Dialing in draw length arial view

How does my arm alignment look? This is 30” draw which I measure out at. Debating between 30 and 30.25”. They both feel good. It’s hard to tell. I’m sitting on a creeper seat so I’m guessing my posture isn’t the best but I tried to sit up straight.
IMG_6796.jpeg

Last edited:

dkime

WKR
Pics on the internet will only get you a bunch of random input from folks who mean well but ultimately you have to decide which DL you shoot the best. 1/4” may as well be 2” when it comes to deciding which one shoots the best.

Shoot a 20yd 5spot game at each DL and see which one consistently gives you the best scores. Thats the easiest way to make a change with measurable results. 3 spot vegas games don’t give you enough time to catch a groove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
Try a resistance release and as your pulling watch your pin try it with both draw lengths and see which gives you the least amount of movement. I’ve found if your length is to long shooting up hill or down hill is really hard to pull through the shot. It just feels like im pulling the string off the bow but it won’t fire. Shorten the length up and problem solved. At least for me. I shot for many years with 29.5 and 29.75 and shot pretty dang good but I was command shooting soon as I tried to shoot as they say a surprise release I still shot good till it was up hill and down hill with my resistance and hinge releases now at 29 inches and im shooting the best I’ve ever shot in 35 years.. good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
fulldraw71
I understand. Both feel good. I shot 30 for a day and then tried 30.25 for a couple days. At first I thought the longer felt better but I did notice after a lot of shooting and fatigue started to creep in, I could feel myself slightly creeping off the back wall. I went back to 30 last night and it seemed more solid at the wall. Saw a video by MFJJ the other day talking about your arm angles so I decided to get an opinion. I think it looks good but couldn’t tell if my rear elbow needed to be back more.

Screw how it feels, you can get use to anything. Or might be use to something that's leading you down the wrong path.

Like Dkime said, shoot some scores and track what's happening.

I have stacks and stacks of targets with my setup written on them. It's how you know what is happening, feel is misleading.

From overhead it looks like you are close, but you need to find where everything aligns (skeletal) for you. I have a length that works for me, and it's grip to d-loop. So depending on ATA I change loop length to get the string placement where I want. Changes the actual DL 3/8" on the bow sometimes.

OP
fulldraw71
Screw how it feels, you can get use to anything. Or might be use to something that's leading you down the wrong path.
I agree with this. I shot my old Martin for years set at 29.5 and got used to it. One day last year I bumped it up to 30 and couldn’t believe how much better it felt. Apparently I had gotten used to a wrong length.

Zac

WKR
30 on that bow in reality probably is 30.25, or even 30.5. You need to take some lessons. If something needs to be tweaked a good coach can sort that out. Based on all of your posts I think are still chasing your tail.

OP
fulldraw71
30 on that bow in reality probably is 30.25, or even 30.5. You need to take some lessons. If something needs to be tweaked a good coach can sort that out. Based on all of your posts I think are still chasing your tail.
I guess I didn’t catch that in all the reviews. I was thinking I saw one review that said this bow was pretty close to actual. I have a draw board so I can find out for sure.