Hunting Big Game with Man’s Best Friend

Do you hunt big game with your dog along?

• Yes

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • No

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Depends on the hunt

Votes: 21 30.0%

• Total voters

wytx

WKR
"Just be sure if you are using the dog to specifically alert you, and assist you, it is legal."

This is exactly what the GW told me was illegal, typo maybe? The dog can not alert you to game while hunting.

RE: tracking. I am rather confident that if you simply cut the dog loose (DD) they will track/trail/search and locate a carcass. It's us the Fs them up. But not generally legal and as useful.

The bringsel stuff is amazing. Blows my mind how you'd train them to do it.

WKR
You teach them to retreive the bringsel first I understand. Then with it hanging between their front legs, they only see it when they reach the carcass. Then when their head goes down they see the bringsel, grab it and retrieve it. No need for this in CO as they can't be off leash while tracking.

I taught my oldest draht to take empty water bottles to the kitchen trash can in about 5 minutes. They have great thought processes and great genetics.

OP
Jason Snyder
"Just be sure if you are using the dog to specifically alert you, and assist you, it is legal."

This is exactly what the GW told me was illegal, typo maybe? The dog can not alert you to game while hunting.
No it’s not a typo. I’m saying IF YOU DO use the dog to assist you in alerting game make sure it is legal to do so. I’ve never hunted in a state where it is and as such wouldn’t specifically train or try to use my dog to alert.