Hunting boots vs trail runners for Whitetail saddle hunting

Bogner24

FNG
I am looking at either replacing my hunting boots (danner pronghorn) with another pair of boots or looking at some trail runners. I primarily deer hunt in hill type country or around water where it can get wet so I like a water proof boot with ankle support although I'm not sure I really need it. I hunt from a tree saddle and 98 % of my hunts are day hunts. Looking into it trail runners would be nice as they are much lighter. My feet sweat bad so shoes would also help dispearse heat (I hunt in the SE so I don't have to worry much about cold temps) I am looking for feed back from other hunters who have made the switch and what boots/shoes they recommend.

rcb2000

WKR
I hunt in either Lacrosse rubber or my stiff hiking boots. When you are leaning on the edge of a metal platform for hours, a thin sole shoe will be incredibly painful.
I once hunted in my Xtratuf ankle boots and was miserable.

Something maybe worth trying is a stiff insert like a superfeet green,, in a trail runner.

Kurts86

WKR
I use trail runner mids for deer hunts as long as the temps stay above the high 30’s and it’s not so wet as to require a rubber boot. I hate rubber boots whenever I have to walk more than 1/4 mile and it’s above freezing temps.

I will say most all trail runners have mediocre to bad waterproofing and it seems to degrade faster than a synthetic mountain. I use the HOKA Speedgoat Mids and I have been happy with them.

LostArra

WKR
I hunt in either Lacrosse rubber or my stiff hiking boots. When you are leaning on the edge of a metal platform for hours, a thin sole shoe will be incredibly painful.
I once hunted in my Xtratuf ankle boots and was miserable.

Something maybe worth trying is a stiff insert like a superfeet green,, in a trail runner.
I'll second this. The green Superfeet helps most shoes and boots for me including my Lacrosse rubber boots.

I once hiked a few miserable miles in Xtratuf. They are made for no more walking than across a dock to a fishing boat.

Wolfshead

FNG
This was an interesting video

If I were to wear trail runners for hunting these are probably what I would go with.
I split my time, depending on conditions, between a pair of rubber lacrosse boots and an old pair do cabela’s silent stalker boots with gaiters.
My shortest distance to my closest stand is a half mile walk. So if I can’t walk in my lacrosse boots I’m in trouble.
I love the silent stalkers as I can go miles still hunting in them with no problems, but then again I’m not saddle hunting.