Man of the Clearwater" aka The Ridgerunner. Some of my favorite country on earth.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought my job as a sawyer falling trees was dangerous (40 years ago); holy hell can you imagine the danger of busting up log jams on a whitewater river!!!:eek:

I've fished the Clearwater for steelhead, fun fishing :)

Worst thing many believe they ever did was put in Dworshak. So much river corridor lost not counting the steelhead and salmon. A few times a year I try to explore a new area along the river to find old logging history and it’s fun

OP
M
I thought my job as a sawyer falling trees was dangerous (40 years ago);
It was, no doubt.

holy hell can you imagine the danger of busting up log jams on a whitewater river!!!:eek:
Yeah, I'm not signing up for that!

What was the old movie where the guy ( Kirk Douglas possibly?) got caught in the log jam ,
head barely above water and then finally is pulled under and drowned?

OP
M
Another great video.
I'm betting Greta wouldn't approve of the facts given at 5:45

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sometimes a Great Notion, Paul Newman- classic show. A lot of the footage was actual logging going on- Oregon I think.

Terrapin

WKR
Sometimes a Great Notion, Paul Newman- classic show. A lot of the footage was actual logging going on- Oregon I think.

I think it was filmed on the Siuslaw and Alsea Rivers near Florence, Oregon. The movie was great, but the book (Sometimes a Great Notion) is an American classic. Might as well read One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest while you’re at it. Ken Kesey (the author) lived just over the hill outside of Eugene. (The books & author have absolutely zero to do with Rokslide’s usual topics of hunting, shooting or anything outdoors… just great American lit.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wowzers

Lil-Rokslider
I thought my job as a sawyer falling trees was dangerous (40 years ago); holy hell can you imagine the danger of busting up log jams on a whitewater river!!!:eek:

I've fished the Clearwater for steelhead, fun fishing :)
I logged with a guy who’s Dad worked on the wannigans. Extra pay made it worth it to him apparently but I’m with you.

Charlie the Lonsome Cougar was filmed partially here too.

I spent a lot of time in that country in my thirties.