Question for the Carnivore guys

Luked

WKR
Just started this diet recently and like it so far.
Thing I dont like is I was a heavy Soda drinker and with jsut flat cutting it out its giving me horrible headachs. I assume from the lack of Caffine.
I am not a Coffee drinker at all. Never have been dont plan to be as I hate the taste.

For those that are not Coffee guys what are you all doing to get Caffine. Or at least to slack off of the Caffine a little at a time.

Would something like Mtn Ops Yeti or Ignite work?

Could do MTN OPS Ignite. Heads up, 200 mg of caffeine, per serving.

Excedrin will give you a little caffeine and treat headache at the same time.

Honestly, the headaches last less than a week. I just took ibuprofen and called it good.
I have gone through caffeine withdrawal headaches more than once and they never lasted more than one week.

I gave up soda at the house. I can only have a soda if I go out to eat which isn't too often. Maybe one every 1.5 weeks or so. It's been 5-6 months now. The longer I'm away from soda the less I look forward to it and the taste is less appealing. My new go to is a little lime or lemon juice in water.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
The headach I had this morning was a good one.
Normally the Excedrin Migrane that has the caffine is the only way I can get rid of a headach.
Took 2 of them this morning about 4am and just now the headach is starting to go away.

180ls1

WKR
Yeah man, don't cut the caffeine all at once or you'll be miserable. Honestly, when trying a new diet I wouldn't cut caffeine at all.

Caffeine pills is probably the simplest solution. Until they show up just get an energy drink or two to sip on or pre workout.

Baller

FNG
Caffeine tablets. You can buy over the counter and I use them on backcountry hunts.

Just started this diet recently and like it so far.
Thing I dont like is I was a heavy Soda drinker and with jsut flat cutting it out its giving me horrible headachs. I assume from the lack of Caffine.
I am not a Coffee drinker at all. Never have been dont plan to be as I hate the taste.

For those that are not Coffee guys what are you all doing to get Caffine. Or at least to slack off of the Caffine a little at a time.

Would something like Mtn Ops Yeti or Ignite work?
Headache is from lack of sugar, not caffeine. You were a heavy soda drinker, and now you've cut that readily available sugar supply off. The headaches will subside as your body transitions into ketosis

180ls1

WKR
Not as much as going cold turkey off of sugar. Brain is a sugar obligate organ. The transition from using glucose to ketones causes very bad headaches. Nurse Practicioner here.

I disagree, while that can be a cause/contributor and something to be aware of, the ingestion of caffeine did cause his headache to go away so I would say that's the main driver.

OP never established if these are regular or diet sodas.
OP never established if he has removed sugar from his diet.
Caffeine absolutely will cause withdrawal headaches. No question. That is the only subjective data that we know in this clinical case.
Maybe the OP will chime in regarding sugar abstinence or not.

Wrench

WKR
Sugar is worse than alcohol for me. If I have it at night, I'm hung over as heck in the am.

bdan68

WKR
I would also blame it more on the sugar than the caffeine. But then I don't know how many sodas per day he was drinking and how much caffeine was in them.

OP never established if these are regular or diet sodas.
OP never established if he has removed sugar from his diet.
Caffeine absolutely will cause withdrawal headaches. No question. That is the only subjective data that we know in this clinical case.
Maybe the OP will chime in regarding sugar abstinence or not.
It's a carnivore diet.. so not a whole lot of sugar going on there. If he's consuming lots of sugar still then it isn't a carnivore diet. Meat doesn't have carbs, eggs no carbs, cheese very minute amount of carbs, milk limited carbs. Again, the brain is much more reliant on sugar than it is caffeine. Sudden drop in sugar on an organ that uses 25-50% of the sugar your body utilizes is much more likely cause. Brain is sugar obligate, not caffeine obligate.

Just because Caffeine makes the headache go away doesn't mean his headache was from Caffeine withdrawal. Caffeine has been used to treat headaches for a long time, even in people who don't consume caffeine regularly. Also, not all sodas are caffeinated.

Last edited:
I disagree, while that can be a cause/contributor and something to be aware of, the ingestion of caffeine did cause his headache to go away so I would say that's the main driver.
Its not a "possible contributor". If you tank your sugar (your brains primary energy source) you will experience headaches.

Caffeine is used to treat headaches in people that don't consume caffeine regularly also. Caffeine works by constricting the blood vessels in the brain and by doing so relieves headache pain. Thats why you see aspirin that also has caffeine in it. The caffeine will have this effect regardless of whether someone has a regular caffeine intake or not. So kind of a moot point that the headache went away with caffeine intake.

Last edited:
It's a carnivore diet.. so not a whole lot of sugar going on there. If he's consuming lots of sugar still then it isn't a carnivore diet. Meat doesn't have carbs, eggs no carbs, cheese very minute amount of carbs, milk limited carbs. Again, the brain is much more reliant on sugar than it is caffeine. Sudden drop in sugar on an organ that uses 25-50% of the sugar your body utilizes is much more likely cause. Brain is sugar obligate, not caffeine obligate.

Just because Caffeine makes the headache go away doesn't mean his headache was from Caffeine withdrawal. Caffeine has been used to treat headaches for a long time, even in people who don't consume caffeine regularly. Also, not all sodas are caffeinated.
I don't know the Carnivore diet, but sounds like a classic Keto headache or "keto flu" to me, which isn't really sugar obviously all carbs until your body flips the switch and starts using ketones. I would ASSume the carnivore puts you in ketosis if you're just eating meat unless guys are loading it with BBQ sauce and seasonings with sugar and loading their coffee with dairy creamer and maltodextrin laden powders.

I don't know the Carnivore diet, but sounds like a classic Keto headache to me, which isn't really sugar obviously all carbs until your body flips the switch and starts using ketones. I would ASSume the carnivore puts you in ketosis if you're just eating meat unless guys are loading it with BBQ sauce and seasonings with sugar.
Right, in which case it really isn't a carnivore diet if he's loading the meat with sugary sauces. Carnivore is like an even more extreme keto diet. If he's doing a true carnivore diet, his sugars are probably low and his body hasn't flipped that switch yet to start using ketones.

Its not a "possible contributor". If you tank your sugar (your brains primary energy source) you will experience headaches.

Caffeine is used to treat headaches in people that don't consume caffeine regularly also. Caffeine works by constricting the blood vessels in the brain and by doing so relieves headache pain. Thats why you see aspirin that also has caffeine in it. The caffeine will have this effect regardless of whether someone has a regular caffeine intake or not. So kind of a moot point that the headache went away with caffeine intake.
To elaborate on that, the guy's caffeine intake that relieved the pain was Exedrin who literally coined themselves The Headache Medicine lol. So he's also got aspirin and acetaminophen onboard as well.