Grizz encounter near Wolf Creek, MT

Some people need to take the tinfoil hat off before they go into bear country

Glad the hiker is okay. Grizzlies are a heck of a critter. I was really comfortable around them a decade or so ago but after being away from them a while I don’t have near the desire to hunt around them

My bad on how that sounded. But it was more like if you start shooting, kill it. Because if it gets away wounded they will prosecute you.
Gotcha. I guess golden issue is if you survive to tell the jury how scary it was.

Them things fresk me out. I think they should be wiped out like the old timers did.

There was bear hair on my front sight. In the interest of full disclosure, I jammed the gun into her side and just started pulling the trigger, so there was no aiming involved. I think it was a "no body, no crime" situation.

IDFG took a DNA sample from my chewed up glove and reportedly tracked it back to a collared sow. She was still alive as of 2 summers ago. I received a picture from them of the supposed bear and her cubs feeding on a road killed moose the spring after my incident. I was using 240 grain hardcast bullets, I believe Hornady XTP.
So the sow and cubs survived after all that? Wow! Obviously didn`t hit anything vital. Those slugs are probably walled off.

Collared female.

I don't know what drugs they use anymore but I have alway thought
that "researchers" have created some aggressive and angry bears.

In all my encounters I never ran into one collared or tagged.
If I had I'd have been much more concerned about that individual's temperment.

I hope Mr Adams has had a complete recovery of that left arm.

FWIW, My take;

Of course every situation is different, Thankfully every close encounter I've had to a Grizz/Brownie- they skedaddled and quick.

When stumbling on a bear at close range- I can understand popping off a shot or two to get them to leave.

Having one barreling down on you with their ears pinned back is an entirely different scenario- they have made up their mind and a warning shot is worthless

Last edited:
Lots of paranoid thinking in this thread.

Can ANYONE point to an instance of prosecution where the prosecuted justifiably claimed defense of life against a grizzly?

Back